So you wanna run Interceptors - A brief guide to the Empire's glass cannon

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#21 Simonsays3

Simonsays3

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

The hardest part about flying my beloved interceptors are there are no hard and fast rules....

----------
The best way to fly an interceptor is the way that wins you the game. Thier manuverability leads to unpredictability, which leads to Fear. Fear is the path to the Darkside, and we are strong in it. Let our opponents fear us, and through the Darkside they will join us or die. Either way we are victorious...

You've managed to sum up in a few lines what I was shooting for with a whole lotta text :)  Kudos!

What I love about the interceptors is exactly what you wrote - it can fulfill a bunch of different functions all during a single game. So maybe they're a precision multitool? The learning curve is tricky but the more you practice, the more you appreciate just how many options squints have each turn.

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

#22 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

I am a big lover of PtL on Fel, but I have discovered that with a Stealth Device and a focus, plus tricky flying, he lasts well anyway. Plus, you should see your opponents face when you K-Turn, take stress and then focus or evade :-)

Nothing says your going to die better than an Int up your tailpipe with 4 dice and a focus token he wasn't supposed to have :-)

You can't evade after k-turning.

#23 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

The hardest part about flying my beloved interceptors are there are no hard and fast rules....

----------
The best way to fly an interceptor is the way that wins you the game. Thier manuverability leads to unpredictability, which leads to Fear. Fear is the path to the Darkside, and we are strong in it. Let our opponents fear us, and through the Darkside they will join us or die. Either way we are victorious...

You've managed to sum up in a few lines what I was shooting for with a whole lotta text :)  Kudos!

What I love about the interceptors is exactly what you wrote - it can fulfill a bunch of different functions all during a single game. So maybe they're a precision multitool? The learning curve is tricky but the more you practice, the more you appreciate just how many options squints have each turn.

I feel they are simply a more "no guts no glory" ship than most of the others in this game. You have to fly them hard and fast and take risks. You have to use intuition and skill. Each round needs to be evaluated on its own merits and the exact placement and strategy of each enemy. Of course, you plan a few turns ahead but of all ships, Interceptors are the ones where you have to look at how the next turn ended up and think "this isn't going to work, i have to break hard this way and go here" because your opponent was expecting something else. In short, they're the craziest mofos on the field and they require that you fly them as such.

And really when you get down to it, is there any mystery as to why we like them so much?

#24 redxavier

redxavier

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

I've only just got my first of these, and I love it. They're probably the most satisfying ship to fly, though maybe that was Phennir :)

I feel guilty when I put a stealth device on it, almost feels like cheating.

• Simonsays3 likes this

Rebels: 4x X-wings, 4x Y-wings, 2x A-wings, 1x B-wing, YT1300 (just missing the HWK90)

Imperials: Firespray, Lambda Shuttle, 8x TIE Fighters, 2x TIE Bombers, 1x TIE Advanced, 1x TIE Interceptor

On preorder: 2x Rebel Transports, 2x Tantive IV, 2x Imperial Aces

#25 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

• Members
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

No mystery why. They got close... excellent, now i can out my manuverability to work! Oh, they're running... That's pretty stupid of them! I like nothing more than seeing a wounded ship trying to limp away from an interceptor engagement. Screams easy points to me! And the there is always this Q: 3 ships to your 1, wanna call it?

Answer: you giving up already?

No ship takes down 2-3 other ships on its own like an interceptor.

The mystery is why can't they make a competetive list? That's not really even a mystery...more of a single point of sadness.

One thing I like about the interceptors is you don't really have to plan farther than a round ahead because they have you covered! There are very few what ifs that they can't answer and those get mitigated pretty quickly by a boost/barrel roll outta dodge when the going gets tough.

#26 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Yeh, I was typing quickly with the 'or evade' comment

• That One Guy likes this

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#27 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

Gotcha.

Yeah, I'm wondering why we don't see more interceptor lists too… but then maybe we'll see more of them coming into competitive play once the Aces get out there. At least, as soon as they're eligible for tourneys.

#28 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

I think the lack of lists comes from people thinking you have to use PtL on the Ints and that leaves the Sabre at PS4, which is to low for shooting with something that needs to rapidly reduce return shots.

Swarm Tactics has been helping me with that, but I think when Aces comes out I may try;

36 points
Soontir Fel
Royal Guard TIE, Push the Limit, Hull Upgrade, Stealth Device

29 points
Turr Phennir
Royal Guard TIE, Veteran Instincts, Stealth Device

35 points
Carnor Jax
Push the Limit, Royal Guard TIE, Hull Upgrade, Stealth Device

This list does not rely on Swarm to shoot first and all three are highly difficult to hit. attacking the same target is now possible from many more positions than my 4 Int list. I like Jax ability as well, stopping the use or assignment of focus or evade tokens will be huge.

Edited by Englishpete, 17 February 2014 - 02:31 PM.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#29 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

Honestly, I think the lack of lists has to do with time limit.  Flying Interceptors well requires skill and patience.  It's more important to have yourself out of someone's arc than it is to have someone in yours.  Consequently, games run longer.  Even if you get modifed wins on all of your games, you might not make the final tables because of people pulling full wins.

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 

On Pre-order:1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 Z-95, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender, 4 E-Wing

#30 PenguinBonaparte

PenguinBonaparte

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

I think the reason we don't see many of them is that we've all got so many bad memories of having them one-shotted just when it seemed everything was all lined up. Reading this thread though makes me think I was flying them a bit too much like normal TFs, so I'm going to give some of this a go. I really like the swam tactics block too. Thanks!

• Simonsays3 and Audio Weasel like this

#31 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

• Members
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

They are unlike any other ship in the game, fly them like anything else and you will fail to see the point of them. When I put Turr/Fel on the table my opponent is getting that queazy feeling, that apprehension, even before the game starts. That is the power of the interceptor.

You have to die a lot to truly see their value, you will lose them and you will lose with them, but a pilot in an interceptor is never out on a last man standing game. Unless it's a named YT, my money is on the well flown interceptor.
  • Scurvy Lobster and Simonsays3 like this

#32 Ihavebadluck

Ihavebadluck

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

what if its a y-wing with r2d2 or something simmilar and an ion cannon turret?

Edited by Ihavebadluck, 17 February 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#33 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

what if its a y-wing with r2d2 or something simmilar and an ion cannon turret?

Then just stay at R3 and out of the primary firing arc.
Imperial: 5 TIE/ln, 1 TIE/adv, 3 TIE/in, 1 TIE/sa, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Lambda
Rebel: 3 X-wing, 1 Y-wing, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

On preorder: 1 Imperial Aces

#34 Ihavebadluck

Ihavebadluck

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

what if its an a-wing?

#35 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

Then pity our poor underprivileged cousin, move last, close to R1 and end their misery.
  • NotBatman likes this

#36 Ihavebadluck

Ihavebadluck

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

what if by some odd thing it has homing missles or some other kind of missle?

#37 Revanchist

Revanchist

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

That's why you kill it first, then it can't use its missile.

#38 redxavier

redxavier

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

I'm sure you can dream up any number of scenarios where the interceptor may find itself in trouble, that's the same for any ship in the game though.

• Revanchist likes this

Rebels: 4x X-wings, 4x Y-wings, 2x A-wings, 1x B-wing, YT1300 (just missing the HWK90)

Imperials: Firespray, Lambda Shuttle, 8x TIE Fighters, 2x TIE Bombers, 1x TIE Advanced, 1x TIE Interceptor

On preorder: 2x Rebel Transports, 2x Tantive IV, 2x Imperial Aces

#39 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

Honestly, I think the lack of lists has to do with time limit.  Flying Interceptors well requires skill and patience.  It's more important to have yourself out of someone's arc than it is to have someone in yours.  Consequently, games run longer.  Even if you get modifed wins on all of your games, you might not make the final tables because of people pulling full wins.

Well said ! However the more practice you have with Int the easier it is to maneuver fast.

#40 Moore1980

Moore1980

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

Id rather drop Fel's wraith, and Mauler for 2 sabers with V.I.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS