Photo

Dangerous Covenants off the boat and SHIPPING!!

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#241 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:56 AM

Yes. Yes that does read that way. Also umlauts let everyone know you're serious.
  • Brother Orpheo likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#242 Dyslexic Dragon

Dyslexic Dragon

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:15 AM

Also, our first Soak 3 Armour is utterly hilarious in its ridiculous nature.  Not because it is unuseable (...sort of)  but because I can't picture anybody walking into a sabacc parlour wearing that and being taken seriously.  What I mean to say is, that particular piece of equipment is very niche.

I'm giddy, and I'm not apologizing.  Enjoy, my friends.  This book is mick!

What does the armour look like, what is it called and specs?

#243 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:34 AM

Also, our first Soak 3 Armour is utterly hilarious in its ridiculous nature.  Not because it is unuseable (...sort of)  but because I can't picture anybody walking into a sabacc parlour wearing that and being taken seriously.  What I mean to say is, that particular piece of equipment is very niche.

What does the armour look like, what is it called and specs?

PX-1 Battlement Powered Armor (1D, 3S, ®9,000price, 3E, 3HP, 9Rarity). And it is huge, it takes 5 minutes to put on, half of that if you have assistance. But no, I don’t think its ridiculous. As the GM you simply have to narrate it. As a Bounty Hunter Gadgeteer I could see my guy in this in the future. Bottom line this thing is meant in the frontline of combat.

Let me put it like this. If you saw a tank driving down your neighborhood roads you would shut your door, hide your family and call the cops correct? Every local authority would be cordoning off the area and taking it down or attempting too. It’s the same thing with this I wouldent let my PC’s wear it all the time, if they did there would be severe problems. It’s meant for combat, and combat only.  

Edited by FootNote, 01 March 2014 - 06:35 AM.

"Everything Flows down leash...." -Anonymous 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#244 Internutt

Internutt

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:44 AM

Yeah. And it can't "become the norm" if it's banned by a GM.

My (fast and loose) philosophy is: everything in the CRB is fine, but anything in future supplements is subject to GM approval.

The way I handle new supplements and in order to support the game itself:

While I do buy one of each of the supplements as they are released, any equipment/character advancement tree not in any of the 2 Core Rulebooks (AoR/EotE) that I leave on the table for anyone to look at during the course of the game, they must themselves own a copy of the source book in order to take advantage of the goodies inside.

That way I can guarantee that players eventually support the game in some shape or form. The only non-Core Rulebook aspect I allowed my group to consider learning/taking for themselves was any equipment found during the adventure books/paperback adventures. Or the skill at the very end of Beyond the Rim.

As a result, the 4 people in my group have all excitedly ordered in a copy of Dangerous Covenants after seeing the kind of equipment/advancements that Enter the Unknown had for Explorers.

• I. J. Thompson likes this

#245 Dyslexic Dragon

Dyslexic Dragon

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:49 AM

So its like the Zero G Stormtrooper Armour.

5Space.jpg

#246 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:08 AM

So its like the Zero G Stormtrooper Armour.

Damn near. One arm even has the claw.

"Everything Flows down leash...." -Anonymous 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#247 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,924 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

I don't get the Oompa Loompa reference, but I cannot imagine that I am the first one to point out the awesome sauce that is the RIM Excursions, INC.  Taun Taun Pup Tent!  Page 58, people!

I am now officially beyond smitten with FFG.  To have such a sense of humour as to include this little gem is beyond wit AND whimsy. The single thing that makes this book great is that.

There are other cool things in there, and I am intrigued by the GM section, which has some interesting propositions for combat scenarios which I am going to peruse in the near future.

I'd have to say that a sabacc parlour is pretty niche too. There are plenty of places many PCs may choose to never go, and for some of the places they do go, heavier armor types may be the norm.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#248 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

Considering Miniature Market is totally offline for 5 days and not even responding to my requests to cancel, I'm pretty much done with them. Looking for a new place to pre-order the future FFG books from.

Although to be fair - this was a poorly timed, one off incident. The odds of them having their business disrupted by moving again during the launch of another FFG book are shockingly small.

• Liloki and themensch like this

#249 MandalorynOranj

MandalorynOranj

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

Yeah I don't really think it's fair to blame them, they've been announcing this move for a while and it's just unfortunate timing that it coincided with the book coming out.

• Doc, the Weasel and themensch like this

#250 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

Yeah, but the sad thing is it will probably now become the norm.

Heck, following on from that that earlier thread, people will probably be wearing ten of 'em for Soak 30.

Doubtful.

Those armors have some pretty hefty drawbacks, particularly the Steelskin armor (Encumbrance 8) as well as the powered armor once it runs out of juice (skyrockets from Encumbrance 3 to Encumbrance 12; and having the power packs run dry sounds like a great use for a Despair).  The Rarity on those armors are also high, and they're both Restricted, which means most EotE characters are going to have to resort to the Black Market, which in turn means paying through the nose.

I know the PCs in your group don't wear armor (if your DeviantArt gallery is anything to go by, I'm not sure they even wear clothes most the time), but I really don't see these two armors becoming "the norm" in all but the most Monty Haul style of games.

If anything, I see the Protector combat armor becoming the new hotness for the armor-wearing crowd, as it has the same defensive traits as heavy battle armor, having a slightly higher price tag in exchange for one less hard point and two less Encumbrance.  Though Beast-Hide armor ain't bad if you don't mind being seen as a low-brow brute.

• kaosoe likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#251 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

I know the PCs in your group don't wear armor (if your DeviantArt gallery is anything to go by, I'm not sure they even wear clothes most the time)

Ooh, back in the knife drawer!

I just found the 'multiple armours' thread amusing. I knew a guy who used to try to wear multiple suits of mail in D&D. That didn't end well.

but I really don't see these two armors becoming "the norm" in all but the most Monty Haul style of games.

Hopefully not.

It's a tough line between the sourcebooks providing some new gear to get players excited, and 'Power Creep From Hell' in which the core stuff is completely invalidated by the splatbooks.
  • FangGrip, Joker Two and ObiWanBilbo like this

#252 themensch

themensch

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

I know the PCs in your group don't wear armor (if your DeviantArt gallery is anything to go by, I'm not sure they even wear clothes most the time)

Ooh, back in the knife drawer!

I hope my laptop likes beer, because that's what it got.

• Doc, the Weasel, Maelora and ObiWanBilbo like this

#253 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Heck, following on from that that earlier thread, people will probably be wearing ten of 'em for Soak 30.

You know, if someone abused the power armor so badly, the first despair they got in combat would leave them trapped inside their armor with dead batteries and unable to move an inch while the blaster bolts zinged all around them.

Edited by Desslok, 01 March 2014 - 02:36 PM.

• Maelora likes this

#254 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

I hope my laptop likes beer, because that's what it got.

Apologies for the laptop!

Actually, Donovan's one of the good guys. He actually contributes and gives us stuff on his sites, so I cut him some slack as he doesn't just sit on the sidelines bitching like some people I could mention.

Though I think I may have referred to him as 'prickly', before, as we saw above...

#255 DavenQuint

DavenQuint

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

So to make sure I have this correctly, the new ships in the book are:

Starfighters

• Preybird Starfighter
  • A-7 Hunter Interceptor

Transports/Freighters

• Surronian Conqueror Assault Ship
  • YZ-775 Medium Transport
  • YV-929 Armed Light Freighter
  • 4R3 Light Assault Transport

Capital Ships

• Neutron Star-class Bulk Cruiser
  • Keldabe-class Battleship
  • Starbolt Assault Carrier

Did I miss anything?

Updated.

Cool. Who are the manufacturers for the Starbolt Assault Carrier and the 4R3 Light Assault Transport?

"You can always count on a Hutt to do whatever is in his best interest--even when it's not." -Colten Zurey

#256 Agatheron

Agatheron

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

The Starbolt is Corellian Engineering Corporation, while the 4R3 is made by the Telgorn Corporation.

• DavenQuint likes this

Official Contributor: Age of Rebellion: Stay on Target

#257 jburgos

jburgos

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

Picked up my copy at my FLGS, they had 5 in stock.

Plus picked up some extra dice  :D

Member of RPG Lab

#258 DavenQuint

DavenQuint

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

The Starbolt is Corellian Engineering Corporation, while the 4R3 is made by the Telgorn Corporation.

Thanks!

"You can always count on a Hutt to do whatever is in his best interest--even when it's not." -Colten Zurey

#259 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

Though I think I may have referred to him as 'prickly', before, as we saw above...

Well, the remark about your gallery was meant in both jest and good fun, nothing more.

• kaosoe and Maelora like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#260 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:43 AM

Sorry for the mini off-topic but after this book only three more are announced no?

Rebelion Era, Jewel of Yavin and after that Force and Destiny? Did I miss anything?

Be brave and listen to your heart.

5,935 Profile Views.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS