56 replies to this topic

#21 NicoDavout

NicoDavout

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:42 AM

4 Rules to make SW great again...

• galacticbob, copperbell and Maelora like this
Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.

#22 yeti1069

yeti1069

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

Given what happened last time George Lucas decided to go for the kiddies

As if it ever was meant for "adults" in the first place... Come on. I was a Star Wars nut before I turned ten.... Many years before the prequels came out.

Yeah, I was about to say - from day one the series has always been a big budget Flash Gordon written for kids who didn't have a Republic Serial of their own. It's just that when the franchise didn't grow up with them, they became annoyed. The slapstick has always been there, the stupid humor has always been there - we're just adult enough now to notice it.

I disagree. Episodes 4 and 5 had very little by way of slapstick, and 6's was nowhere near the level of obnoxiousness as we had with Jar-Jar. The Ewoks weren't stupid--they were primitive...and cute. Jar-Jar was stupid, could do nothing right, and every contribution he made was through bumbling, stupid luck.

And the original trilogy didn't have the piss-poor acting and dialogue that we got from Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman. So. Bad.

#23 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

Honorable shoutout to Star Wars for showing up in The Lego Movie!

I picked up all the Star Wars Lego movies a little while back. Cheesy fun!

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#24 hencook

hencook

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

I hate that video.

"Rule #1. Star Wars takes place in the frontier"

No, it doesn't have to be. Cloud City was populated. The Death Star was populated. Shitty rule, as a Star Wars story is perfectly capable of being good if it doesn't take place on the frontier.

"2. The future has to look old"

No, it doesn't. Granted, some areas should look old, like Tatooine because of the living conditions there, but other areas like upper Coruscant should look new, because it provides contrast.

"3. No midichlorians"

Dumb rule, no matter how you feel about the midichlorians in E1, we all know there's no real reason to reference them again, and the rule feels like a waste of space. Actually, I'd love it if Abrams put midichlorians in to spite us. Luke would be checking the roster of his Jedi Academy, and then he'd say "nahh this kid's midichlorians are too low, oh but wow look at the MC on this kid!"

"4. No cute stuff"

Seems like this guy's heavily imposing his personal preference rather than trying to speak for the fans. We might hate jar jar, but plenty of kids love him. Besides, Lucas didn't know how to do cute stuff. The IP's in the hands of Disney now, and they are the most qualified to cute it up. How else are you going to sell all this merchandise to kids?

Here's MY rule to JJ Abrams:

- Don't break the laws of the lore.

What I'm saying has nothing to do with EU consistency. I'm talking about how Abrams breaks the lore in past movies: In Star Trek, Kahn can beam over to the Klingon homeworld, from Earth without even using a ship. That breaks the lore, as pretty much nobody needs to use spaceships anymore. Kirk was revived from death using tribbles. From now on, if anyone dies and isn't obliterated, they better get tribbled.

Star Wars has the Death Star. It destroys planets, and it's huge. That's not broken. Life doesn't change. You live in fear of the Empire, but you can still blow the Death Star up. A spaceship less method of galactic travel that you can find on the black market? That's broken.

If Abrams was not on a tight leash by Lucasfilm, I bet he'd do something like this:

-Midichlorian injection. The sith try to expand their influence by injecting regular joes with the force from dead Jedi.

-Obi-wan actually becomes powerful. He starts to actually interact with the environment in a corporeal way. Why not just revive him while we're at it... I wonder if I'd be okay with Obi-wan if he started to control a droid.

-A ship full of jedi emerges after being lost in hyperspace (sounds a bit like Star Trek 2)

Now if Luke found the recipe Darth Plageius had, that'd be fun, going around resurrecting people and becoming dark for it. I was never convinced in all of Star Wars that Luke was ever under the threat of becoming Sith, and if Luke's going to be in 7, I'd imagine it's his only real weakness in character. Or, no Luke.

Edited by hencook, 16 February 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#25 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

I don't know if you would consider it the same thing, but I think the tech needs to look well used. The Empire is more recent, so its equipment and vehicles all should be a little more shinier. The rest of the galaxy, though, has been using and reusing their tech. It should have a worn look to it all. Some of these things have been around for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#26 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

Actually a planet wide city

I hate that video.

"Rule #1. Star Wars takes place in the frontier"

No, it doesn't have to be. Cloud City was populated. The Death Star was populated. Shitty rule, as a Star Wars story is perfectly capable of being good if it doesn't take place on the frontier.

"2. The future has to look old"

No, it doesn't. Granted, some areas should look old, like Tatooine because of the living conditions there, but other areas like upper Coruscant should look new, because it provides contrast.

"3. No midichlorians"

Dumb rule, no matter how you feel about the midichlorians in E1, we all know there's no real reason to reference them again, and the rule feels like a waste of space. Actually, I'd love it if Abrams put midichlorians in to spite us. Luke would be checking the roster of his Jedi Academy, and then he'd say "nahh this kid's midichlorians are too low, oh but wow look at the MC on this kid!"

"4. No cute stuff"

Seems like this guy's heavily imposing his personal preference rather than trying to speak for the fans. We might hate jar jar, but plenty of kids love him. Besides, Lucas didn't know how to do cute stuff. The IP's in the hands of Disney now, and they are the most qualified to cute it up. How else are you going to sell all this merchandise to kids?

Except Abrams doesn't hate it.

"he praised a set of "golden rules" spelt out by Star Wars fans on the internet as anticipation for the films grow.

These include setting the films on a Western style frontier of the galaxy rather than in shiny big cities like the three most recent films, giving the films a gritty and dirtier aesthetic and recreating some of the danger and mystery of the originals.

Abrams said: "I would say that (the website conveys) a feeling that we share very much ..."

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#27 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

"4. No cute stuff"

I'll always disagree with this one, too. There's always been a good dose of 'cute' in Star Wars from the get-go. Just because all of us old-school fans are in our 30s-50s now doesn't mean Abram's is obligated change Star Wars to cater to us.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: there are countless engaging, entertaining, and well-made movies out there that are just for grownups. Maybe the 'anti-cute' crowd might think about broadening their horizons and watching some of those.

Edited by I. J. Thompson, 16 February 2014 - 10:52 AM.

• Shakespearian_Soldier and DanteRotterdam like this

#28 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:09 PM

I'm given to understand Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman actually disliked each other before Star Wars and Lucas ignored their particular... dynamic...

What's actually more astonighing is that they were dating and pretty attracted to one another. Natalie ended a relationship with someone else to be with Hayden. They had dressing room visits that, I would have to imagine, had nothing to do with reading lines. :P

At least if they'd hated each other, that would have explained a few things...

- Haley

#29 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

It'd be nice to hear that maybe SOME people believed in midichlorians but there was debate over their existance, whether they actually indicated strength in the Force, etc.

This way you don't just ignore them but you bring it up in a way that lets you sweep them under the rug.

"Oh, yes... i've heard of them. The debate over that theory went on for many years without conclusion. They never stopped investigating them and even some Jedi simply accepted them as fact. I suppose the Jedi of those eras had the time and resources to put toward those sorts of things but the debate still went on for centuries, regardless. We don't have those luxuries these days. Perhaps, someday, we will."

- Haley

#30 Amanal

Amanal

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:29 AM

Take my money and entertain me.  I'll pay extra for IMAX and more if you don't make it 3D.

All too often 3D is just an excuse to poke me in the eye with a sword, arrow or light sabre. I fence foil and a smattering of sabre, I get poked or bashed in the face mask often enough the see it for real 4 times a week. It doesn't make a poor story better and we should be over the whole laziness that 3D creates as a result.

#31 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

What if, and I'm just throwing this out there, instead of starting off with 7, 8, 9, we started with 10, 11, 12.

We already know they're not doing that but, if they thought of it, I can imagine it would have been fun to contemplate. It certainly fits with Star Wars, seeing as Episode 4, 5 and 6 were produced before 1, 2 and 3

The original trilogy finished up in the early 1980's... so it has been about 30 years since the Ewoks defeated the Empire (thanks to some help by humans and a wookiee that showed up just in time to join their rebellion!). That's more time than passed between Episodes 3 and 4. It would mean the main characters in 7 - 9 around some other group of characters (the actors for the main characters are too old to play those characters in events immediately after Episode 6).

I happen to know a good group of heroes that would be great! Especially the twilek doctor! And an actress to play her!! If you can be queen of a whole planet at 15, then I... I mean SHE can be a doctor!

- Haley

#32 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

What if, and I'm just throwing this out there, instead of starting off with 7, 8, 9, we started with 10, 11, 12.

No thank you. I don't need that happen again. When he did Star Wars (A New Hope), GL had no idea it would become what it has. Plopping you down in the middle didn't matter if it didn't work out. As it is, we got a prequel trilogy that didn't live up to the awesomeness that Darth Vader was. I would rather they work on keeping things consistent going forward.

George Orwell

#33 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

My rules if I were writing them for a Star Wars flim.

1: The series is called Star Wars not Jedi Wars or Force Wars.

The Jedi and the Force should definitely be a big part of the story but the story shouldn't be solely focused on them. And for the love of all that was ever sane please keep the lightsaber duels that involve participants bouncing around like ping pong balls to a minim.

2: No nine year olds flying starfighters!

3: The Climatic battle of the trilogy should be at least a two front battle with focus on every front.

Endor was a great example. You had Lando in the Space battle, Luke, Palpy, and Vader on the Death Star, and Chewie, Han Leia, and the droids on the ground. Naboo tried to be this but the nine year old space hero, and focus on Jar Jar for the army battle hurt it badly. Coruscant should have been this but instead was basically the Anakin and ObWan show with guest stars Palpy, Dooku, and Grievious.

4: Properly develop characters besides Jedi, Sith or politicians.

The reason why the Battle of Coruscant couldn't properly show a multifront clash was because their hero and villain groups that were actually fighting were focused on one part of the battle. They didn't have any major pilot characters who weren't boarding the Invisible Hand so the space battle couldn't be focused on once the ship was boarded. And other than throwing Padme and Jar Jar into a ground battle they had no one to use in the ground fight.

5: Include some space battles that aren't one sided massacres, and don't involve suicide attacks or boarding actions to turn a one sided massacre around.

This is a major worry for me based on the Director's Star Trek flims. Every space battle shown on screen in those flims, and even those mentioned has been a one sided massacre with some of them being turned by either kamikaze runs, boarding parties, or both.

#34 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

It's the anachronistic feel I want to see, Stormtroopers on Dewbacks.  It's the aliens in a cantina and everything that's clearly going on with all these species and that feel of the fact I am only watching one of what are a great many tales unfolding in my field of view.  A lot going on in those wretched scum and villainy hives.  

I want all the little doo dads and bits and pieces on starships, not something that looked like it rolled off a car lot.  I want things to look like they've been rained on, shot at, sweat in, etc.  

I want to still be asking myself questions about things in the last scene while they've moved on to the next one.  I want to feel like I have to jog to keep up with what's going on.  

I want surly sarcastic gritty wit to shake hands with fresh faced idealistic naivete and then kick the bad guys F-ing @$$es.

I want Star Wars.

• kaosoe and jerrypocalypse like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#35 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

3: The Climatic battle of the trilogy should be at least a two front battle with focus on every front.

Endor was a great example. You had Lando in the Space battle, Luke, Palpy, and Vader on the Death Star, and Chewie, Han Leia, and the droids on the ground. Naboo tried to be this but the nine year old space hero, and focus on Jar Jar for the army battle hurt it badly. Coruscant should have been this but instead was basically the Anakin and ObWan show with guest stars Palpy, Dooku, and Grievious.

I gotta disagree on this one. We all like huge, multi-faceted battles, but story has to come first. The prequel story is about Galactic subterfuge and strife gradually working its way up to an intimate confrontation between two specific individuals... it's kind of the opposite formula of the OT. I'm not saying the prequels are better or anything, but they'd have gained nothing from cutting to, say, Captain Typho & co. battling clone troopers on Coruscant during the Obi-Wan/Anakin fight.

Also, people are just too hard on poor Jake Lloyd... he was just a little kid, fer cryin' out loud!  :D

• Kshatriya, whafrog and kaosoe like this

#36 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

What if Joss Whedon wrote Star Wars?

Well, he sure buggered-up ALIEN!  :angry:   :P

#37 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

I wonder how different the prequels would have been if they had been shot immediately after the classics? Same story, but different actors, limited CGI capabilities (which mean a greater focus on animatronics and acting), and a Lucas who was still being influenced by the inspiration and genius that gave us the originals.

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#38 hencook

hencook

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

Yeah, a climatic battle is a bad rule imo.

It's an unnecessary restraint when a movie can already be good without one. ESB and ANH both did not have these sort of battles, and I think the Battle of Yavin was still the best battle because it was very tense. It evoked a feeling of old war serials that maybe The Battle of Hoth did as well.

#39 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

The slapstick has always been there, the stupid humor has always been there - we're just adult enough now to notice it.

I don't think these elements in the OT and prequel trilogy are comparable. In the OT these were good moments but didn't take away from the action, or at the very least weren't occurring constantly. Neither of those can be said about Phantom Menace.

#40 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

I gotta disagree on this one. We all like huge, multi-faceted battles, but story has to come first. The prequel story is about Galactic subterfuge and strife gradually working its way up to an intimate confrontation between two specific individuals... it's kind of the opposite formula of the OT. I'm not saying the prequels are better or anything, but they'd have gained nothing from cutting to, say, Captain Typho & co. battling clone troopers on Coruscant during the Obi-Wan/Anakin fight.

Also, people are just too hard on poor Jake Lloyd... he was just a little kid, fer cryin' out loud!  :D

I disagree but everyone is welcome to their opinion. IMO Coruscant was the decisive battle of one of the largest wars in galactic history. Not the final battle but the one which most people will consider the climax of the war. Like how people consider Lee's surrender the climax of the US Civil War even though some southern armies and at least one ship kept fighting afterwards. I feel that deserves far more attention than ROTS gave the battle.

And I don't blame Jake Loyd. He did a good job of acting like a kid in Anakin's place. The problem was that the idea of making Anakin a kid was so absurdly bad that Loyd couldn't salvage it though he gave it a valiant effort.

• Kager likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS