• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

My thoughts as an archer who has fired both 'standard' and decidedly 'non-standard' ammunition from the same bow:

2) A range reduction makes perfect sense.  Larger, heavier, less aerodynamic ammunition flies slower (and therefore shorter distances with the same accuracy) than lighter, more aerodynamic ammunition.

On the second point, I kinda disagree.  There's not much granularity between range bands, and Short Range caps out at several meters.  I'd say keep the special arrows as Medium range, since as you noted the delivery system is the same.  At most, maybe apply the Inaccurate quality to reflect that these arrows aren't quite as precise as a standard arrow.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#42 9littlebees

9littlebees

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:42 AM

My thoughts as an archer who has fired both 'standard' and decidedly 'non-standard' ammunition from the same bow:1) Changing the skill from Ranged (heavy) to Ranged (light) makes no sense.  The mechanics of firing a bow don't change *at all* based on the ammo used.  I'll be ignoring the skill change in my own games.2) A range reduction makes perfect sense.  Larger, heavier, less aerodynamic ammunition flies slower (and therefore shorter distances with the same accuracy) than lighter, Morenish aerodynamic ammunition.

This is exactly what I plan to do.

Unofficial Bestiary Thread (link)   |   My NPC Cards (A4 / Letter)

#43 Veruca

Veruca

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:05 AM

Yeah, changing Heavy to Light is nonsense, because the weight is determined by the bow (the draw weight, not how heavy the bow is), not the arrows. If they wanted to show that an explosive arrow does not actually have to hit a target to cause damage, they should have explained it by going with enough Advantages (or maybe even a Triumph) on a failure (the arrow missed the target, but the blast was enough to cause some damage). At least, that's my 2 opinion on this matter.

Either way, I'm not changing to Ranged (Light) when using different arrows.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS