Lucasfilm Limiting Hasbro. What does it mean for FFG

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

One thing you have to remember. Sure, the stories will likely be non-canon anymore. But you can sure as hell bet that Disney will do whatever it needs to do to keep the trademarks on all the characters, ships, planets, aliens, etc established in the EU.

Yes, i think so because it would piss off a lot of nerds if they completely threw overboard every author has written under license. Thereare so many locations and a ton of Characters in the EU that are already in the heads of so many fans that in my book it would be a huge failure on their part to go around and just tell us what of the things we like we can have and what we will simply need to erase from our brains.

Such a steamroller diplomacy is just the dumbest thing they could ever do. I just hope they realize that. They will need to adapt some stuff to have a good story to tell. But if they are clever they will not just push the delete button on everything we know.

#82 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

Nobody is talking about eliminating trademarks. Well, except you, of course.

The entire point of defining what is and is not canon is to prevent the brand from getting diluted. Once we know what is and isn't canon, nothing that contradicts the new canon will get mentioned in new material. Now, as far as tech like star fighters goes, the existence of a particular ship from a no longer canon source probably won't directly contradict anything new, which would allow authors and designers to reinsert some of those things into the new canon, but the original source won't be mentioned.

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#83 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:37 AM

But that's exactly ehat i am talking about. Let's say just for example they decide the new Rebel (or New Republic if such thing still exists) standard fighter is not the E-Wing but something completely different. It would be entirely possible. If their Marketing decides they need a new, cooler ship that makes better sales on fan articles.
Or something more important for the EU like the fact they would need another partner for Luke than Mara Jade for example.

Those are just examples, but now it's kinda hard to do something like that and not contradict the EU. And its equally hard to make good movies woth interesting stories and not contradict EU in a lot of important points. And if those would be declared non canon, then well not officially mentioning them ever again is reall a big thing, it's like rewriting stories that are already anchored in a lot of heads.

But that's exactly what i am talking about. Let's say just for example they decide the new Rebel (or New Republic if such thing still exists) standard fighter is not the E-Wing but something completely different. It would be entirely possible. If their Marketing decides they need a new, cooler ship that makes better sales on fan articles.
Or something more important for the EU like the fact they would need another partner for Luke than Mara Jade for example.

Those are just examples, but now it's kinda hard to do something like that and not contradict the EU. And its equally hard to make good movies woth interesting stories and not contradict EU in a lot of important points. And if those would be declared non canon, then well not officially mentioning them ever again is reall a big thing, it's like rewriting stories that are already anchored in a lot of heads.

Edited by ForceM, 27 February 2014 - 02:01 AM.

#84 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:57 AM

Yes, that is a really big thing and it is entirely possible, which is what I have been saying and why I was responding to bearhug's optimistic belief that they aren't going to mess things up too much.

They have formed this group that is going to decide what from the EU remains canon and what isn't. For me, I guess it comes down to the question of whether that group is going to pour through thousands of pages of material and render a judgement on each individual item..."this ship is canon, this one isn't, this character exists, this one doesn't"; or if they are going through and deciding based on titles... "Thus book is canon, this trilogy isn't" or if it's even more broad than that "we're making more sequel movies, so all the books that take place after Jedi are no longer canon, but we can still get some mileage from the video games so old republic era books can stay"

I can see any of those options being the path they are taking, depending on what upper management has directed they do with the property.

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#85 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:16 AM

Yes exactly. And all of those possibilities would bring different problematics for different people with them. I mean what i have read about the EU is kind of a uniform mass in my head. If they go ship by ship, place by place, character by character it would make somi of the stories nonsense, and no one that has ever read one of those nooks would need to be a genius to know what about it now was actually accepted into canon and what not. The inherent logic of books and ganes would in many cases be destroyed

If they go book by book, game by game, well that would be the most practicable solution, but then still it would be utterly complicated to know what was canon and what not. But it would be less confusing than the first solution even if more radical.

To say forget anything after Return of the Jedi would be really harsh. But it would be the easiest thing to do, and that's exactly why they might choose this one. It would also give them give the absolute freedom for their new movies. Although i could understand if they did if, it would be rather shocking and a slap in the face of a lot of SW fans. Some would perhaps not even initially be able to accept their new movies and universe.

It would also be really bad for our Miniature game because we might end up having canon and non canon ships on the same table. I would find that really awkward. Or even worse they might just take FFGs license away to prevent this!

#86 Galactic Funk

Galactic Funk

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:18 AM

Nah, that's easy. Pre and post Disney canon. As it stands now you already have to explain to a novice about the EU and we do that easily enough. It's basically the same thing just a different way of describing who a character is.

I think people's fears are getting the better of them. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride seeing as we will have a ton of new films and projects coming out.
  • Lumberjack Nick likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS