Photo

A question about bank loan ...and about used assets ...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cthonian

Cthonian

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

Hello there ..

I played my first Eldritch Horror yesterday and i had a blast  !! .. It's for me one of the top games i have ever played all these years i am in this hobby .. ( yeah i know i am a bit impulsive but ...)

Anyway i wanted to ask two questions .

a) About the bank loan .. I am a bit confused how that play's , in my playthrough i did n't use this . From what i read , i understand that you take a loan to have two successes for the future tests you ll encounter in actions or encounters , is this right ? for example .. i take a loan as an action( aquire asset ), i take a debt condition , i use the debt's  local action as a success to discard it and i have another success for an encounter , i am not sure if this is right and i ask ..

b) When a new investigator enter's play taking the place of a defeated one , and a starting asset-item-spell  of his  is in the inventory of another investigator , he take it or he enters play without it ..? That happened with the sailor that replaced a defeated inevstigator and his fish-net was in the reserve which i gave him outright but if this item was owned by someone else ?

Thank you

#2 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

No, you have the Bank Loan messed up.

During your turn, on the action phase, if you are on city space, you can take an Acquire Assets action. You roll Influence, and try to get a number of successes equal to the value of the item you want. So if I want a King James Bible, I need to roll to successes. What the Bank Loan does is that in exchange for the Debt condition, you automatically gain two successes to the roll. It's a really good deal.

The local action to discharge Debt, and indeed, any roll that isn't Acquiring Assets gains no benefit from the Bank Loan. Likewise, you only get the benefit one time. for that one Acquire Assets roll. If you want to get it for another Acquire Assets roll, you have to first get rid of any Debt on the character and then take on a fresh Debt condition.

If an investigator's starting equipment is already taken by another investigator, then he is out of luck. He gets nothing. If his equipment is in the reserve or discard piles, then he receives it normally. You can of course always trade.

• Cthonian likes this

#3 Cthonian

Cthonian

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

No, you have the Bank Loan messed up.

During your turn, on the action phase, if you are on city space, you can take an Acquire Assets action. You roll Influence, and try to get a number of successes equal to the value of the item you want. So if I want a King James Bible, I need to roll to successes. What the Bank Loan does is that in exchange for the Debt condition, you automatically gain two successes to the roll. It's a really good deal.

The local action to discharge Debt, and indeed, any roll that isn't Acquiring Assets gains no benefit from the Bank Loan. Likewise, you only get the benefit one time. for that one Acquire Assets roll. If you want to get it for another Acquire Assets roll, you have to first get rid of any Debt on the character and then take on a fresh Debt condition.

If an investigator's starting equipment is already taken by another investigator, then he is out of luck. He gets nothing. If his equipment is in the reserve or discard piles, then he receives it normally. You can of course always trade.

Thank you very much !!.. Now it makes sense !!! :D  Ok now i see all these wasted opportunities ... It was really difficult to aquire a good asset and with the loan it would be more easy ..

Yeah it was complete messed up in my mind this rule ..

Edited by Cthonian, 16 February 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#4 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

It makes more sense if you look at the bank loan on the board as an actual fifth asset card. When you attempt an Acquire Assets action, it is one of the five cards you can acquire.

• Mephisto666 and Cthonian like this

#5 Cthonian

Cthonian

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

i couldn't think it that way somehow <_<  .. you decide to take the loan before or after roling the dice for asset check..?

Edited by Cthonian, 20 February 2014 - 08:40 AM.

#6 ricedwlit

ricedwlit

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

You would decide after - basically its an asset (with cost 0) that gives you a +2 to your test result.

#7 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

In my last game I put the debt cards on top of the bank loan picture. It was more visually pleasing and much handier than shuffling through the condition cards for a debt card.

#8 Wolfgar

Wolfgar

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

Many people prefer to split the condition deck for ease of finding the right cards.

#9 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

Yes, after. If you look carefully at the wording, it reads you immediately add 2 successes to the result. If it had to be done before rolling, to what would you add the successes? Hence, the only logical implication is after :)

• Glaurung likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS