So you wanna run Interceptors - A brief guide to the Empire's glass cannon

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#41 LandoMustache

LandoMustache

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

I have been playing Interceptors since they came out. The lack of lists, I feel, has more to do with finding a sweet spot that can accommodate all comers. The choice usually boils down to one the decision to either run naked/barely upgraded interceptors to get some numbers, or go all-in on elite. PTL is not mandatory, but it's an outstanding catch-all, particularly when taking advantage of an opening or, just as important, limiting damage when a mistake or miscalculation is made. Let's face it: Interceptor lists live and die by maneuver and usually a handful of critical defense dice. With more turret weapons comes a negating of advantage (or slimming an already thin margin for error) and the preponderance of HLCs on B-Wings likewise nips the range 3 bonus making maneuver all the more critical. It's a tough skill set to survive, so I think, generally, it's easier to go in on things like the Firespray or swarm that are, IMO, more forgiving because of their abiility to ENDURE fire rather than avoid it.

The biggest things I look forward to from aces are the Royal Guard (cheap PS6), the title upgrade, and cheap hull upgrade. A 4th hull adds 33% more life for something like 1/6th more cost (give or take), and adds that critical 4th hull that makes it really challenging to be one-shot, even on a catastrophic dice roll. I think 4 interceptor lists, with some mix of elite pilot, Royal Guard, and low level Interceptors, tricked out with Stealth and Hull, will be extremely solid in good hands. To me, Interceptors are all about the "dance," as it were, where you scalpel off bits of the enemy and when it gets down to 2-on-1 or even 1-on-1, they are extremely difficult to beat.

• Johdo and Scurvy Lobster like this

#42 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Is it just me, or is it getting really frustrating seeing so many people advocate Saber + VI? Every time I see that, I just wanna say "yeah, I love warhammer 40k too" (I don't).

#43 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

I don't like sabre + VI, it's just to middle of the road. You lose PtL and don't gain enough in PS.

Frankly, I do not like the Sabre at all unless I am using it to pass on Swarm in my chain.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#44 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

The squints that are still my standbies are:

*  1-2 Alpha + Stealth (along with Howl + Stealth)

*  1 Sabre + Swarm & 1 Alpha (along with Vader or Howl + Swarm)

I consistently do well flying them.

#45 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

5 alpha with targetting computers, while being out of arc, and getting your flank on, grab that target lock. When you get your clean focus + tl shots later, stone hits glass x wing cockpit.

#46 AngryAngel

AngryAngel

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:51 PM

In a tournament, I wouldn't favor a squint. Just because I feel they excel in the dog fight of move, dodge dodge, jockey for position, find an opening, shoot, jockey and dog fight till you get another shot in with safety, and keep it all going until your foe is space dust.

In a tournament it forces you to need to engage sooner and more often then a squint might be best off doing. I'm also 100 percent on the side of stealth device, if your limit the incoming shots, that goes a large way to that upgrade being priceless. Generally it seems if I lose my stealth, the squint is dead either from that attack or any new ones. Which tends to make my squints fights an all or nothing type of feeling.  Which is quite exciting if not always consistent, but that's why I love them.

It also helps if you play " Highway to the danger zone " while you play with them.

Keep them always moving in wild ways, don't feel the need to always push the limit, your actions are dear and sometimes those tight 1 turns, and other whites are needed to evade and survive for the next pass. Manage your stress and taking focus really helps stealth device shine. Don't gain that focus unless its netting you needed actions, or you know you'll be safe from your opponents return fire.

Swarm tactics or things that need you to hold a tight formation I don't think work really well with squints, their best benefit is their speed and fact they can function well on their own, don't fence them in. Separate, form pincer moves, use one as a decoy, draw out your foe then paste um.

Shoot when your in the clear, flank if at all possible., never engage if it means the enemy is easily engaging you, unless you can take them out with the strike. No matter how you tool them, they can't take a beating but they can dish it out. Keep all that in mind and you will live to see tomorrow, fly the squinty skies.

• jasonkw, Scurvy Lobster, Simonsays3 and 1 other like this

#47 wildkatze69

wildkatze69

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:24 AM

I just recently played my first game with an Interceptor. I found that what you pair it up with is most important. That's obviously no news. I had good success with

2x Bounty Hunter
1x Alpha Interceptor
1x Backstabber

Using the BHs to tank into the joust, the Tie's speed up and get quickly into flanking position. Out of arc officially helps surviving and extra punch. Starting position in diagonal instead of straight does also help to easier boost into flank at about turn 3. Then keep the crowd busy with your tanks and let the Interceptor zip around.

Edited by wildkatze69, 18 February 2014 - 05:25 AM.

#48 oxymandias

oxymandias

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:28 AM

What do you think of this for 4 PS9 Ties?

Leaving out Stealth and Hull to get Mauler at PS9.

Think I'll try it someday, just have to borrow one more Interceptor...

Niners (Yes I do love SoA):

Soontir + PTL

Turr + VI

Tetran Cowell + VI

Mauler + Vi

It's actually 99 p, but at 9 most of them will shoot first anyways.

EDIT: Just realized this was suggested above...

Edited by oxymandias, 18 February 2014 - 09:06 AM.

#49 Simonsays3

Simonsays3

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

What do you think of this for 4 PS9 Ties?

Leaving out Stealth and Hull to get Mauler at PS9.

Think I'll try it someday, just have to borrow one more Interceptor...

Niners (Yes I do love SoA):

Soontir + PTL

Turr + VI

Tetran Cowell + VI

Mauler + Vi

It's actually 99 p, but at 9 most of them will shoot first anyways.

This is an interesting list. I still like adding the extra defense/hull on Soontir (since getting him into the endgame is usually where he shines) but must admit 9s across the board definitely has some potential. I'd be curious to see how initiative affects this list....

If you get a chance to try it, let me know how it goes! 

#50 oxymandias

oxymandias

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:08 AM

I'll do that - but I'm afraid my flying skills are not up to par with most posters here, so it's a learning process for me... :)

#51 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

That is actually a pretty strong list. PS9 shooting and moving will allow you to stay in the right places at the right times. Don't fall into the trap of using PtL every turn on Fel, use it when needed, remember you can stress him on K-Turns as well and a focus shot with no return from the enemy is cool.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?

#52 Kelvan

Kelvan

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

I'm gonna try to read this whole thread over my second half of my work day. But I need to get this out first.

Any discussion on the interceptor needs to mention Theorist. That guy flies interceptors better than any person I have ever seen.

Here's a link to his blog page... check out his stuff.

• Parakitor likes this

#53 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

A variant on the theme is the Anesthetist and the Surgeons.....

32 points
Soontir Fel
Swarm Tactics, Stealth Device

47 points
Kath Scarlet
Ion Cannon, Marksmanship, Rebel Captive

21 points
Alpha Squadron Pilot
Stealth Device

Kath knocks them out by Stressing and/or Ioning them, then Fel and the Alpha (shooting at PS9) dart in and cut out the anesthetized ships :-) 

Edited by Englishpete, 18 February 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#54 Simonsays3

Simonsays3

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'm gonna try to read this whole thread over my second half of my work day. But I need to get this out first.

Any discussion on the interceptor needs to mention Theorist. That guy flies interceptors better than any person I have ever seen.

Here's a link to his blog page... check out his stuff.

I would gladly give a shout-out to Theorist - the level of detail and analysis he brings to the table is simply fantastic and everything of his that I've read has given me something to think about.

Major props and much forgiveness if I didn't give proper reverence  :)  

#55 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

I am going to disagree slightly with some of what has been said about 360 degree finre on this forum.  First I agree that turrets and YT-1300 are the bane of Interceptors. 

The superior maneuverability combined with boost and barrel roll actions make the TIE Interceptors main defense simply avoiding shots.  Unfortunately if your opponent has a 360 degree firing arc, if you can shoot him he can shoot you. 

This is how you deal.

1st ion turrets:  Well they aren't as bad as they could be as long as you avoid getting stressed.  The 1 straight forced on you by the ion token counts as a white maneuver, so you won't shed stress.  But the good news is if you aren't stress you can still maneuver to get a shot with your boost.  Getting a shot is key.  Your 3 attack dice will beat their 3 attack dice(that can only do one damage) as long as you get your shots.  I am not saying that you shouldn't ever do a red maneuver or use PtL but if your opponent has ion turrets be extra careful.  weigh the pros and cons carefully.

YT-1300: This hurts Interceptors much worse, but is easier to deal with.  The thing to remember is every time you have a shot on the YT-1300 he has a shot on you.  But you have to get shots on him to kill him so avoiding shots on a YT-1300 is usually a bad idea.  The YT-1300 biggest disadvantage is that it can only shoot once (even with a gunner it can still basically only hit once).  The way to kill the YT-1300 is to cluster all your attacks together.  Make sure that the YT-1300 has as many targets shooting at it as you can every turn.  Seems simple, but it means staying together, DO NOT SPLIT YOUR FORMATION.  Don't try to stay at range 3 since this requires you to turn away from the fight.  And your 4 attack vs his 1 agility is a better trade off than his 4 attack vs your 3 agility.  If you have three TIE Interceptors shooting at a YT-1300 every turn it shoots back at you, your increased agility and triple the starting firepower should kill it.  If you want to be sure then it would be better to have at least 4 or some other ships to help.  This is the main reason why I don't fly 3 Interceptor lists. 

These rules change if you only have 1 TIE Interceptor in your list.  The first time I played with Interceptors I hated them because they drew so much hate that they always died the first turn.  This is likely to happen if you only have 1.  But Interceptors are expensive especially if you want a lot of them.  So if you only have 1 TIE Interceptor you need to do what I call psychological defense.  Basically you want to keep them a range band behind your other ships, take evade actions or do everything in your power to make your TIE Interceptor an undesirable target to shoot at.

If you TIE Interceptor is at range three and evading, where all your TIEs and or Firesprays are at range 2 and focusing.  you opponent may choose not to shoot at the Interceptor in favor of easier to hit targets.  This goes back to what I said about TIE Interceptors best defense is not getting shot at.  This is why I like the Stealth Device.  One extra agility dice only increases your evades by 3/8, and only until you get hit.  BUT if you opponent shoots at another ship because it is easier to hit that 3 agility dice TIE rather than that 5 agility (range 3 + stealth device) then that stealth device is worth its points.

• tinnitus, oxymandias, jasonkw and 1 other like this
Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#56 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

For use with your HIGH PS PTL interceptor instead of "standard" slowroll 2 or zoom 5.

Place as far away from enemy as possible (assuming enemy at top left or top middle), you place bottom right about 2 ship lengths outside Asteroid placement.

Round 1: Bank 3 inward.  Barrel Roll towards the top of the map.  Bank boost depending on what your opponent did.

You just moved a little less than a 5 straight + Barrelroll forward + boost BUT in between you have the oppertunity to change what you do based on what your oppoenent chose.  If they slow rolled, you are still out of range and even if they cut hard for you can barrel roll back and then not boost or boost away from them.  If they zoomed forward you can boost inward directly to thier flank.

It provides you with many more options than the standard slow roll 2 or Zoom 5. 

#57 ManOnAWire

ManOnAWire

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

Right now my favorite list with an interceptor is:

• Howlrunner
  • Black Squadron Pilot x3
  • Backstabber
  • Saber + PTL

I tend to run them as two or three distinct units, with Howl + BSPs in tight focused formation and the Saber and Stabber running separately to flank/distract. This poses three distinct threats, potentially, and makes opponents accept the lesser of three evils to focus their attention on. The BSPs can be dropped to Academies if you want stealth on the Saber or Howlrunner (or Carnor Jax instead of the Saber once Imperial Aces hits).

Rebel Scum: 3 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 3 E-Wings, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Tantive IV

Galactic Empire Peacekeepers: 10 TIE Fighters, 2 TIE Advanced, 9 TIE Interceptors, 6 TIE Bombers, 2 Firesprays, 4 Lambda Shuttles, 3 TIE Phantoms, 3 TIE Defenders

#58 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

Right now my favorite list with an interceptor is:

• Howlrunner
  • Black Squadron Pilot x3
  • Backstabber
  • Saber + PTL
I tend to run them as two or three distinct units, with Howl + BSPs in tight focused formation and the Saber and Stabber running separately to flank/distract. This poses three distinct threats, potentially, and makes opponents accept the lesser of three evils to focus their attention on. The BSPs can be dropped to Academies if you want stealth on the Saber or Howlrunner (or Carnor Jax instead of the Saber once Imperial Aces hits).

Actually, I could really see running Kir Kanos in a squad like this. As a flanker, he would make an excellent sniper. TL + Evade could really hurt.
  • Rakky Wistol likes this
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 5 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."

#59 LandoMustache

LandoMustache

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

This has been my go-to Interceptor list since Aces got leaked.

Kir Kanos

Royal Guard + PTL

Saber + Opportunist

Saber + Opportunist

Opportunist SHINES when you have a couple higher PS pilots to soften up targets to make them cough up the Evade/Focus early in the turn for the finishers later. It also really makes people squirm when considering other actions, knowing there may just be a pair of Interceptors with 4 or 5 attack dice and a Focus apiece on their ass.

Kanos is just a nice pilot for 24 points. If he doesn't need his Evade, he turns it into a guaranteed hit, while the PTL Royal is usually in good shape for a focused shot. It's usually enough to leave at least one target open for the Opportunists to hopefully finish off.

#60 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Don't try to stay at range 3 since this requires you to turn away from the fight.  And your 4 attack vs his 1 agility is a better trade off than his 4 attack vs your 3 agility.

I've been saying this forever but I don't think anyone's been listening… 

• Revanchist likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS