Lucasfilm Limiting Hasbro. What does it mean for FFG

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 Hexis

Hexis

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:25 AM

The EU didn't get demoted, it got elevated to the same level.  It's considered full canon, we just don't know what's not included in the full version yet.

No is is not.

They have stated that everything published from now on is canon.

(so star wras rebels will be canon, but Mara Jade is not)

It would never ever work to make the EU canon as much of it contradicts the movies.

What is canon is dictated by the Lucasfilm Story Group

While we can be assured that newly published material will be considered canon, that's not the only way things will be added to the official canon.  Based on Leland Chee's tweets they are planning on eventually talking about what existing books and what not is considered canon.

However, since FFG works so closely with LFL and presumably with the Story Group I think it's safe to consider the TIE Defender, TIE Phantom, E-Wing and Z-95 canon at this point.  Whatever unique named pilots are in there will be canon as well.  If Mara Jade is piloting a Defender (how cool would that be?) at that point we would KNOW she is considered canon.

• CrookedWookie likes this

#22 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:58 AM

I wouldn't be so quick to declare Wave 4 as evidence of canon. Considering the long, long development time, I'm sure that Wave 4 was well in development by the time they announced the Story Group last fall. And really, this game is in no way an indication of what stories are still considered canon. Disney is not going to force the LFL discard all of it's Trademarks just to fit canon.

• Parakitor likes this

#23 EvilEdwin

EvilEdwin

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

Maybe it's because of Episode 7 being released next year, with the potential for some the EU characters appearing in it,

#24 Chargers

Chargers

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

A possible explanation is that Episode 7 will be dealing with EU material and Lucasfilm/Disney wants to make sure any new products produced by Hasbro have tie-ins with the new film.

This.  Wait on creating figures so that new figs can match the new characters or actors' likenesses.

Or Disney is looking to get Hasbro into a bidding war to keep the toy license.

• IvlerIin likes this

check out www.swminiverse.com for a podcast where we cover SWM and X-Wing

#25 Crabbok

Crabbok

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

If you see an E-Wing in the next movie it wont be "EU" anymore. 

Gosh I sure hope we don't see an E-Wing in the next movie unless it's in the distant background.   It is probably the ugliest ship ever.   

Maybe if they have an advanced E-Wing or something with some extra fancy parts or something.   The E-Wing just doesn't look cool enough and if you can trust one thing from the Star Wars franchise - it's that they will try to make everything marketable.  That means Aliens, lightsabers, blasters, vehicles, ships, costumes, etc.   Anything they can make into a toy and sell they will try.  And the current E-Wing simply isn't visually impressive enough to be a cash cow.  

I'd expect to see an update on the B-Wing to be honest.   That has a ton of possibilities.  

• Scurvy Lobster likes this

#26 Resv

Resv

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

Disney has been very public about it's distaste for the EU and the overall direction that LucasFilm allowed it's property to be developed.  It is frankly hard to explore new and exciting stories if you have to constantly check every single detail against hundreds of books and comics.  Readdressing the EU is one of the smartest moves Disney could have made.  Disney has also been very diligent about removing references to the EU in their merchandise, take this for instance.  We know that is an E-Wing but Lego has branded it a prequel "Stealth Fighter."  That is a brilliant side step.  Also, look at the other stuff FFG has been doing with their stint with the Star Wars IP; they completely changed the RPG and made it all about the Rebellion.  WotC was all over the place when they had the RPG.  

Why do we get the E-Wing, Headhunter, Defender and Phantom?  The Defender/Phantom make a bit of sense, they were both in classic LucasArt games and we already know that Disney doesn't mind referencing games the classic games as seen with the HWK.  The E-Wing and Headhunter are much more puzzling to me.  Maybe they were in production prior to the EU crackdown earlier this year, or maybe Disney just doesn't mind what they throw into this game to keep it going until EP. 7 comes out and we have a whole slew of new ships.  It's anyones guess.

• pgarfunkle likes this

#27 period3

period3

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:52 AM

The e-wing can be ugly, but it can also look pretty good like here:  http://swc.fs2downlo...ing/ewing15.jpg

But from any angle, the defender is ugly...

http://static2.wikia...07/Defender.jpg

Very menacing...</sarcasm>

Gosh I sure hope we don't see an E-Wing in the next movie unless it's in the distant background.   It is probably the ugliest ship ever.   

Maybe if they have an advanced E-Wing or something with some extra fancy parts or something.   The E-Wing just doesn't look cool enough and if you can trust one thing from the Star Wars franchise - it's that they will try to make everything marketable.  That means Aliens, lightsabers, blasters, vehicles, ships, costumes, etc.   Anything they can make into a toy and sell they will try.  And the current E-Wing simply isn't visually impressive enough to be a cash cow.  

I'd expect to see an update on the B-Wing to be honest.   That has a ton of possibilities.  

#28 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

The Defender/Phantom make a bit of sense, they were both in classic LucasArt games and we already know that Disney doesn't mind referencing games the classic games as seen with the HWK.

The Z-95 had as much if not more 'screen time' then the Defender and Phantom.

#29 pgarfunkle

pgarfunkle

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

Disney has been very public about it's distaste for the EU and the overall direction that LucasFilm allowed it's property to be developed.  It is frankly hard to explore new and exciting stories if you have to constantly check every single detail against hundreds of books and comics.  Readdressing the EU is one of the smartest moves Disney could have made.  Disney has also been very diligent about removing references to the EU in their merchandise, take this for instance.  We know that is an E-Wing but Lego has branded it a prequel "Stealth Fighter."  That is a brilliant side step.  Also, look at the other stuff FFG has been doing with their stint with the Star Wars IP; they completely changed the RPG and made it all about the Rebellion.  WotC was all over the place when they had the RPG.  

Why do we get the E-Wing, Headhunter, Defender and Phantom?  The Defender/Phantom make a bit of sense, they were both in classic LucasArt games and we already know that Disney doesn't mind referencing games the classic games as seen with the HWK.  The E-Wing and Headhunter are much more puzzling to me.  Maybe they were in production prior to the EU crackdown earlier this year, or maybe Disney just doesn't mind what they throw into this game to keep it going until EP. 7 comes out and we have a whole slew of new ships.  It's anyones guess.

I love the E-Wing... I want that Lego!

Watch your mouth kid, or you’ll find yourself floating home

Rebels: 3 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 1 B-Wing, 2 HWKs, 2 YT-1300

Imperials 5 Fighters, 3 Interceptor, 1 Bomber, 2 Advanced, 1 Shuttle

On order: 1 Imp Aces, 2 Transports, 1 Blockade Runner, 1 Rebel Aces

#30 Gungo

Gungo

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

Bottom line is as long as Disney and Lucas are pulling in royalties from this game they are going to keep pushing out new ships. And as long as the new movies have t released we will continue to see eu just like wave 4 because Lucas film approves every ship release. Remember this was the reason why the large ships were waiting final approval.

Edited by Gungo, 19 February 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#31 Scurvy Lobster

Scurvy Lobster

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Erhm... That's not an E-wing. It some ship from the late clone war era. The E-wing is a ship that is first seen many years after that.

#32 Tamati Khan

Tamati Khan

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

The e-wing can be ugly, but it can also look pretty good like here:  http://swc.fs2downlo...ing/ewing15.jpg

I prefer that E-Wing to FFG's

But I like the T-4, T-7 and T-8 from Shapeways more: http://www.shapeways...?q=1/270 Corvan

Tamati "Tom" Khan

1983 - 2014

Was happiest when discussing all things Miniature Wargaming and Star Wars.

#33 KaryudoDS

KaryudoDS

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

The Headhunter is as old as the Tie Defender, also from the old X-Wing/Tie Fighter games. It's also referenced in Clone Wars.

#34 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

But from any angle, the defender is ugly...

http://static2.wikia...07/Defender.jpg

Very menacing...</sarcasm>

Now I've stated in a previous thread that I thought the E-Wing was pretty damned ugly - BUT... maybe it's just FFG's rendition that doesn't appeal to me. Indeed there are quite a few images on the interweb that show it as a long, sleek looking fighter, and that appeals. The initial model pics, and indeed the pics on Wookiepedia make it look short and stubby. I think a stretched version would be much cooler - the EEEEE-Wing.

As for Disney putting the brakes on Hasbro. Is this a sign of things to come? Just how many ship designs does FFG have licence to use? And is FFG going to pop up in Disney's sights? 

I think the game will be safe in the meantime, as the toy market far outweighs the game market. X-Wing is luckily still a small fish in a big pond.

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

Rebels: 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wings, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300   Imperials: 1 TIE/Adv, 2 TIE/Int, 3 TIE, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 Firespray-31

and still building...

#35 Drakhan Valane

Drakhan Valane

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

E-Wing is the ugliest? I take it you've never looked at a Y-Wing.

Rebel Alliance: 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 1 YT-1300
Empire: 2 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advance, 1 Lambda Shuttle

#36 Resv

Resv

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

Erhm... That's not an E-wing. It some ship from the late clone war era. The E-wing is a ship that is first seen many years after that.

Thats an E-Wing alright, it was just rebranded as something else.  Doesn't matter when the "real" E-wing was introduced, this thing was just a way for Lego to get the kit out the door after the Disney EU crack down.

#37 HunterEste

HunterEste

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

It seems like Disney is planning to retcon the EU, I doubt FFG will be able to continue to use EU ships after this wave. That leaves them with have to wait for Rebels/7,8,9 or going backwards into Clonewars, prequel era.

Honestly....I'm not too sad about a potential stop in going deeper into the EU. With the improvments to starfighters/tech we'd just see a constant powercreep that would invalidate all our lists and force us to buy more and more models just to play properly.

At this point, I'm neither dreading nor looking forward to seeing what Disney's meddeling will bring. We just don't have enough info yet.

• Lumberjack Nick likes this

#38 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

I would be willing to bet that they have enough in development to keep it going until they have all new ships to deal with from Rebels and the new movies.

Edited by Audio Weasel, 19 February 2014 - 06:53 PM.

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 

On Pre-order:1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 Z-95, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender, 4 E-Wing

#39 Jokubas

Jokubas

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

Most people in this thread seem to understand, but I'd really like to elaborate on this topic for people who are unaware of the details of Star Wars' canon and Disney's changes in policy.

For a long time, Star Wars continuity has been divided into a series of tiers. In order, it's G-canon, T-canon, C-canon, and S-canon (there are two more tiers, but they're not canon). G-canon is George Lucas canon, and includes the six films. T-canon is Television canon, and includes the Clone Wars movie, show, and the planned live action show. C-canon is pretty much everything else, including games and comics (though if a game has multiple choices only one will be "truly" canon obviously). S-canon is Secondary canon, and includes older stuff that was written when there was less consistency. The term "Expanded Universe" refers to everything that is not G-canon.

What the order of the tiers means is that when two sources contradict each other, the higher one wins and is the most "official" version. In other words, if a video game says Luke Skywalker likes wearing red, but a television show says he likes wearing blue, then he "officially" likes wearing blue.

However, what's relevant to this thread, is that Dinsey has now formed the Lucasfilm Story Group to rethink this system. There will no longer be a hierarchy of canon. Things will either be fully canon or fully not. As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been any specifics yet. I'm sure we'll have things even down at S-canon made official, and things from T-canon abolished, but we're completely oblivious to any specifics. There will be no more "Expanded Universe," but that's only because the things that remain will now be on equal footing with the movies.

That's why the Hasbro thing is relevant. Not because Fantasy Flight Games has anything to do with Hasbro, but because it's more than likely that Lucasfilm's ruling on Hasbro will be applied to other companies that make Star Wars merchandise, as part of their initiative to simplify the canon. Obviously, Lucasfilm will want to focus merchandise on the upcoming films, but we know they're redefining canon, so there's no way that restrictions specifically on Expanded Universe merchandise is irrelevant to that decision.

What does that mean for the X-Wing Miniatures game? No one can say yet, but it will almost certainly mean something (even if we never find out). We know that in the past FFG was working closely with Lucasfilm, so it's possible that all of the Expanded Universe stuff in the Miniatures game so far has been approved, but it's equally possible from what we know that they just haven't started really cracking down yet. The only thing we can say for sure is that based on the Hasbro ruling, we'll at least get everything that FFG has announced so far.

• Lumberjack Nick likes this

#40 Lumberjack Nick

Lumberjack Nick

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

Maybe it's time for a new term: IU (Included Universe) ?!?

:blink:

IU is a good idea, spread it around...
A prime example would be Jedi Quinlan Vos, prior to his being mentioned in RotS he was just an EU character. Then he made an appearance in TCW, Hunt for Ziro episode I think. Now he is included but, how much of what he has effected in the SW universe is included?
Quinlan is part of the IU now... personally I would like to keep canon terms, characters and things, as references for the movies. General knowledge idea and concepts brought into canon from the EU would be easily marked as IU.
I am not saying we need to go through and re-classify everything, it would just seem to make better sense going forward.

Actually he started out as a background character in TPM.
  • aadh likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS