Photo

Can you commit more than one Force die to the same effect?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 ScooterinAB

ScooterinAB

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:31 PM

I've actually been meaning to shoot a question off about just this sort of thing, though time permitting I may just see if I can bounce it off Jay Little in a couple weeks while at GamerNationCon; he's the guest of honor, and I've been asked to help chair a panel with him on RPG writing.

Let us know what the response is, Donovan! :)

Certainly will, if only to show ScooterinAB that he's wrong in trying to force a general statement in place of specific rules.

Excuse me? I cannot believe that you said that. This is a discussion about rules interpretations. All I have done is present support for a differing opinion about the rules, and you have made an unbelievably inappropriate personal comment. By all means, get a ruling. But don't you dare attack me because my interpretation of this is different from yours.

I've reported your post to the mods as inappropriate. Grow up.

#22 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

Third thread I've seen where people have been at each others throats. A worrying trend... :unsure:

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#23 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

Third thread I've seen where people have been at each others throats. A worrying trend... :unsure:

You would say that.

What's written above is meant with love

#24 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

You would say that.

What do you mean?

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."

#25 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

You would say that.

What do you mean?

Just starting a feud.  :)

Edited by Col. Orange, 04 March 2014 - 10:18 AM.

What's written above is meant with love

#26 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

Just starting a feud.  :)

:o Bully, sir! Bully!

• Col. Orange and kaosoe like this

#27 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

As a slightly separate query (and I don't recall if I've asked this previously somewhere or not): if you have a Force die commited to an effect, and have another ability that allows you to roll your Force Rating along with a skill check (for example, Athletics from the basic Enhance power), does the committed die, or dice, count against those you'd be able to roll in that circumstance?

I'm inclined to say that they do, but I'd like a second opinion on this.

Nope.

Once you've committed a Force die to an Ongoing Effect, you decrease your effective Force Rating by that amount.

So if you've only got Force Rating 1, and you decide to activate the defensive Control Upgrade for Sense, then you can't use any other Force powers because you don't have any Force dice left to roll.  If you had Force Rating 2 and activated that same Ongoing Effect, you'd instead have only 1 Force die to roll for any other powers you might want to use since that other die has been committed to the Ongoing Effect.

Again drawing upon the conversation I had with Jay Little last August at GenCon, the entire Star Wars RPG system has strong elements of resource management, be that resource come in the form of Strain, Wounds, Obligation, or Force dice.  Each Force die you commit to an Ongoing Effect is a resource you no longer have available for other Force-related things.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#28 yeti1069

yeti1069

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

As a slightly separate query (and I don't recall if I've asked this previously somewhere or not): if you have a Force die commited to an effect, and have another ability that allows you to roll your Force Rating along with a skill check (for example, Athletics from the basic Enhance power), does the committed die, or dice, count against those you'd be able to roll in that circumstance?

Nope.

Once you've committed a Force die to an Ongoing Effect, you decrease your effective Force Rating by that amount.

So if you've only got Force Rating 1, and you decide to activate the defensive Control Upgrade for Sense, then you can't use any other Force powers because you don't have any Force dice left to roll.  If you had Force Rating 2 and activated that same Ongoing Effect, you'd instead have only 1 Force die to roll for any other powers you might want to use since that other die has been committed to the Ongoing Effect.

Again drawing upon the conversation I had with Jay Little last August at GenCon, the entire Star Wars RPG system has strong elements of resource management, be that resource come in the form of Strain, Wounds, Obligation, or Force dice.  Each Force die you commit to an Ongoing Effect is a resource you no longer have available for other Force-related things.

Thanks. Forgot to post again earlier today, but I found the section in the book that actually clarifies this part on p. 279.

Still wish I could get official word on whether or not one might commit more than one die to something like Sense's defensive portion, or to Enhance Brawn, or whatever. I'm in the NO camp, but my friend isn't buying the argument.

#29 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:26 AM

Nope.

Thanks. Forgot to post again earlier today, but I found the section in the book that actually clarifies this part on p. 279.

Still wish I could get official word on whether or not one might commit more than one die to something like Sense's defensive portion, or to Enhance Brawn, or whatever. I'm in the NO camp, but my friend isn't buying the argument.

You're the GM.  Tell him that until there's an FFG statement, you're making a ruling as part of your duties as the GM to say "this is how it's going to work in my game."  If he really can't accept that you're making a judgment call, then maybe he shouldn't be playing in your game.

• progressions and Shakespearian_Soldier like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS