Deck - Wall of Gondor

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:24 AM

After I saw a post form iGaveHimLife in the rules section about Thalin I thought I would try and make a solo deck unsung him and his ability. This restriction and also the fact I have been trying to see if I can get a viable Tactics Deck for solo.

This one comes pretty close to being a viable solo deck but has a lot of problems that would require tactics becoming a splash rather than the focus.  Things like condition removal witch is becoming more and more important. The core idea of the deck works well and if I wasn't restricting myself to tactics and Thalin then it would be a lot more powerful... but I just get sick of using the same cards from lore and spirit.

This deck can work extremely well in solo 3 player as the Combination Hand, and a few mods can make it a strong Monster Catch hand.

Wall of Gondor
Total : 50

Heroes
Hero 1 : • Thalin ( Core Set 6 )
Hero 2 : • Éowyn ( Core Set 7 )
Hero 3 : • Beregond ( Heirs of Númenor 1 )

Allies
3 x • Bofur ( The Hobbit - Over Hill and Under Hill 8 )

3 x Imladris Stargazer ( Foundations of Stone 106 )
3 x Gondorian Spearman ( Core Set 29 )
3 x Knights of the Swan ( The Steward's Fear 4 )
2 x • Arwen Undómiel ( The Watcher in the Water 58 )
3 x Ethir Swordsman ( The Steward's Fear 6 )
3 x • Gandalf ( Core Set 73 )

Attachments

3 x Dwarrowdelf Axe ( Khazad-dûm 7 )
3 x Spear of the Citadel ( Heirs of Númenor 9 )
3 x Ancient Mathom ( A Journey to Rhosgobel 56 )
2 x Blood of Númenor ( Heirs of Númenor 13 )
3 x Unexpected Courage ( Core Set 57 )
2 x Resourceful ( The Watcher in the Water 62 )

Events

3 x Swift Strike ( Core Set 37 )
3 x Goblin-cleaver ( The Hobbit - Over Hill and Under Hill 16 )
3 x A Test of Will ( Core Set 50 )
3 x Dwarven Tomb ( Core Set 53 )
3 x The Galadhrim's Greeting ( Core Set 46 )

The basic idea is simple. Kill things before they can attack you, with the modern quests making engaged effects so much stronger you is a problem and you will have to deal with that. I am expecting a "engage effect" cancel to come ay some time soon. If it came to tactics that would be great.

• Thalin: Puts his 1 dmg on the monsters. Put 2x Dwarrowdelf Axe to add extra 2 dmd outside of combat and the defense value of the monsters. Put 1x Unexpected Courage on him so he can quest and then attack in the same turn. The questing is pretty strong if all goes to plan, but if you leave him untapped in the quest then you do not get his +1wound.
  • Beregond: Attach 2x Spear of the Citadel. This makes 3 dmg on a mob before combat is even calculated. His defense at 4 can hold off a large number of monsters the deck also uses Blood of Númenor to boost him vs almost any foe. Always use his resources after depleting Thalin's entire pool. Get 2x Unexpected Courage on him for multi-blocks
  • Éowyn: Get Resourceful on her.. pay the full cost if needed. After she gets 1 copy you should be good to discard the others... 2 is plenty.
  • Bofur + Stargazer is a mini-combo. Card draw is hard to come by in tactics Stargazer allowing you to stack 5 cards deep is a powerful form of card draw.. in a "way" your drawing 5 cards a turn. The problem is that if you get nothing you want in that stack of 5 then she stops being helpful. She isn't at full power until 5 turns latter. BUT using a deck shuffler like Bofur changes that. Quest for 2 when you need, and reshuffle the deck once you got the cards stargazer dug for you. Now she is back to full power. If you get a weapon while doing this.. that is just a bonus. This is in fact so strong, that taking out a Gandalf (she can be dig for him now) and a spearman to get 5 of each isn't bad idea. (infact I have edited the posted deck to do just this)
  • Use Mathom to get some deck smoothing happening. Time with Stargazer to get a full 3 of good cards.
  • Gondorian Spearman / Goblin-cleaver / Swift Strike : all fit in with the theme of killing with out combat.
  • Outlands is the core of the questing side of the deck and the core of Tactics Solo. A Tactic deck with a spirit splash can get some descent questing power finally with Ethir Swordsman and Knights of the Swan.

Scratchpad

There is a lot of room in this deck for change as the costs are cheap and this means there is a lot of room to play with other cards. A good target for swapping things out without hurting the deck design is Gondorian Spearman. These guy are sort of a relic form when I was trying to get Stand Together to work (Quest 1 / Block 2 +1 +1 +1 / Attack 4 + 2) = 12. The combo is fun but in 5 games I never once had the opportunity to use it.. so it got cut. Anyway, they might be good targets to remove to add groups of 3 other cards.

Straight Shot ( The Hobbit - On the Doorstep 9 )
Eagles of the Misty Mountains ( Return to Mirkwood 119 )

There are plenty of tactic resources, casting these is not a problem

West Road Traveller ( Return to Mirkwood 121 )
• Bofur ( The Redhorn Gate 6 )
Northern Tracker ( Core Set 45 )
Hasty Stroke ( Core Set 48 )
Stand and Fight ( Core Set 51 )

Get those Outlands back... they are important nad each to kill with out the +1 health guy.

• Farmer Maggot

some exta dmg to combo with the rest

Most of my scratch pad was removed just cause I was sick of all these spirit cards being a auto include in a solo deck.

About Foe Hammer

Foe Hammers effect requires an attack AND the destruction of the monster you are attacking. With all the placed dmg with spears and thalin and the axes it is very hard to get Foe Hammer to go off.

You attack with Thalin, after the attack finished if he is not dead THEN the 2 dmg is placed form the 2 axes. With the other dmg form the other effects this will kill most things.. and it is outside of the combat.. "After attached character attacks"

So unfortunately you can not use it as this deck could use some more smoothing.

If you weaken the combo and remove thalin for a lore hero.. you gain access to a ton of other options as well.. including Master of the Forge and other good stuff.

I haven't tested this but it looks solid enough..

Wall of Gondor (Broken)

Heroes
Hero 1 : • Bifur ( Khazad-dûm 2 )

Allies
2 x • Gildor Inglorion ( The Hills of Emyn Muil 79 )
2 x Master of the Forge ( Shadow and Flame 134 )
3 x Miner of the Iron Hills ( Core Set 61 )

Attachments

2 x • Elf-stone ( The Black Riders 16 )
3 x Resourceful ( The Watcher in the Water 62 )

Events

2 x Dwarven Tomb ( Core Set 53 )
3 x Daeron's Runes ( Foundations of Stone 108 )

Edited by booored, 15 February 2014 - 04:17 AM.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#2 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:19 AM

Sorry the quote got messed up, but Boodre wrote:

Thalin Puts his 1 dmg on the monsters. Put 2x Dwarrowdelf Axe to add extra 2 dmd outside of combat

Beregond Attach 2x Spear of the Citadel

Tracker1 wrote:

Interesting deck idea i love direct damage deck, but they are difficult to get to work solo,
I have a few questions/comments about the quotes above.

Spear of the Citadel is limited to 1 per tactics so you can't put 2 on Beregond, so that combo will not work.

In regards to Thalin. I am not sure I am in interpreting you correctly, but it sounds like you are using it to add damage outside of the combat phase when Thalin quests. If you are that will not work, since the axe requires the character to attack the enemy. Thalin just adds damage during the quest he is not attacking.

Looks like a good multiplayer deck, but without a main attacker, since I assume thalin quests every round, and starting threat of 28. It seems like it will be hard to clear out any engaged enemies early in a solo game.

Edited by Tracker1, 15 February 2014 - 04:36 AM.

'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#3 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:48 AM

Spear of the Citadel is limited to 1 per tactics so you can't put 2 on Beregond, so that combo will not work.

oh ****.. your right... boooo!!! Oh well. ******* hell, can not believe I missed that! This really screwed the deck.... I guess you could put in the gondorian shield... but I would need to look for a replacement for that attachment slot. Remember I have only had access to the Hon Cycle form when I came back to the boards.. so like 2 or 3 weeks..

In regards to Thalin. I am not sure I am in interpreting you correctly, but it sounds like you are using it to add damage outside of the combat phase when Thalin quests. If you are that will not work, since the axe requires the character to attack the enemy. Thalin just adds damage during the quest he is not attacking.

No, Thalin puts his ability dmg in during the QUEST phase.. not the combat phase. The axes place damage AFTER combat is complected. So in combat, you attack, place damage.. end of attack, and then place the extra damage from the axe ignoring defense. This is why Foe-Hammer can not trigger effectively in this deck, as the Axes will kill most often.. and that is not going to satisfy the foe-hammer win condition. Same goes for things like mighty prowess

Looks like a good multiplayer deck, but without a main attacker, since I assume thalin quests every round, and starting threat of 28. It seems like it will be hard to clear out any engaged enemies early in a solo game.

yeah, this is the point. Tactics is so ******* retarded for solo, I was trying to force it into a solo. As now with the Swordsmen if you splash spirit you can get some high questing power pretty fast now. The deck would work better as a multiplayer mono tactics using Theoden and Bard / Brand.. depending on what the other hands are using. Bard with his -2 def combos nicely with the 2 dmg on thalin after combat.

Edited by booored, 15 February 2014 - 04:58 AM.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#4 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:58 AM

Wall of Gondor (Fixed)

Total : 53

Heroes

Allies
3 x • Bofur ( The Hobbit - Over Hill and Under Hill 8 )

Attachments

2 x Spear of the Citadel ( Heirs of Númenor 9 )

Events

3 x Stand Together ( Core Set 38 )

Quick adjustment cause of the limitation to the spear. The deck still works fine as a DD deck. The deck is a tad over weight but the stargazer combo can handle it.. if it bugs you just remove 3x Stand Together... it is not really needed, but very fun when it goes off.

I just beat all of Khaz with this deck, Had to run a few times vs the Balrog.. had some cool moments though like Stand and Fight for 4 dmg (1 Spear + 3 Spearmen) + Swift Strike for 2 dmg + Goblin Cleaver for 2 dmg = 8 dmg on a cave troll!.. hehe.. **** the Romans... it is the Gondorians that know how to huddle under their shields and stick out the spikes!

#5 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

I've been using this deck for awhile, I love it. I usually have 3 songs of travel and go heavier on the spirit side, though. It definitely cleaves through low-HP goblins extremely well. I do recommend getting that third spear in there, it is definitely worth being able to get one on a gondorian spearman of gondor.

#6 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

i didn't even notice they can go on characters

#7 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

Wall of Gondor v3

Total : 53

Heroes

Allies
2 x • Bofur ( The Hobbit - Over Hill and Under Hill 8 )

Attachments

1 x Gondorian Shield ( The Steward's Fear 5 )
1 x Blood of Númenor ( Heirs of Númenor 13 )

Events

3 x Stand Together ( Core Set 38 )

Version with an extra spear. Targets are spearmen and the 4 block hero. The fact you can put spears on the spearmen makes them much cooler and brings Stand together into a new light.

Also tweaked the ally counts so the more important has 3, less important has 2.

Removed one Blood and put in 1 Shield. Think of these as "2" of the same card. Like if you wanted to draw either one you woudl put 2 or 3 in. Still as they server the exact same function in the deck and both go on the same target, this is more efficient. As if you draw both you can use both.

Note: Why use Knights of the Swan ( The Steward's Fear 4 )?

Some people pointed out if all goes to plan you should not be enraging anyway. This can still happen, so they are good for that, but the real reason they are in is that they can become 3 will each for questing.

Edited by booored, 18 February 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#8 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

Wall of Zillas

Heroes
Hero 2 : • Háma ( The Long Dark 76 )
Hero 3 : • Théoden ( The Morgul Vale 134 )

Allies
2 x • Bofur ( The Hobbit - Over Hill and Under Hill 8 )
3 x Descendant of Thorondor ( The Hills of Emyn Muil 75 )
3 x Eagles of the Misty Mountains ( Return to Mirkwood 119 )
2 x • Landroval ( A Journey to Rhosgobel 53 )
3 x Vassal of the Windlord ( The Dead Marshes 98 )
3 x Winged Guardian ( The Hunt for Gollum 4 )

Attachments
3 x Blade of Gondolin ( Core Set 39 )
3 x • Book of Eldacar ( Encounter at Amon Dîn 59 )

Events
3 x Feint ( Core Set 34 )
3 x Foe-hammer ( The Hobbit - Over Hill and Under Hill 15 )
2 x Stand Together ( Core Set 38 )
2 x Swift Strike ( Core Set 37 )
3 x The Eagles Are Coming! ( The Hunt for Gollum 5 )

Sorta mixed my deck "Wall of Gondor" with "Zilla Eagles". The Hamma event recursion is also strong.

Questing is pretty good with Blades and Théoden.

The real problems is Tactics age old problem of threat reduction and treachery protection. Shadow cards are not so much a problem as you can often kill threats before they attack. Just remember that Foe-Hammer can not trigger of spear, goblin cleaver or swift strike.

Still pretty fun. Use mass Engels are Coming to thin the deck like before but as there is no recursion now but do not fear.. cycle events now instead as you can redraw them with Hama anyway.

Edited by booored, 20 February 2014 - 03:55 AM.

• Glaurung likes this

#9 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:20 AM

The deck looks good, but no "Hail of Stones"? They synergize well with Knights of the Swan and Vassal of the Windlord.

#10 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:17 PM

hmm..  good call.

There could be defiantly untapped eagles.

I think the knights could even come out, They are a remnant of when the sword guys were in for questing.. and are now just there for battle questing and stuff... good targets to remove.

Edited by booored, 02 March 2014 - 11:19 PM.

#11 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

I've been playing with Gondorian Discipline, particular in desperation to do something about problems like Archery in the druadan forest, save Denethor across the table, various other uses. This is an exceptional card and should not be overlooked. Also can save some needed allies in a critical moment too. I dunno if you're still tweaking some version of this deck, but if you are, try it out.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS