R7-T1

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 pgarfunkle

pgarfunkle

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

This card says to choose an enemy at range 1-2 and if within their fire arc you may acquire a target lock, then perform a free boost action.

My question is do you have to be able to do the first part of that to be able to do the second?

I'd assume yes otherwise we have just been given a cheaper engine upgrade for X & Ys but at the cost of the astro slot.

Watch your mouth kid, or you’ll find yourself floating home

Rebels: 6 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWKs, 2 YT-1300, 2 Transports, 1 Blockade Runner

Imperials 7 Fighters, 5 Interceptors, 2 Bombers, 2 Advanceds, 1 Shuttle, 1 Firespray

On order: 3 Rebel Aces

#2 Johdo

Johdo

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

This card says to choose an enemy at range 1-2 and if within their fire arc you may acquire a target lock, then perform a free boost action.

My question is do you have to be able to do the first part of that to be able to do the second?

I'd assume yes otherwise we have just been given a cheaper engine upgrade for X & Ys but at the cost of the astro slot.

I would say no.  It says you MAY acquire a target lock, then perform the boost.  May implies a choice.  

Do i?  No, ok i can boost now.

Do i? Yep, (places TL token next to ship).  Ok, i can boost now.

Maybe it will change in the future, but i believe all ships that have an astromech slot have the ability to TL.

Edited by Johdo, 18 February 2014 - 11:11 AM.

• IvlerIin likes this

My Current Fleet...

Spoiler

For a list of SE MI games = http://community.fan...games/?p=795971

#3 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

We've had this discussion before.

I'm in the "You may acquire a target lock. If you do, you may boost" camp.

• progressions, VanorDM, jedi moose and 6 others like this

#4 Johdo

Johdo

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

I guess i can see it both ways.  Hopefully we'll have clarification from FFG when the product is released.

My Current Fleet...

Spoiler

For a list of SE MI games = http://community.fan...games/?p=795971

#5 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

What Dracon said...

• Lumberjack Nick likes this

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#6 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

I would say no.  It says you MAY acquire a target lock, then perform the boost.  May implies a choice.

That's not how it works normally. The choice is in preforming the action or not. You generally can't skip over part of the action to do the 2nd part.

So in this case you preform the action listed on the card.

That means you get a TL on the target ship, assuming you're allowed to, are rage 1-2 in the firing arc, ect... and then you get to preform a boost. But you can't skip over the TL part of the action.
  • Magnus Grendel and DraconPyrothayan like this

#7 Effenhoog

Effenhoog

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

The way I read it is:

1 you have to meet the initial requirements to do anything (be in arc of ship at range 1-2)

2.  If you satisfy that you MAY acquire target lock (as in you choose to do it or not do it, doesn't matter either way)

3. THEN you perform a boost action

so basically you don't have to take the target lock to get the boost, but you must be in arc at range 1-2 to boost

• progressions likes this

#8 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

The meaning of the card is quite clear. If I wanted to (and I don't) I could argue that if you perform the TL, you must perform the boost.

"you may acquire a target lock, then perform a free boost action."

can easily be read as you must boost. It comes down to where you place the emphasis on certain words and more importantly the placement of the punctuation. The intention of the card is quite clear though.

If you choose to take the target lock, you can then boost if you wish, but the TL is a prerequisite.

• VanorDM and Parravon like this

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?

#9 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

I read it as an if-then.

If you are in range/arc you may get a lock

then boost

So boost is always available if you met the conditions regardless of whether you got a lock.  I do agree though, it is vague and could use a concrete ruling.

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 2xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

10xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 2xDecimator

#10 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

So let me ask a question. The whole card takes up your action, so why wouldn't you take the Target Lock and then decide to boost or not?

There is no down side to taking the lock at all.

• Parravon likes this

#11 Ihavebadluck

Ihavebadluck

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

I read it as after you use it to get a TL you can boost since it says acquire a TL  then perform a free boost which to me means after you use it to get a TL you can boost. it seems to me like the may refers to the entire rest of the sentence not just the TL part and you have to do all of it or none of it

#12 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

so basically you don't have to take the target lock to get the boost, but you must be in arc at range 1-2 to boost

The may doesn't work like that. It's used fairly often on action cards, but you always have to do the whole action, you can't break the action into different parts and only do part of it.

For example Marksmanship says "you may change one of your [eye] into a [crit] and all other [eye] into [hit]. You can't do only one part of that, you have to do the whole thing.

Same for this Droid, it's all part of one action so you have to do the whole thing. The may part simply means you have the option of doing this, it's creating an option for the first part of the action.

R2-D2 uses may, Advanced Sensors uses may, Push the Limit uses may. However Gunner does not, meaning the 2nd attack isn't an option.

#13 PS10

PS10

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

Never mind misread... 

Edited by PS10, 18 February 2014 - 11:39 AM.

Arvel Crynyd - "AAAAaaaahHHHH!"

Green Squadron

#14 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

"you may acquire a target lock, then perform a free boost action."

That's not the text on the card.

IMHO the card works as follows:

1) Choose an enemy ship at range 1 or 2. (If no ship qualifies you cannot perform the R7-T1 action.)

2) If the firing arc condition is met you may (optional - player's choice) acquire a TL. If it is not met you cannot acquire a TL.

3) You may (optional - player's choice) boost.

You are not forced to TL. You are not forced to boost. You are free to do both, only one or neither.

If you do not intend to boost you may as well declare a TL action instead of R7-T1.

X-wing is played over a series of game rounds. Turn is a type of maneuver.

#15 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

Same for this Droid, it's all part of one action so you have to do the whole thing. The may part simply means you have the option of doing this, it's creating an option for the first part of the action.

And the next may creates an option for the next part of the action.

X-wing is played over a series of game rounds. Turn is a type of maneuver.

#16 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

5a773ab38f57bbf3fdd7dae5b9809107.png

r7-t1.png

I would say we would have an easy answer as to how R7-T1 is used with Marksmanship until I noticed that the cards are written slightly differently.

For the second portion of Marksmanship states "and all of your other (eyeball) results to (hit) results."

For R7-T1 it says "Then, you may perform a free boost action."

The wording is slightly different on each card and that may factor into how they work.

R7-T1 gives two choices it seems, one for acquiring a TL and one for performing the boost.

Marksmanship only gives one at the beginning of the action.

Both cards seem to work differently in that Marksmanship has a choice at the beginning of the action but if you choose to use it you have to resolve the entire thing. With R7-T1 it looks like there's more involved (two choices). My best guess as to how it is used is like dvor stated.

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#17 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

And the next may creates an option for the next part of the action.

So the boost may be optional, but I'm still not sure the TL is. Given the way the two lines are written, it seems like a if/then statement.

So you may preform a TL action, and if you do, then you may preform a boost action. IMO the word Then implies you can only do the 2nd part if you do the 1st part.

But if FFG ruled otherwise it wouldn't surprise me greatly.
  • Parravon and J43G3RM31ST3R like this

#18 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

The actual wording on the card does imply you must TL first in order to boost.

You may acquire a target lock on that ship. Then you may perform a free boost action.

The 'Then' in the boost statement makes the act sequential with the prior act.

It is however a non issue, because why would you not take the TL. As I stated earlier, this droid uses your action so taking the target lock has no downside. Then you may or may not boost.

Edited by Englishpete, 18 February 2014 - 11:56 AM.

• Millennium Falsehood, Parravon and J43G3RM31ST3R like this

#19 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

As I stated earlier, this droid uses your action so taking the target lock has no downside.

Only thing I can think of is you have a TL on someone else you don't want to give up. There's also Kagi, not completely sure how he'd interact with this.

If he's not range 1-2 and has the ship with the droid in his fire arc, then he's not a eligible target...

#20 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

I agree with your Kagi statement on target eligibility. Same idea as with FCS.

Edited by Englishpete, 18 February 2014 - 11:59 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS