Lucasfilm Limiting Hasbro. What does it mean for FFG

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 Lumberjack Nick

Lumberjack Nick

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

Maybe it's time for a new term: IU (Included Universe) ?!?

:blink:

IU is a good idea, spread it around...
A prime example would be Jedi Quinlan Vos, prior to his being mentioned in RotS he was just an EU character. Then he made an appearance in TCW, Hunt for Ziro episode I think. Now he is included but, how much of what he has effected in the SW universe is included?
Quinlan is part of the IU now... personally I would like to keep canon terms, characters and things, as references for the movies. General knowledge idea and concepts brought into canon from the EU would be easily marked as IU.
I am not saying we need to go through and re-classify everything, it would just seem to make better sense going forward.

Actually he started out as a background character in TPM.

#42 Chris Maes

Chris Maes

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

The e-wing can be ugly, but it can also look pretty good like here:  http://swc.fs2downlo...ing/ewing15.jpg

But from any angle, the defender is ugly...

http://static2.wikia...07/Defender.jpg

Completely disagree with you on both accounts.  Sorry but we will have to agree to disagree.  There are some design elements of the E-wing that I like (both the one illustrate here and the version FFG chose to produce) but any way you look at it, that is a damn stupid place to put that third Laser Cannon! :wacko:

Chris

#43 Lumberjack Nick

Lumberjack Nick

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

If you see an E-Wing in the next movie it wont be "EU" anymore.

Gosh I sure hope we don't see an E-Wing in the next movie unless it's in the distant background. It is probably the ugliest ship ever.

Maybe if they have an advanced E-Wing or something with some extra fancy parts or something. The E-Wing just doesn't look cool enough and if you can trust one thing from the Star Wars franchise - it's that they will try to make everything marketable. That means Aliens, lightsabers, blasters, vehicles, ships, costumes, etc. Anything they can make into a toy and sell they will try. And the current E-Wing simply isn't visually impressive enough to be a cash cow.

I'd expect to see an update on the B-Wing to be honest. That has a ton of possibilities.
They recently released a Lego Ewing didn't they?

Oops it's already come up.....

Edited by Lumberjack Nick, 19 February 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#44 Gosric

Gosric

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

There is a reason i made mine with the ion turret.Especially since the E Wing had issues with the guns. The one above the cockpit is both aesthetically daft and, tech design wise, ridiculous.

But that is just an opinion of course

The Sea of Stars will be my home, Under the black flag of freedom

http://lorelei-shipy...blr.com/archive

https://www.shapeway...ric?sort=newest

#45 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:38 AM

With the announcemnt of new films, they obviously want to minimize EU material on the market in the future, because they'll be hammer smashing established time lines and events with whatever crazy they decide to come up with.

A teenage jedi coming of age movie?

That's what I'm expecting.

Edited by Arthur Volts, 20 February 2014 - 01:38 AM.

• stegocent likes this

#46 DashAkrost

DashAkrost

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:24 AM

well so far the hawk is the only rea eu ship we have as the others will most likely be in the newer movies so i thinks more of a limit to the eu is meant by this

#47 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:36 AM

They're only putting a halt to it so the higher ups can decide what's canon and what isn't in EU. This is a safe thing for them to pull.

"There's got to be a better way to make a living..." -Kyle Katarn

#48 Hexis

Hexis

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

FFG is Hasbro's Father's Brother's Nephew's Cousin's former roommate.

• Tamati Khan likes this

#49 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

The EU didn't get demoted, it got elevated to the same level.  It's considered full canon, we just don't know what's not included in the full version yet.

No is is not.

They have stated that everything published from now on is canon.

(so star wras rebels will be canon, but Mara Jade is not)

It would never ever work to make the EU canon as much of it contradicts the movies.

What is canon is dictated by the Lucasfilm Story Group

They have implied in various press releases that they are going through the old EU material and discarding stupid ideas, like that giant green rabbit, and canonizing the good ones, like Talon Karrde.

• Digitalkiller and aadh like this

Rebel Alliance: 5 X-wings, 2 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings

Galactic Empire: 6 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers

"Main characters defeat a Star Trek villain? Give 'em a Star Wars celebration!"

#50 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

Completely disagree with you on both accounts.  Sorry but we will have to agree to disagree.  There are some design elements of the E-wing that I like (both the one illustrate here and the version FFG chose to produce) but any way you look at it, that is a damn stupid place to put that third Laser Cannon! :wacko:

Chris

I'm not sure why the third laser cannon is such a big deal. I would figure that's the perfect spot to put it: right in the centerline of the ship, but not in the way of all the avionics and sensors in the nose. The F/A-18 Hornet had its cannon in a similar spot.

• stegocent likes this

Rebel Alliance: 5 X-wings, 2 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings

Galactic Empire: 6 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers

"Main characters defeat a Star Trek villain? Give 'em a Star Wars celebration!"

#51 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

Keep in mind, by "discarding", they in no way mean to eliminate the trademark of characters/ships/etc such stories established. And I don't see Disney not trying to profit off that vast list of trademarks.

#52 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

[quote name="period3" post="989333" timestamp="1392821559"]The e-wing can be ugly, but it can also look pretty good like here:  http://swc.fs2downlo...ing/ewing15.jpg

But from any angle, the defender is ugly...
http://static2.wikia...07/Defender.jpg

Very menacing...</sarcasm>

Im no fan of that CGI thing you linked there, it doesn't look very much like an E-wing at all.
The E-wing that I know have been an established design for 20+ years.
It's ment to look X-wing ish. The forward section is very X-wing and as such the overall ship could very easily be made into a
model as it should be not all this dam CGI trash we got in the 90's episodes versions of our beloved CHAPTERS IV, V, VI

Empire: 5 Tie/In, 1 Tie Advanced, 2 Tie/Int, 2 Tie/B, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda

Rebel: 3 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-wing, 1 Yt-1300

#53 HunterEste

HunterEste

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

How did this get from a discussion about Disney's potential meddling....to an argument about form vs functionality :P

The defender may look silly, but if you ever played TIE Fighter back in the day, you'll remember it's a scary powerful fighter....

Quad laser system

Twin-Linked ion cannons

Shields

Hyperdrive

Missile system

One of the fastest fighters and very manueverable...

Yeah who cares if it doesn't look nice enough for you, it gets the job done.

#54 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

I just hope Dark Forces is kept canon.

*Looks at HWK expansion in X-Wing*

But I'm willing to bet that since it was not only a hallmark Star Wars Game, but also has a huge fan following and just recently got exposure again, that it's not goin' anywhere.

#55 Chris Maes

Chris Maes

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Chris

I'm not sure why the third laser cannon is such a big deal. I would figure that's the perfect spot to put it: right in the centerline of the ship, but not in the way of all the avionics and sensors in the nose. The F/A-18 Hornet had its cannon in a similar spot.

It's not the centerline position that's a problem, it's the fact that it is mounted directly over the cockpit.  As it stands, there is no way for the pilot to get out of the cockpit (which is O-K, as there is no way for him to get in, either :) ).  Now, some have said that the cannon slides backwards to allow pilot access but that is just as silly, as that would 1, add unnecessary mechanical complexity to the design and 2, block access for the Astromech Droid.  To solve the latter problem, would add even more unnecessary complexity.  There is also the issue of muzzle flash (as if that would be a problem with real lasers but this is SW, so it matters.  I believe it has even been mentioned in the source material that this was an issue, as it tended to distract/blind pilot when fired. Now, if they had mounted it under the fuselage (or in front of the cockpit), that would have negated all of the above issues.  But sadly, no... that would have made sense and this is SW, after all.

All in all, Gosric's design makes much more sense is better, in my opinion.

Chris

#56 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

Well the E-wing was never able to replace the X-wing due to its unreliablity and high maintainence costs.
Also who says the canopy must open upwards like the X, it is possible that it opens like a car door or even like the car from Back to the Future.
Lasers don't have muzzle flash like a gun does but then SW 'lasers' are not lasers........

Empire: 5 Tie/In, 1 Tie Advanced, 2 Tie/Int, 2 Tie/B, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda

Rebel: 3 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-wing, 1 Yt-1300

#57 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

>No way for cockpit to open

YA' GIVIN' ME A HEADACHE SIR.

• JaggedLittleFel likes this

#58 HunterEste

HunterEste

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

Chris

It's not the centerline position that's a problem, it's the fact that it is mounted directly over the cockpit.  As it stands, there is no way for the pilot to get out of the cockpit (which is O-K, as there is no way for him to get in, either :) ).  Now, some have said that the cannon slides backwards to allow pilot access but that is just as silly, as that would 1, add unnecessary mechanical complexity to the design and 2, block access for the Astromech Droid.  To solve the latter problem, would add even more unnecessary complexity.  There is also the issue of muzzle flash (as if that would be a problem with real lasers but this is SW, so it matters.  I believe it has even been mentioned in the source material that this was an issue, as it tended to distract/blind pilot when fired. Now, if they had mounted it under the fuselage (or in front of the cockpit), that would have negated all of the above issues.  But sadly, no... that would have made sense and this is SW, after all.

All in all, Gosric's design makes much more sense is better, in my opinion.

Chris

E-Wing top laser sponson probably retracts back, see all that space behind it, and that thing that looked somewhat like a runner? I'm guessing the sponson retacts back to allow the cockpit to swing open....

#59 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

It seems like Disney is planning to retcon the EU, I doubt FFG will be able to continue to use EU ships after this wave. That leaves them with have to wait for Rebels/7,8,9 or going backwards into Clonewars, prequel era.

Honestly....I'm not too sad about a potential stop in going deeper into the EU. With the improvments to starfighters/tech we'd just see a constant powercreep that would invalidate all our lists and force us to buy more and more models just to play properly.

At this point, I'm neither dreading nor looking forward to seeing what Disney's meddeling will bring. We just don't have enough info yet.

One of the reasons why I'm pretty sure we'll see a Clone Wars wave while Disney fleshes out the EU.

#60 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Yeah, about that part about the licensee being part of the licensor's marketing plan?

It is fairly obvious that with the new movie coming out, they are trying to distance themselves from the prequels. I'm sure they will go back to the well to mine the prequels out, but after they've re-established the brand.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS