Rebels: 3 great ships or 4 ok ships?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 944 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

What would you consider the best overall approach for a Rebels squad?

Quantity or Quality?

#2 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

I honestly don't think you can underestimate the value of that 4th ship.

#3 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

Quantity.  

• Hida77 likes this

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#4 Joker Two

Joker Two

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

I honestly don't think you can underestimate the value of that 4th ship.

But have a purpose for it.  Don't just take a 4th just for the sake of having 4.

#5 Zoccola

Zoccola

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

I tried so many times to run 3 good small ships but it just doesnt seem to work in a serious setting (thats a problem I have with the game frankly, the elite pilots are just too big an opportunity cost.)

What I found I really like is XXBB or XXXB. What I have lined up this week is:

Wedge + Marksmanship

Rookie

Rookie

Blue Squadron + Advanced Sensors

#6 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

Well, lets look at the different ships that could be "squeezed" in.

HWK, A, Y, X

Rookie is probably the go to (or Blue if you have another point, but at that point, it's hardly squeezing in), but often he won't fit without sacrifices elsewhere.

So then you drop down to the Gold... The Gold is pretty much as survivable as the Prototype, it holds up a bit better at R1 than the Prototype does, but otherwise, no real advantage.  Furthermore, the A has a much better dial, better actions, but is 1 PS lower, which can be useful.  

So then we've basically ruled out squeezing in a Gold, in favor of the Prototype.  The prototype is a much better blocker due to its maneuverability and lower PS.  But it doesn't do well as your last ship.  Due to it's PS1, everyone should be moving after it, making it difficult to know whether you should boost, TL, or Evade.  At that point in the game, there's very little point to Focus since Evade is better on defense, and TL is better on offense, especially since if you don't use it, it sticks around for the next turn.  Obviously boost could be the best option, but it's hard to know for sure.

And then lastly, there's the 16 point HWK.  Which by itself is 100% useless.  Never take a 16 point Rebel Operative.  

Therefore, you'll find your options for the 4th ship to be X/B, used to bolster the attack strength, or A, used as a flanker/mosquito/blocker.

• LeoHowler likes this

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#7 Lappenlocker

Lappenlocker

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

Depending on your league or usual opponents, why don't you agree to play some matches with only unique pilots so you can play some quality matches instead of just defaulting to boring quantity?
  • LeoHowler likes this
Bob Bell, Wylie TX
Rebels: (5) X-Wings, (4) Y-Wings, (2) A-Wings, (2) B-Wings, (2) YT-1300s, (2) HWK-290s
Imperials: (9) TIE Fighters, (2) TIE Advanced, (2) TIE Interceptors, (2) TIE Bombers, (2) Lambda Shuttles, (2) Firespray-31s, (2) Imperial Aces

#8 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Forget that, 6 rebel list FTW!

6x Rebel Operative

That gives you 4 points for initiative!

Ok, I'm not buying it either. :)

Yeah, generally 4 ships is preferable to 3. It means losing one isn't a serious blow to your chances of winning. 3 Ship rebels can be quite potent, granted, but it takes a lot more skill and a bit of luck to pull it off.

• SolennelBern and VanorDM like this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighters, 6 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray-31s, 5 Lambdas

5 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 6 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 4 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300s, 2 GR-75 Medium Transports, 1 CR-90 Corvette

#9 Shanturin

Shanturin

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

Quantity in general, but...

It's been ages since I've regularly run a 4 ship Rebel build. I got so used to flying Lando/Green/Rookie and Jan/Ibti/Garven that I use almost exclusively those two builds during tournaments while exercising other options in casual play. So yes, you can fly 3 ship Rebel build in competitive environment, if you have enough guts and a bit of luck, of course.

May my blade be sharp. May I sculpt a new fate for my enemies.

#10 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

As Sable says... a 3 reb ship can work, but it's harder to pull off. You really have to be careful, because loss of one ship is a pretty major blow.

#11 Davor

Davor

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

How about what ever is most fun? 

I played with my son today. I asked him do you really only want one ship. And he reminded me of something. "I want to have fun Daddy and learn how to use this ship."

Sometimes it's nice to use more powerful ships and loose and have fun than have 4 boring ships and win. 

I guess been hanging around too many 40K forums where people need to win with plastic toy soldiers. Nice to have fun and loose. 

• SolennelBern, Parakitor, LeoHowler and 1 other like this

#12 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 944 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

Nice, the 4th ship is generally a must. 

It's damn hard though, when you don't play often, to build a good 4 ship Rebels squad.  I'm trying but there's so much stuff I want to experiment that I rarely play the same squad and end up doing poorly against good players that know what they're doing.

Need...more...time...

@Davor: Yeah i'm all for that too and mostly build around one prime element, fun.  But playing in a meta of great players that have hundreds of games when you have at most 30, the fun comes from winning and less from the pilot/ship you really want to play :P

But that is the best advice for all things in life: Have fun cause fun is halfway to victory.

Edited by SolennelBern, 17 February 2014 - 04:08 PM.

#13 Crabbok

Crabbok

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

4 ships is more likely to work against a swarm.  Figure you stand a good chance of loosing a ship to an alpha strike - would you rather lose a 21 point ship, or a 35 point ship right away?

#14 Filthy Pierre

Filthy Pierre

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

Quantity over quality in your 100 point list.

If you don't feed trolls they die.

Don't judge on stats alone, play test it for a few games.

#15 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

What would you consider the best overall approach for a Rebels squad?

Quantity or Quality?

If your going 3 you will need to run engine upgrades to make it worth it.

#16 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

I regularly run a 3 ship Rebel list with great success.

Wedge, Ibti and Jan.

It is a scalpel list, but that is generally my preference.

• Takeda likes this

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#17 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

I regularly run a 3 ship Rebel list with great success.

Wedge, Ibti and Jan.

It is a scalpel list, but that is generally my preference.

That actual sounds extremely fun to play

#18 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

I recommend a four ship list with a heavy hitter, a support ship, and two low PS ships for extra attacks and pilots. Biggest exception would be a powerful falcon list, which is definitely a viable approach.

#19 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

This is it

Wedge Antilles (33)

R2 Astromech, Push the Limit

Ibtisam (32)

Advanced Sensors, Veteran Instincts

Jan Ors (34)

Determination, Blaster Turret, Nien Nunb, Moldy Crow

• SolennelBern likes this

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#20 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

I had a bit of success with 2x Dagger Squadron with HLC's and Advanced Sensors, and Luke with R2-D2, but am reconsidering that in favor of something 4-ship

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS