Redshirt Blues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jabberwoky

jabberwoky

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

Last week, our GM ran Lure of the Expanse for our group, and we finished the Zatyth adventure.  We emerged victorious after blasting a landship with our frigate, creating a trade route, and holding off the forces of the gun-runners with our Rogue Trader's newest acquisition: his Jaeger minions.

You may remember a previous thread of mine: Help Me Kit My Redshirts  Using your suggestions, they fought valiantly; I started with twenty-four, and ended up with five brave souls, the veterans of the Zayth campaign.  My Rogue Trader is planning to give medals to them for their service; maybe one of them will get to be a corporal!  However, I could see that something didn't sit right with our GM...

Maybe it was the fact that we went completely off the rails from his plan, or maybe it was us bragging about killing dozens of lesser soldiers, but I could tell he wasn't happy.  In defending the bridge from the Gun-Masters, my Rogue Trader personally held the doorway with six Jaegers; when one Jaeger would fall, another would take his place.  And even though I kept track of the Jaeger's hitpoints and stats and rolled things quickly, the combat dragged on for much longer than he wanted.

Thus, I ask you, the members of this forum: is there a more streamlined way to use minions?

Edited by jabberwoky, 15 February 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#2 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

There is indeed! I would suggest dipping into the "formation" rules found in OW: Enemies of the Imperium. These rules let you run "Squads" as singular entities and is considerably quicker than having the soldiers (read: Mooks) play as individuals.

BTW: Jabberwocky, Did you read the article I posted for you on your previous thread and did it help?

#3 jabberwoky

jabberwoky

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

There is indeed! I would suggest dipping into the "formation" rules found in OW: Enemies of the Imperium. These rules let you run "Squads" as singular entities and is considerably quicker than having the soldiers (read: Mooks) play as individuals.

BTW: Jabberwocky, Did you read the article I posted for you on your previous thread and did it help?

I did. However, our GM didn't approve of it when I showed it to him. Maybe he'll look at it differently now, but he's always been somewhat of a rules lawyer, and he only trusts his own homebrew rules.

Edited by jabberwoky, 15 February 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#4 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:37 AM

If I may, there are horde combat rules in some of the other 40K games (DW & BC) that might help.  Also, if you have Battlefleet Koronus, there are mass combat rules there.  (Though they aren't terribly good, even with the errata.  The ones in Tome of Blood are much simpler)

Cheers,

- V.

#5 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

Also, if you have Battlefleet Koronus, there are mass combat rules there.  (Though they aren't terribly good, even with the errata.  The ones in Tome of Blood are much simpler)

Wait, they actually Errataed it?  Investigate this further, I must.

• Tenebrae likes this

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#6 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

Also, if you have Battlefleet Koronus, there are mass combat rules there.  (Though they aren't terribly good, even with the errata.  The ones in Tome of Blood are much simpler)

Wait, they actually Errataed it?  Investigate this further, I must.

It's not much of a change - they fixed the "units do the same damage regardless of their size" bug - which helps a little, anyway.  It's in the latest RT errata.  If I ever run another 40K campaign, I'm not sure if I'll use it or not...

Cheers,

- V.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS