Brothel Guard

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Venters

Venters

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

I'm a little unclear on his response exactly.

It says: After Brothel Guard stands, choose and kneel a character unless its controller kneels 1 influence or pays you 1 gold.  If he or she does, instead claim 1 power for your house.

So does that mean after it stands I get to kneel 1 character.

My opponent then chooses to either 1) pay me 1 gold 2) kneel 1 influence 3) nothing.

So in options 1 and 2 the character isn't knelt but I get one power for my house.

Do I still get the one gold or the influence still knelt because I got power instead?

#2 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:57 AM

Yes, you get the power instead of the character kneeling.

#3 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

Do I still get the one gold or the influence still knelt because I got power instead?

I'm a little confused by this statement. In order for you to get the power (instead of kneeling the character), your opponent must first pay the gold or kneel the influence. It's effectively the "cost" your opponent pays to change the "kneel a character" effect into a "claim power" effect.

#4 Venters

Venters

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:13 AM

oh ok yea cause i was

I'm a little confused by this statement. In order for you to get the power (instead of kneeling the character), your opponent must first pay the gold or kneel the influence. It's effectively the "cost" your opponent pays to change the "kneel a character" effect into a "claim power" effect.

sorry for the poor wording I was confused by the instead, so I didn't know if they still had to pay the gold or kneel influence.

#5 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:06 AM

Saw a nice trick with the Brothel Gaurd the other day - its response (to standing) is not limited and is not restricted to the standing phase

Someone knelt BG as an attacked and then brought in the Lanni Army via Naval ... the response on the army was triggered, to stand another attacking character, the BG ... and hence the BG reponse was triggered

Edited by HastAttack, 19 February 2014 - 05:06 AM.

#6 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Saw a nice trick with the Brothel Gaurd the other day - its response (to standing) is not limited and is not restricted to the standing phase

Someone knelt BG as an attacked and then brought in the Lanni Army via Naval ... the response on the army was triggered, to stand another attacking character, the BG ... and hence the BG reponse was triggered

Sneaky sneaky. I wonder if this is oversight or intended. I get the feeling Lanni had very few cards that could stand Brothel Guard when it was playtested.

Edited by mdc273, 19 February 2014 - 12:22 PM.

#7 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

Lanni has almost no cards that can stand a character, so I highly doubt it was an oversight.  Outside of using them in an INT challenge, they are also difficult to kneel unless you want to waste kneel effects on them instead of on the opponent.

#8 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:05 AM

You can still use them for A Lannister Pays His Debts. Or reduce them with Flea Bottom. I don't see anything else right now.

#9 sWhiteboy

sWhiteboy

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

Volantis Inn is a nice one to kneel them with.

Also, Toll Gate was around when they were being tested.  So, the stand mid-challenges has always been a choice.

#10 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

Yeah.  We could also use To be a Lion too.  There are ways, but not too many that aren't very good.  Toll Gate is the most repeatable and versatile way I think.  That's a good mention.

#11 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

Oh god I used to frustrate people so much with my Toll Gates back when uniques weren't so ubiquitous. I had a Lanni aggro deck that would just stomp you with 2 claim challenges and prevent you from doing anything about it. I wonder if it'd still work. I haven't played it in forever.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS