Lucasfilm Limiting Hasbro. What does it mean for FFG

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Lumberjack Nick

Lumberjack Nick

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

Not sure if you heard but Lucasfilm has recently told Hasbro to absolutely not release anymore EU action figures. Anything they are currently releasing is fine, eg Mara Jade, but no more time will be put into developing EU figures for the foreseen future for Hasbro.

Maybe FFG releasing their EU focused wave so soon was a move to get them into the public awareness before Lucasfilm could make their current EU freeze mandate.

Could Lucasfilm's EU freeze on Hasbro also extend over into FFG's games? What do you think? Are we going to see anymore EU ships after this upcoming wave?

#2 Hexis

Hexis

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

FFG and LFL work together on every single ship in every single wave.  There is a large difference between a ship and a human character.

• Julia, Ravncat, CrookedWookie and 1 other like this

#3 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

Well, since FFG is not owed by, nor is it a subsidiary of Hasbro, I don't imagine so.

Edited by That One Guy, 18 February 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#4 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

worst case we go to shape ways...lol  btw I thought Disney owned everything?  but I don't know??  did Lucas keep some licenses?? 

• Filthy Pierre likes this

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#5 bsmith13

bsmith13

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

The issue is not whether FFG and Hasbro have a business relationship.  I think Lumberjack Nick is trying to draw attention to this is the first action that Lucasfilm has taken in licensing since their recent announcement that the EU is being..."demoted" (for want of a better word) in favor lf what will be shown in the films in Episode VII+.

So the next obvious question for us as the players and fans of a game that has pretty much used up all of the fighters from the films IV-VI is "Will FFG be told not to make any more EU ships?".  Especially thought provoking since Wave 4 consists of nothing but EU ships.

Time will tell...

• mazz0 and Lumberjack Nick like this

#6 Hexis

Hexis

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

The EU didn't get demoted, it got elevated to the same level.  It's considered full canon, we just don't know what's not included in the full version yet.

• Millennium Falsehood likes this

#7 LordCole

LordCole

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

Homini pavor nihil prodest

• VanorDM, Hexis, CrookedWookie and 3 others like this

#8 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

Honestly, I foresee FFG being pulled into the LFL/Disney marketing plan. LFL used WOTC to help promote ROTS, The Force Unleashed, and The Clone Wars. As much as I want certain ships for Wave 5, I imagine Wave 5 is going to be Rebels related. With the next year shifting to Episode VII.

So yes, I imagine FFG will not have the freedom they used to have to choose which ships to make. How far reaching that will be remains to be seen.

• Chrome and Lumberjack Nick like this

#9 TK4334

TK4334

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

I've a bad feeling about this
  • Darkheart, Forensicus, Parravon and 3 others like this
X-Wing Regional Champion 2014 Berlin
X-Wing Regional Champion 2014 Hamburg
X-Wing Regional Champion 2013 Nürnberg
X-Wing Store Champion 2014 Wiesbaden, Mainz, Düsseldorf and Iserlohn

#10 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

I've a bad feeling about this

Liked this at first, then thought about it and realized I don't like it, just agree with it.

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 7 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-2400

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender, 2 Decimator

On Pre-order: 2 IG-2000, 4 Starviper, 4 Scik Interceptor, 2 Most Wanted

#11 KaryudoDS

KaryudoDS

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

The issue is not whether FFG and Hasbro have a business relationship.  I think Lumberjack Nick is trying to draw attention to this is the first action that Lucasfilm has taken in licensing since their recent announcement that the EU is being..."demoted" (for want of a better word) in favor lf what will be shown in the films in Episode VII+.

So the next obvious question for us as the players and fans of a game that has pretty much used up all of the fighters from the films IV-VI is "Will FFG be told not to make any more EU ships?".  Especially thought provoking since Wave 4 consists of nothing but EU ships.

Time will tell...

If you see an E-Wing in the next movie it wont be "EU" anymore. I'm sure there will be new ships as well, but I wouldn't rule out FFG making anything we think is EU when it in fact might show up on screen and we just don't know it yet. Didn't think the Headhunter was EU anymore since Clone Wars had a variant of it though. 

Either way I could understand yanking the lease on Hasbro, their product is in a lot more stores than FFG's are and character figures could either give up plot points or serve to confuse people/kids. Plus I'm sure 477 different Mara Jades is enough for collectors collectors anyway. Fighter combat on the other hand isn't terribly revealing to plot and most of the people I've seen playing are old enough to know where Tie Defenders come from (Mommy and Daddy Tie Defenders obviously).

I would guess they could tighten the leash on FFG for any number of reasons but there are still ships from the films still unused and I'm 100% sure Rebels will give them things to work with as well. Of course as long as I get my Avenger and Gunboat I could care less what happens after that.

• aadh, hecabomb, Araquay and 1 other like this

#12 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

Not worried.
  • Drakhan Valane likes this

#13 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

A possible explanation is that Episode 7 will be dealing with EU material and Lucasfilm/Disney wants to make sure any new products produced by Hasbro have tie-ins with the new film.

• Digitalkiller, mege, phxcmd and 1 other like this

#14 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

A possible explanation is that Episode 7 will be dealing with EU material and Lucasfilm/Disney wants to make sure any new products produced by Hasbro have tie-ins with the new film.

This makes the most sense. Star Wars has been all about the toys for decades. I would have to imagine they are stopping current EU production to work on all the Star Wars 7 stuff and to drum up more business.. No new Star Wars toys for several months? BAM! NUMBER 7 IS OUT! TOYS! TOYS EVERYWHEEEERE!

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#15 Spaceman91

Spaceman91

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:39 AM

All this means is that Disney haven't yet set in stone the EU that they want as canon. Not a problem. They will be allowed to make new EU stuff as soon as its nailed down
I didn't mean for it to get this bad.

#16 Quendil

Quendil

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:06 AM

The EU didn't get demoted, it got elevated to the same level.  It's considered full canon, we just don't know what's not included in the full version yet.

No is is not.

They have stated that everything published from now on is canon.

(so star wras rebels will be canon, but Mara Jade is not)

It would never ever work to make the EU canon as much of it contradicts the movies.

What is canon is dictated by the Lucasfilm Story Group

Edited by Quendil, 19 February 2014 - 05:21 AM.

• mazz0 likes this

Cum gladio evaginato!!

#17 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:25 AM

Maybe it's time for a new term: IU (Included Universe) ?!?

:blink:

• Darkheart, LordCole, Digitalkiller and 1 other like this

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#18 LordCole

LordCole

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:30 AM

IU is a good idea, spread it around...

A prime example would be Jedi Quinlan Vos, prior to his being mentioned in RotS he was just an EU character. Then he made an appearance in TCW, Hunt for Ziro episode I think. Now he is included but, how much of what he has effected in the SW universe is included?

Quinlan is part of the IU now... personally I would like to keep canon terms, characters and things, as references for the movies. General knowledge idea and concepts brought into canon from the EU would be easily marked as IU.
I am not saying we need to go through and re-classify everything, it would just seem to make better sense going forward.

• Forensicus likes this

#19 Spaceman91

Spaceman91

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:14 AM

IU is a good idea, spread it around...
A prime example would be Jedi Quinlan Vos, prior to his being mentioned in RotS he was just an EU character. Then he made an appearance in TCW, Hunt for Ziro episode I think. Now he is included but, how much of what he has effected in the SW universe is included?
Quinlan is part of the IU now... personally I would like to keep canon terms, characters and things, as references for the movies. General knowledge idea and concepts brought into canon from the EU would be easily marked as IU.
I am not saying we need to go through and re-classify everything, it would just seem to make better sense going forward.

You should be careful using logic, someone might hear you.
I didn't mean for it to get this bad.

#20 Digitalkiller

Digitalkiller

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:23 AM

So this mean... a Han Solo action figure with... belly? :D

----------------

In a country... far... far... away

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS