Revanites and the Old Republic

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroKvothe17

ZeroKvothe17

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

Hey everyone! Been using this place as a Great source of Information and assistance for My EotE Campaigns.

In the last campaign we played rather smoothly, several players ending up down the Force Sensitive Exile(FsE) and eventually caused their own downfall from the empire.

We will be starting a new one in a couple of weeks here and My friend brought up an idea.

We have been doing some research on Revan's "Order the Revanites". The book itself Explains the uses of Being a Light sided user, and a Dark sided user; Depicting that using your opposite colour causes Strain Penalty, and that Makes perfect sense.

A Revanite however is someone who balances both sides of them and as such, it would make sense that this rule/set-up Would not work for them, I've been trying to figure out a balance that would work for a "Revanite" FsE

The other thing I want to ask is, Would the order of Revan pursue into Current Era of the Star Wars Galaxy? It is something that is from the Old Republic, and As such not "Canon" compared to the Movies or from the Books of EotE and AotR.

So far my only idea is Sticking with the Book, and base it off how they first "Learn" their power.

Help me EotE, you're My only Hope!

#2 Seiito

Seiito

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

The Old Republic is set thousands of years before anything in the Star Wars hexology. I imagine Revanism would have faded into obscurity except for a few holdouts by then. Many Force-based religions would also be exterminated by the Imperial government as part of the Emperor's efforts to eliminate both knowledge of the Jedi and the Force from the common folks' minds.

As far as "balance" is concerned in game, it just depends on whether your character chooses to use the black or white pips on the force die. You can give him obligation for using either - say 1 pt of Dark Side obligation for every time he chooses to use black or 1 pt of Light side obligation for white. At the end of the game you tally his light vs dark, cancel down if needed, and if he took too much Dark Side obligation have him fall. If he really believes in balance he'll take steps to gain enough light side obligation to return to balance.

#3 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

As far as "Would people still follow a cult like the Order of Revan 3,000 years after the Old Republic?", in my opinion the answer is whatever you want it to be. 

It's certainly possible to say it would have died out over the centuries and perhaps only a few very intense followers still exist.

On the other hand it's possible to say it was kept alive by the attentions of a continuing line of worshippers over the millennia and that it thrives in the Galaxy today (as in EOTE times) in certain places.

Whatever you want to happen for your campaign, the one can make just as much sense as the other. 

I'd still stick with the traditional EOTE way of handling the Force, though. It's just that if they 'balance' Light Side and Dark, they'd be keeping it in balance and performing acts of goodness, generosity or selflessness to balance acts of anger, passion or evil they commit.

The Dark Side still causes the same effects it causes on anyone who uses it, but if you balance it out then in theory you could walk that path down the middle.

#4 ZeroKvothe17

ZeroKvothe17

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

Awesome! Thanks Seiito, and you progessions, Both are quite helpful, and gives me an Idea on how to handle both, I just know that most of the time I don't think quite logical and more randomly, so trying to pre-plan has not been my strong suite
(Much improved since Becoming a DM)

Thanks again ^_^

#5 Seiito

Seiito

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

If you want to make the absence of the dark side the default, given that using the light side has no ill effects, then you could also just tally his dark side usage and give him appropriate obligation to the dark side until a given threshold, say 5 pts, that constitutes a fall. For every session where he uses light side only you could then remove an obligation, and when he recognizes the opportunity to use the dark side and chooses not to you could then remove one dark side obligation as a bonus. Keeping the means by which he reduces his dark side obligation hidden would also serve a mechanical game function of forcing him to figure out why you tell him he's returning to balance or not - while also representing the struggle to return from the dark. Doing the light/dark tally at the end of the session is advised in this case so that he has to figure it out thoughtfully rather than knowing what he chose to do had the immediate effect.

#6 kaosoe

kaosoe

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

You could possibly just flip a coin, roll a d20 or even a force die and let the result determine your "Force" usage for the the day. If light, you use the force points as written. If dark, you swap them. I think your friend should focus on the narrative aspect of struggling to stay balanced. Canon has shown us that the dark side is a seductive path, and one that you don't easily see your self going down until it is too late.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#7 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

Just declare before the roll which side is the "no cost" option of the moment. If you roll and decide to spend the Strain to use the other side, so be it.

• Voice and kaosoe like this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody!

#8 Voice

Voice

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

HappyDaze, that's probably the simplest and cleanest way to do it.  THey'll have to end up balancing the fact that the Dark Side is more likely to give you pips *at all*, but when the Light Side comes through for you, it's more likely to give you *more* pips.

Making the choice as to 'which side they're on' before the roll is an interesting way to deal with that trade-off without preventing them from making the strain-inducing choice available to the 'normal' Dark/Light Force users.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS