Limited Response

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

If a card says limited response, I take it that means you can only do one response per trigger, even if you have multiple copies of that card

We ran into a query with Dockside Brothel

Limited Response: After an opponent's character is knelt by a card effect, kneel Dockside Brothel to have a unique [Lannister] character claim 1 power.

At the time, it was the lack of limit details that confused us - i.e. it does not say "Limit once per phase" or "Limit once per round"

Does the absense of any written limit mean that the limit is just once per trigger ...

i.e. I can trigger Dockside brothel more that once per phase?

e.g. I have two copies of Dockside Brothel

I have Castellan of the Rock in play

Limited Response: After you play a House Lannister character or location from your hand, choose and kneel a character without attachments. (Limit 1 Limited Response per round.)

I marshall a copy of Queens Guard

After you trigger an effect that kneels an opponent's character, choose and kneel 1 character controlled by a different opponent

So presumabyl I kneel an opponents character by triggering Castellan - and then kneel one copy of Dockside Brothel to claim a power

I can then kneel another opponents character by "triggering" that passive on Queens Guard and then kneel the other copy of Dockside Brothel and claim another power?

I don't know if this will end up being a bad example (or highlight a different issue) as Queens Guard is a passive ... so should happen before the triggering of Dockside Brother?

thanks

#2 Venters

Venters

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

Ooo this is a really good question. 

Your reasoning seems sound, but the way I've always interpreted it as is that due to Castellan saying 1 limited response per round I've always assumed it to mean that you're limited to just 1 Limited Response in a round regardless of the source.

#3 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

Bit of a strange one ... I used Castellan as an example of a scenario where I get to kneel two different characters using two different triggers in the same phase ... in order to get clarification of a limited response such as the one for Dockside Brothel

I overlooked the limited response of Castellan - which has a limited response of once per round

in my example the first kneel was caused by Castellan and the assumption is that is the first and only time his abiltiy is triggered for the round

So I assume Castellan (and any other such limited response) is one response regardless of the number of copies of the card that you have in play

I got confused by Dockside Brother as it is also a limited response - but with no written limit

Last night we assumed that it must be limit once per phase but I now think that is wrong and I now assume it means limit of once per trigger

#4 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

The "Limit 1 Limited Response per Round" applies to any effect that is titled "Limited Response." Think of it as a Response effect with a trait, and only one response with that trait can be triggered each round. It doesn't matter what order you use the Castellan and the Brothel in because the limit is there and both responses have the "trait."

That said, the Brothel itself doesn't have the limit text, so without another Limited Response out to create the limit, it would technically act like any normal response. Once per trigger, but not limited to once per round on its own (ie, no other Limited Response card out for the player to impose the limit). Of course, this 99.999% likely to be an oversight, and we should expect errata.

#5 Daenarys

Daenarys

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

This is interesting .

Am i correct in stating then that if I had Castellan of The Rock in play and subsequently trigger his response when i play a character in the marshalling phase then I would at no point be able to trigger Alchemists Guild Hall as this is also a limited response ?

Is this correct ?

#6 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

Yes. That is correct. You get to trigger one effect labeled "Limited Response" total, among all your cards, per round.

#7 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:23 AM

That said, the Brothel itself doesn't have the limit text, so without another Limited Response out to create the limit, it would technically act like any normal response. Once per trigger, but not limited to once per round on its own (ie, no other Limited Response card out for the player to impose the limit). Of course, this 99.999% likely to be an oversight, and we should expect errata.

However, the rulebook says:

Note that some cards have a “Limited Response:” action [sic], which is not the same thing as the Limited keyword. As noted on the cards, each player cannot trigger more than one “Limited Response:” per round.

So I would argue that the limit is in the rulebook and, therefore, only reminder text on the cards (like "cannot be saved" in costs).

#8 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

Yeah, but the counter argument is that since this rules text specifically includes "as noted on the cards," it requires the note on the card. Both views hold water, and the cleanest thing to do is errata the card.

#9 HastAttack

HastAttack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:06 AM

When I made my posting I didn't realise the basic rule - One limited reponse per round

Our group had misinterpreted that - thinking it was a restriction for that particualar card (or copies thereof)

So the fact that Dockside Brothel does not have the limitation on the text was something I hadn't realised was exceptional

I re-read the rule last night (core rule book is so un-expansive!) ... it seems unambigous enough

I don''t know if the reference "as noted on the cards" is meant to mean that each card would say it's limitation or whether it was meant to mean "if you can't remember this basic rule, it's printed on each and every card"!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS