my group and I recently had a discussion about reinforcements and respecting group limits and I'm curious to hear what you guys think about this problem. We are playing The Shadow Rune Campaign (3 heroes + me as OL) with no addons but with the Conversion Kit. The following occured during the Interlude 2 ("The Overlord Revealed"):
[group limit for ogres in a game with 3 heroes is 1 master 0 minion; master ogre has "undying"]
- the heroes killed the master ogre (while no minion ogre was on the board)
- since the master ogre had the "Undying" ability I instantly replaced him with a minion ogre
- the heroes ended their turn (=the newly appeared minion ogre survived)
- quest states that the OL may reinforce 1 monster per group RESPECTING GROUP LIMITS
- I wanted to place a master ogre on the map and my group protested heavily
- Their argument was: "You already have 1 ogre on the map so you can't place another one because that would go over the group limit."
- My argument was: "Group limits are listed separately for each type of monster in that group, meaning that there are in fact two group limits for each monster group: a limit for the minion monsters and a limit for the master monsters of that group."
- That's why I think that it IS indeed possible to place a master ogre on the map while there still is a minion ogre on the map (remember group limit for ogres was 1 master 0 minion)
- What do you guys think is the correct way to play it?
In the end my group let me place the ogre since it was irrelevant to the outcome of the quest but I would like to have a clarification for our next game sessions since I'm quite frequently using ogres. Thanks!