Star Wars Episode 7

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Orjo Creld

Orjo Creld

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

We are about to find out that Star Wars is a product of GL's genius, and it is harder to make an actual Star Wars film than we imagine. I am a huge fan of the prequel trilogy. One coherent story told across 30 years. Come on, never been done for a reason.

• Shakespearian_Soldier, Inquisitor Tremayne and whafrog like this

#42 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

We are about to find out that Star Wars is a product of GL's genius, and it is harder to make an actual Star Wars film than we imagine. I am a huge fan of the prequel trilogy. One coherent story told across 30 years. Come on, never been done for a reason.

And still hasn't. At least not coherently.

• Liloki, Kshatriya and Kager like this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#43 Inquisitor Tremayne

Inquisitor Tremayne

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

Agreed 100%.

Since the purchase I thought you are losing the visionary creator/artist that gave us Star Wars in the first place, anything else is simply not going to be Star Wars but well produced fan films.  It's like Van Gogh selling the rights to his works and someone making "new Van Goghs", see how silly that is?

Edited by Inquisitor Tremayne, 18 February 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#44 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

Actually, Richard Linklater, Julie Delphy and Ethan Hawke did a way more consistent job in their 30 years working on the Before Sunrise series. 

Agreed 100%.

Since the purchase I thought you are losing the visionary creator/artist that gave us Star Wars in the first place, anything else is simply not going to be Star Wars but well produced fan films.  It's like Van Gogh selling the rights to his works and someone making "new Van Goghs", see how silly that is?

Yeah, silly and wrong. That is a really, really bad comparison. 

Star Wars was never the product of one man. It has been an enterprise from the moment it started and it shouldn’t matter that the person who set things in motion leaves.

• Kshatriya likes this

#45 Kager

Kager

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

George lucas is a great 'idea's man' but he shouldnt write dialogue or direct. During the pre-quels, He was also surrounded by 'yes men' who wouldnt challenge him when he came up with poor ideas.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=gyhO2uRA4FM
  • exseraph, Liloki and Kshatriya like this

#46 Liloki

Liloki

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

George Lucas ran into the same problem as anyone highly successful does... surrounded by sycophants and yes men who rarely offer any form of criticism let alone constructive criticism to keep the weak ideas out.

• Kshatriya and R2builder like this

Episode recaps of my ongoing EotE game: https://plus.google....771928262/posts

#47 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

It wasn't like there was a lot that could be forgotten about the prequel era from what the OT told us about it.

#48 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:33 AM

George Lucas ran into the same problem as anyone highly successful does... surrounded by sycophants and yes men who rarely offer any form of criticism let alone constructive criticism to keep the weak ideas out.

Refer to the Clone Wars special features where they talk about the Zillo Beast on the Dug homeworld. Everyone else in the studio is thinking that it would be hell to animate the thing on Coruscant - Enter George Lucas who says "Wouldn't it be great to see it on Coruscant like King Kong?" and everyone says yes.

By far the worst of all Clone Wars episodes in my opinion...

• kaosoe likes this

#49 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Refer to the Clone Wars special features where they talk about the Zillo Beast on the Dug homeworld. Everyone else in the studio is thinking that it would be hell to animate the thing on Coruscant - Enter George Lucas who says "Wouldn't it be great to see it on Coruscant like King Kong?" and everyone says yes.

This sounds more to me like George Lucas challenging his team to go beyond what they think of as their limitations. Dave Filoni says this happens a lot--the animation team considers something too difficult, time-consuming, or expensive to animate, and Lucas challenges them to do it. 

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#50 R2builder

R2builder

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

By far the worst of all Clone Wars episodes in my opinion...

WHHAAA!?!? The worst? Really? How can you forget about the poison Snapple on Mandalore?? That epidsode is by the worst ever. Peroid. The Zilo beast ones, while not the best, were at least entertaining and helped move the story along. The poison Snapple ones were actually burden to the soul. I felt like Alex in A Clockwork Orange trying to get through that one!!
And I totally agree, it was the yes men like Rick Macullum that would not stand up to George that ruined the prequels. For the originals, he would listen to so many ideas and thoughts, people were not scarred of him yet. I can't believe the Kersh would ever to agree to have a poop or fart joke in his movie! I could imagine a younger George saying to Irvin, hey, let's have that Tauntaun fart at Han, and the old man giving this look 'o death. For the prequels, nobody would dare stand up and say no!
  • Liloki likes this

Please check out our group and leave comments at: https://edge-of-the-...dianportal.com/

#51 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

I must not have seen the poison snapple ones yet... I hated the Zilo beast episodes with a burning passion, they were so un-star wars in every way.

#52 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

How can you forget about the poison Snapple on Mandalore??

The poison Snapple ones were actually burden to the soul. I felt like Alex in A Clockwork Orange trying to get through that one!!

I've seen (and enjoyed, to some degree) every episode of that series, and I can't for the life of me understand which episode(s) you're talking about. Can you reference something that actually happens in the episode, so that I can remember it and decide if I think it's as bad as you say?

#53 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:22 AM

I think I remember. It is the one on Mandalore where they are swilling poisoned tea to kids.
Yeah, those suck as well!

#54 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:56 AM

Episode 49 - Corruption, Season 3

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#55 R2builder

R2builder

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:21 AM

And here is your full recap, complete with all the trappings of pure adventure and awesomness it deserves. 

Padmé, on a diplomatic mission to Mandalore, guarantees the pacifist planet the Republic's full protection, but she and Duchess Satine soon find something sinister lurking beneath the planet's serene facade. Moogan smugglers have been sneaking in supplies, including bottled tea (Snapple) destined for the Mandalorian schools. To increase their profits, they have been diluting the tea (Snapple) with a hazardous chemical.

I am a huge Clone Wars fan. I think the overall series was great. But with some of these gems spread throughout, it really weakened the whole series a great deal. 

Edited by R2builder, 20 February 2014 - 03:22 AM.

Please check out our group and leave comments at: https://edge-of-the-...dianportal.com/

#56 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:19 AM

What, no spoiler alert R2?

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#57 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

I also have seen every episode of the Clone Wars and can't recall one that I didn't enjoy. 

I think perhaps the only sequence of episodes that I thought maybe could have been 2 stories instead of 3 or 4 was the series of stories where the tiny little General leads the squadron of droids. But even then I still enjoyed them all, especially the last one on the bizarre planet with the lost Clone.

• Inquisitor Tremayne and kaosoe like this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS