Star Wars Episode 7

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Seiito

Seiito

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

In 2015 Star Wars Episode 7 will be unleashed upon a new generation. Given what happened last time George Lucas decided to go for the kiddies, what do you think Disney's attempt will entail if they do the same course?

#2 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

I trust Disney to do a movie more in line with the franchise than GL. They, at least, can make movies that appeal to both adults and childre.
  • Doc, the Weasel, Liloki, Kshatriya and 5 others like this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#3 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Maybe they will finally explain why the first Death Star destruction was an inside job;

• Raistlinrox, JeppeLaursen, kaosoe and 2 others like this

#4 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

I trust Disney to do a good job, and JJ Abrams, too; then again, I am a fan of both...

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#5 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Given what happened last time George Lucas decided to go for the kiddies

As if it ever was meant for "adults" in the first place... Come on. I was a Star Wars nut before I turned ten.... Many years before the prequels came out.
  • progressions, Keeop, Desslok and 2 others like this

#6 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

I think JJ Abrams gets both what is right and wrong with Star Wars.  

I have no doubt about the visuals he will produce.  The fact they are shooting on film and using sets and models is heartening from a technical perspective.  

Actors tend to do better with actual locations and sets than green screens.  He's already said Star Wars is a western, on the frontier, that sounds good. 

We don't know the story.  That's pretty hard to overstate.  Love the prequels/hate the prequels is irrelevant, the bottom line is the plot for the prequels was known for a long time, no real surprises at all which takes the fun out of it.  You knew where and how the trilogy ended before Phantom Menace was done with the first screen crawl.

I think you put that all together and the new movies will be good.  What remains to be seen is will they be great?  I will be happy with good.  I'll be 10 years old again with great....

Edited by 2P51, 14 February 2014 - 10:09 PM.

• Kshatriya and Shakespearian_Soldier like this

#7 Seiito

Seiito

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

It will be interesting to see new Star Wars material again, especially given the canon council that's trying to make the Expanded Universe into something that can be solidly claimed by those who contributed to the franchise. I'm given to understand that Disney is aiming for a 25-year timeskip or so, to account for the age of their actors (although they made Yoda into CG so they could always dub over younger versions of the original cast). How they hand off the torch to the new important people in the galaxy should say much about the direction we get to see. Will we be engaged with destiny bound children like Anakin and Luke, or will we simply get to see "merely" important people contributing to the visions of the destiny bound?

#8 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

As if it ever was meant for "adults" in the first place... Come on. I was a Star Wars nut before I turned ten.... Many years before the prequels came out.

Yeah, I was about to say - from day one the series has always been a big budget Flash Gordon written for kids who didn't have a Republic Serial of their own. It's just that when the franchise didn't grow up with them, they became annoyed. The slapstick has always been there, the stupid humor has always been there - we're just adult enough now to notice it.

• I. J. Thompson, kaosoe, DanteRotterdam and 1 other like this

#9 Seiito

Seiito

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

Yeah, I was about to say - from day one the series has always been a big budget Flash Gordon written for kids who didn't have a Republic Serial of their own. It's just that when the franchise didn't grow up with them, they became annoyed. The slapstick has always been there, the stupid humor has always been there - we're just adult enough now to notice it.

Good point.

Anyone notice the use of camera angles is better in 4-6 while it's mostly medium shots in 1-3?

#10 hencook

hencook

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:22 AM

As long as JJ Abrams has someone else look over his script and veto any plotholes he writes in, I am all for it... but all of his movies have pretty gaping plot holes. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and say I like Episode 1 better than anything JJ Abrams will or has produced.

#11 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:56 AM

Doubt I'll watch it.  Don't like Abrams, so I'm expecting it to be garbage. Typical EU fanfiction, with overpowered anime Jedi everywhere.

And that way, if it isn't, and gets a good buzz, I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Even it's good, it won't have the slightest impact on my games. Quite happy with using the original movies as a baseline, thanks.

It might possibly have the benefit of tidying up the clutter of the EU, but there's no guarantee it won't replace it with something worse.

(However, I felt sure SW was about to get a Trek-style reboot, and I'm at least grateful that isn't happening...)

Edited by Maelora, 15 February 2014 - 05:57 AM.

• HappyDaze likes this

#12 Seiito

Seiito

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:16 AM

Doubt I'll watch it.  Don't like Abrams, so I'm expecting it to be garbage. Typical EU fanfiction, with overpowered anime Jedi everywhere.

And that way, if it isn't, and gets a good buzz, I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Even it's good, it won't have the slightest impact on my games. Quite happy with using the original movies as a baseline, thanks.

It might possibly have the benefit of tidying up the clutter of the EU, but there's no guarantee it won't replace it with something worse.

(However, I felt sure SW was about to get a Trek-style reboot, and I'm at least grateful that isn't happening...)

It should be noted that Anime borrows heavily from western influences. 20 years ago Anime wasn't even a word (older Japanese actually call anime "manga"). I do not see why one would consider the cross pollination of culture to be a bad thing, as your seemingly pejorative use of the word anime implies.

Without Japan we would not even have Star Wars. It was samurai culture and jidaigeki expression of such in television that inspired Lucas.

As far as "overpowered anime jedi" are concerned, you'll find the same ***-for-tat increasing power levels in American comics - I mean really, Superman - and Star Wars as a universe can be the product of whatever themes are allowed to enter its canon, which is why there is a lot of hard work going on to determine that canon right now. The EU isn't wrong for existing, and the original trilogy offers very little context for why the universe is the way it is, placing that in the background to the character drama following the Atreides Skywalker clan.

Edited by Seiito, 15 February 2014 - 06:34 AM.

• segara82 likes this

#13 NicoDavout

NicoDavout

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

Han Solo shots first, Thrawn Trilogy is the Episode 7, 8 and 9 and Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG's sourcebook.

Signed, stubborn Rebel. <_<

• Slaunyeh, Kshatriya, Shakespearian_Soldier and 3 others like this
Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.

#14 HiroKedyn

HiroKedyn

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

I think JJ Abrams gets both what is right and wrong with Star Wars.  

I have no doubt about the visuals he will produce.  The fact they are shooting on film and using sets and models is heartening from a technical perspective.  

Actors tend to do better with actual locations and sets than green screens.  He's already said Star Wars is a western, on the frontier, that sounds good. 

We don't know the story.  That's pretty hard to overstate.  Love the prequels/hate the prequels is irrelevant, the bottom line is the plot for the prequels was known for a long time, no real surprises at all which takes the fun out of it.  You knew where and how the trilogy ended before Phantom Menace was done with the first screen crawl.

I think you put that all together and the new movies will be good.  What remains to be seen is will they be great?  I will be happy with good.  I'll be 10 years old again with great....

I feel the same way. I was a little bit worried when they announced that they were making a sequel, but when they said JJ was doing I knew it was going to be fine. He's a huge star wars fan so he doesn't want to screw this movie up, plus he gave an interview where he talked about what made the original trilogy great and how the prequels ignored that stuff. As for Bangkok's fear of JJ's script, he's not writing it. The guy who wrote toy story 3 is writing it with the help of one of the writers from the original trilogy.

#15 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

Michael Arndt was removed from writing duties and replaced with Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan.  I'm a little concerned with Abrams writing but I'm thinking the story idea is his and Kasdan is there to make the structure work.

#16 Seiito

Seiito

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

No lense flares please.

#17 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

No lense flares please.

Agreed.

#18 Liloki

Liloki

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

But lens flare is the automatic recipe for awesome!

At least that's what they seem to teach at every 3D animation and media graphics curriculum from the amount of lens flare one sees in graduate demo reels.

Episode recaps of my ongoing EotE game: https://plus.google....771928262/posts

#19 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

Anyone else think that Maelora will watch it if JJ Abrams makes it about Monobrow Boy? :)

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#20 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

I just hope for a good story. I'll admit that I'm biased in that visuals, camera angle, etc. won't affect me at all. But when you try to tell the stories of Episodes 4 - 6, it all seems fantastic. 1 - 3 just seem to have people going off all over the place for no real reason other than to have lots of places to show on the screen. I've even heard someone attached to the prequels describe how awesome they would be because there was so much happening on screen in every shot. The aim was as bad as Greedo's must have been to miss Han!!

Here's something interesting you might not realize. Without watching them, you can listen to almost all of the original Star Trek episodes and follow the entire story and even have a good idea of what people are doing on screen. A scene here or there might not workThere are loooong periods of "I have no clue" in episodes 4 - 6 but, for the most part, you can figure it out and it's great! Episodes 1 - 3 are impossible to follow without someone telling you what's happening.

I can't say that visual storytelling is bad. Anyone who enjoys The Pink Panther or Road Runner cartoons knows that I'd be wrong if I tried... but I think the story in Star Wars movies should have a little more substance to them.

• HappyDaze, Sturn and Liloki like this

- Haley

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS