YZ-775

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

This might be good for the surveillence ship.  Should we give this ship an energy slot and three energy?  

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#22 Chris Maes

Chris Maes

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

VB,

I'd leave "Energy" to the huge ships.  Your closest equivalents in the current game are the YT-1300, Firespray-31 and Lambda-class shuttle and none of them use energy allocation.  There are some cool ideas from the Rebel Transport and Tantive IV (CR-90) that would be appropriate, like the Coordinate(?) Action that allows a friendly ship within range-X to take an action.

Chris

#23 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

Ya know, I think energy use might be the way to go on this one. Just need to see the final rulesmon it. This ship is big enough to possibly benefit from those rules. Just a thought.

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

"Hahaha. Very funny, at least I only hit the enemy target, Ya collateral bastard."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice 181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#24 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

I was actually thinking energy and a single hard point for a Skipray Blastboat since it was supposed to be known for fighting capital ships. The possibilities have been opened up now that we are seeing the huge ship rules.

#25 Chris Maes

Chris Maes

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

Oneway, Rookie,

that way lies madness!  It will lead you down the dark path of wanting to retcon all the previously published ships as well.  If you do Energy allocation on something the size of the Millennium Falcon, then why not the falcon herself?  If you put it on the Skipray, then why not on the Firespray?  Why not on snubfighters, since they mention "angling deflectors" and "set deflectors to double front" and such?  Clearly, here was an opportunity to use (and justify) energy allocation.  Leave Energy allocation as a province of the TRULY big ships (ones with multiple bases) unless there is something in the fluff about that particular ship design that sets itself apart from similar (already published) ships.

That said, these design would be for your own use, so do whatever the hell you want, since these ships would not be allowed in official tournament play anyways.  Have fun!  

Chris

#26 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

Chris, nope, I have no desire to change the existing ships.  I like them the way they are.  The reason I thought to maybe carry over the energy rules for just the Skipray was because of comments like this one on Wookieepedia (yes, I just quoted something off of Wookieepedia, sorry):

"While small enough to be carried aboard capital ships as a starfighter, its immense power output (produced by a Sarylcorp ViX multi-flux reactor), weaponry, and shielding caused some registries to designate it as a capital ship itself."

Relegating it to Epic play only because of using the power rules is not something I would want.  It just seems that there is no way to give a ship more than oneweapon to attack with using the standard rules, and the Skipray is a platform bristling with weapons.  Any ideas on how to make this ship viable in standard play while keeping it true to its fluff?

• oneway likes this

#27 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

Chris, I was just talking about the YZ.. I wouldn't want to change the ships in game now.

"Hahaha. Very funny, at least I only hit the enemy target, Ya collateral bastard."

#28 Chris Maes

Chris Maes

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

Oneway,

I didn't think that you were, I was merely (perhaps a bit over dramatically) saying that, unless you have a really good reason to introduce Energy allocation on large, single-base ships, I would recommend against it as none of the existing ships in that size class use this game mechanic.  So far FFG's precedent has been that single-base ships (large or small) do not use Energy and huge (multi-base) ships do.  So, why do you think that Energy allocation is the best way to represent the YZ?  What about the YZ is that much different from other ships its size that you think this is a better way to represent its unique qualities/abilities?  Are you  suggesting to use Energy allocation merely as a way to make this ship different from its peers?  

As a fellow designer, these are the kind of questions I'd ask my self, then I'd apply the K.I.S.S. principle because when faced with more than one way to solve a problem, the simple way is usually the best way to go.  If you decide that it is "best"  then go for it.  IMO, I have not seen anything in VB's original design, his designer's intent, the historical (FFG) precedent or in the written fluff on the YZ to warrant such a course of action.  But... that is only MY opinion.  You are free to design ships your own way.  Who knows... you may be on to something.  Only play testing will tell. :)

Chris

• oneway likes this

#29 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

Indeed, I'm intrigued by the new rules but would wait until I had a hard copy to first see what they are like, and then decide if I would use them for something like YZs and such type ships.

I just thought that what I have seen so far those rules might makes better sense than treating the YZ like a smaller based ship. I imagine it on one like the transport or corvette..

Edited by oneway, 22 February 2014 - 10:48 PM.

#30 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

I was more moer or less thinking that only one model of YZ would get an energy ability, the one ship that has no weapons.  I'm perfectly happy with the other ships having two sensor slots.  Those are unique enough. 

I'm still waiting on one part to finish the model.  I'll post pics as soon as it is finished.

• IvlerIin likes this

Bulldog

#31 Chris Maes

Chris Maes

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

VB,

eager to see your finished product!

Chris

#32 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

A work in progress.  A modified voidrunner from Gosric.

889E81E1-E6DB-43F2-87CF-62A83BC873C1_zps

• Chris Maes and ZombieHedgehog like this

Bulldog

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS