Star Wars Episode 7

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Seiito

Seiito

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

In 2015 Star Wars Episode 7 will be unleashed upon a new generation. Given what happened last time George Lucas decided to go for the kiddies, what do you think Disney's attempt will entail if they do the same course?

#2 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

I trust Disney to do a movie more in line with the franchise than GL. They, at least, can make movies that appeal to both adults and childre.
  • Doc, the Weasel, Liloki, Kshatriya and 5 others like this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#3 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Maybe they will finally explain why the first Death Star destruction was an inside job;

• Raistlinrox, JeppeLaursen, kaosoe and 2 others like this

#4 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

I trust Disney to do a good job, and JJ Abrams, too; then again, I am a fan of both...

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#5 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Given what happened last time George Lucas decided to go for the kiddies

As if it ever was meant for "adults" in the first place... Come on. I was a Star Wars nut before I turned ten.... Many years before the prequels came out.
  • progressions, Keeop, Desslok and 2 others like this

#6 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

I think JJ Abrams gets both what is right and wrong with Star Wars.  

I have no doubt about the visuals he will produce.  The fact they are shooting on film and using sets and models is heartening from a technical perspective.  

Actors tend to do better with actual locations and sets than green screens.  He's already said Star Wars is a western, on the frontier, that sounds good. 

We don't know the story.  That's pretty hard to overstate.  Love the prequels/hate the prequels is irrelevant, the bottom line is the plot for the prequels was known for a long time, no real surprises at all which takes the fun out of it.  You knew where and how the trilogy ended before Phantom Menace was done with the first screen crawl.

I think you put that all together and the new movies will be good.  What remains to be seen is will they be great?  I will be happy with good.  I'll be 10 years old again with great....

Edited by 2P51, 14 February 2014 - 10:09 PM.

• Kshatriya and Shakespearian_Soldier like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#7 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

Given what happened last time George Lucas decided to go for the kiddies

As if it ever was meant for "adults" in the first place... Come on. I was a Star Wars nut before I turned ten.... Many years before the prequels came out.

Yeah, I was about to say - from day one the series has always been a big budget Flash Gordon written for kids who didn't have a Republic Serial of their own. It's just that when the franchise didn't grow up with them, they became annoyed. The slapstick has always been there, the stupid humor has always been there - we're just adult enough now to notice it.

• I. J. Thompson, kaosoe, DanteRotterdam and 1 other like this

#8 hencook

hencook

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:22 AM

As long as JJ Abrams has someone else look over his script and veto any plotholes he writes in, I am all for it... but all of his movies have pretty gaping plot holes. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and say I like Episode 1 better than anything JJ Abrams will or has produced.

#9 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:56 AM

Doubt I'll watch it.  Don't like Abrams, so I'm expecting it to be garbage. Typical EU fanfiction, with overpowered anime Jedi everywhere.

And that way, if it isn't, and gets a good buzz, I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Even it's good, it won't have the slightest impact on my games. Quite happy with using the original movies as a baseline, thanks.

It might possibly have the benefit of tidying up the clutter of the EU, but there's no guarantee it won't replace it with something worse.

(However, I felt sure SW was about to get a Trek-style reboot, and I'm at least grateful that isn't happening...)

Edited by Maelora, 15 February 2014 - 05:57 AM.

• HappyDaze likes this

#10 NicoDavout

NicoDavout

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

Han Solo shots first, Thrawn Trilogy is the Episode 7, 8 and 9 and Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG's sourcebook.

Signed, stubborn Rebel. <_<

• Slaunyeh, Kshatriya, Shakespearian_Soldier and 3 others like this
Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.

#11 HiroKedyn

HiroKedyn

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

I think JJ Abrams gets both what is right and wrong with Star Wars.  

I have no doubt about the visuals he will produce.  The fact they are shooting on film and using sets and models is heartening from a technical perspective.  

Actors tend to do better with actual locations and sets than green screens.  He's already said Star Wars is a western, on the frontier, that sounds good. 

We don't know the story.  That's pretty hard to overstate.  Love the prequels/hate the prequels is irrelevant, the bottom line is the plot for the prequels was known for a long time, no real surprises at all which takes the fun out of it.  You knew where and how the trilogy ended before Phantom Menace was done with the first screen crawl.

I think you put that all together and the new movies will be good.  What remains to be seen is will they be great?  I will be happy with good.  I'll be 10 years old again with great....

I feel the same way. I was a little bit worried when they announced that they were making a sequel, but when they said JJ was doing I knew it was going to be fine. He's a huge star wars fan so he doesn't want to screw this movie up, plus he gave an interview where he talked about what made the original trilogy great and how the prequels ignored that stuff. As for Bangkok's fear of JJ's script, he's not writing it. The guy who wrote toy story 3 is writing it with the help of one of the writers from the original trilogy.

#12 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

Michael Arndt was removed from writing duties and replaced with Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan.  I'm a little concerned with Abrams writing but I'm thinking the story idea is his and Kasdan is there to make the structure work.

#13 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

No lense flares please.

Agreed.

#14 Liloki

Liloki

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

But lens flare is the automatic recipe for awesome!

At least that's what they seem to teach at every 3D animation and media graphics curriculum from the amount of lens flare one sees in graduate demo reels.

Episode recaps of my ongoing EotE game: https://plus.google....771928262/posts

#15 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

Anyone else think that Maelora will watch it if JJ Abrams makes it about Monobrow Boy? :)

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#16 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

I just hope for a good story. I'll admit that I'm biased in that visuals, camera angle, etc. won't affect me at all. But when you try to tell the stories of Episodes 4 - 6, it all seems fantastic. 1 - 3 just seem to have people going off all over the place for no real reason other than to have lots of places to show on the screen. I've even heard someone attached to the prequels describe how awesome they would be because there was so much happening on screen in every shot. The aim was as bad as Greedo's must have been to miss Han!!

Here's something interesting you might not realize. Without watching them, you can listen to almost all of the original Star Trek episodes and follow the entire story and even have a good idea of what people are doing on screen. A scene here or there might not workThere are loooong periods of "I have no clue" in episodes 4 - 6 but, for the most part, you can figure it out and it's great! Episodes 1 - 3 are impossible to follow without someone telling you what's happening.

I can't say that visual storytelling is bad. Anyone who enjoys The Pink Panther or Road Runner cartoons knows that I'd be wrong if I tried... but I think the story in Star Wars movies should have a little more substance to them.

• HappyDaze, Sturn and Liloki like this

- Haley

#17 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

I just hope for a good story. I'll admit that I'm biased in that visuals, camera angle, etc. won't affect me at all. But when you try to tell the stories of Episodes 4 - 6, it all seems fantastic. 1 - 3 just seem to have people going off all over the place for no real reason other than to have lots of places to show on the screen. I've even heard someone attached to the prequels describe how awesome they would be because there was so much happening on screen in every shot. The aim was as bad as Greedo's must have been to miss Han!!

Here's something interesting you might not realize. Without watching them, you can listen to almost all of the original Star Trek episodes and follow the entire story and even have a good idea of what people are doing on screen. A scene here or there might not workThere are loooong periods of "I have no clue" in episodes 4 - 6 but, for the most part, you can figure it out and it's great! Episodes 1 - 3 are impossible to follow without someone telling you what's happening.

I can't say that visual storytelling is bad. Anyone who enjoys The Pink Panther or Road Runner cartoons knows that I'd be wrong if I tried... but I think the story in Star Wars movies should have a little more substance to them.

I agree on story.  I don't think there needs to be any concern for technical visuals, Hollywood has that down pretty well and JJ's decision to use film, sets, and models much more often will only enhance that I think.  I also think he is perfectly capable of actually getting actors to act as opposed to read lines badly like the did in the prequels.  So it really boils down to a good story premise and good pacing in the film.  We shall see.

#18 Liloki

Liloki

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

I trust JJ Abrams and his team to craft a decent story and get the pacing right. Compared to the prequel trilogy, even an average effort from him would look great by comparison. Since he has a love of the original trilogy it's likely we'll get a well above average effort from him.

Episode recaps of my ongoing EotE game: https://plus.google....771928262/posts

#19 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

I actually don't have much of a problem with the prequels, story-wise. In broad strokes, they're exactly what they were supposed to be. The problem was in Lucas' direction (or non-direction), and the fact that no one at LFL was going to stand up and tell him when he was making a misstep. 

As concerns the Sequel Trilogy, a lot of people are painting Disney as the bad guys. But I'm kind of relieved that they're overseeing this - it means that the director (Abrams in this case) is going to have to work to make the movie good, or Disney won't stand for it. The problem with the prequels was that Lucas only had himself to answer to... but that won't be a problem here. People are scared of the 'Disneyfication' of Star Wars, but that's paranoia; Disney have no ambition to make SW a 'Disney' film... they just want to own it, and reap the rewards of a good product.

• Sturn, Shakespearian_Soldier, copperbell and 2 others like this

#20 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

I can't wait for the new trilogy and I'm sure it will be well done, but really the in between movies they are discussing intrigue me even more.

• polyheadronman likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS