Imperial equivilant for rebel transport

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#161 oneway

oneway

• Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

I'd like to see the Action IV.. saw a picture and some details.. it would fit right in with the new ships. at 1/270 should be about the size of the one you're building right now.. 

• Viceroy Bolda likes this

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

Door Gunner

#162 Vagrant

Vagrant

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

Arguments are pointless. They usually lead nowhere, and are just a petty ego battle. We need solutions, gentlemen. 

Here's my proposal. 

Make the Star Destroyer the playing mat, as said before. Market it as a special scenario expansion where you can play specific missions. -Not- as a ship that has a field cost. 

Comes in pieces, in a box similar to the core set in size. You assemble it and put several turrets and special parts that can be destroy-able. Just like in the Battlefront games. 

You go swoop in and destroy the crucial parts, but the ship itself can't be destroyed. Only crippled.

FFG already has sold a similar set, in theory, in the form of the battle mats.  

Imperials in these special missions would get plenty of bonuses, such as reinforcements. 

For the rebels, the conditions for winning would be various. Like taking out a specific system on the ship, or attempting to raid it by landing a transport on it. Who knows. Maybe fleeing could be a rebel objective. 

This sounds insanely fun and fitting for epic play. 

The best part is, that we can make it ourselves. 

PS: I wouldn't be surprised if FFG had something like this already fleshed out and willing to release it the day they unveil their epic play formats. 

Edited by Vagrant, 23 February 2014 - 01:33 PM.

• oneway likes this

#163 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Random mission objectives that the Rebel player chooses would be fun. The imperial never knowing exactly what systems the Rebs are gunning for, for their morale victory.

A string of scenarios where the damage carries over and effects the game board.

All very doable.

They better jump on something like this before someone decides to do it on their own and sell it on the gamer blackmarket heh.

#164 Stone37

Stone37

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

They will never release a Star Destroyer.

The CR-90 is under-scaled as it is, as a compromise. An ISD would be ludicrous.

Besides, what would a capital ship be doing in a starfighter game? The CR-90 is pushing it. An ISD might as well come from another game.

Remember, with these new big ships we're also getting two new play types.  (Cinematic and Epic)  Betting against the release of a Star Destroyer is the equivalent of hitting on a 21 in blackjack.

These big ships will not be a part of the tournament play that waves 1 - 3 have supported.  The game is changing to bring in new ways of playing.   I look forward to hearing more details about these two new game types.

And on a side note... I'm willing to bet my house that a Death Star game format will be released in some shape or form down the road.  It's the ultimate stage for the snub fighters we've all been pushing around the table.

Edited by Stone37, 23 February 2014 - 04:00 PM.

#165 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

..I better get to spray painting a beach ball so I can hang it from the ceiling above the board.

• Stone37 likes this

#166 NotBatman

NotBatman

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Sorry, I don't have an envelope handy. You're just going to have to deal with a post-it-note sketch. :)

StarDestroyer.jpg

StarDestroyerFullBoard.jpg

So THIS is how you do a Star Destroyer. You make it in segments, as a background, with an amount of space around it. If you assume each square is 3'x3', then you build a modular surface/playmat that demonstrates that. It's scaled down, more so depending on what variety of SD you're talking about, but as for SIZE, it seems perfectly playable. Even knocking each square down to 2x2 seems like it would feel acceptable as the table.

For bonus points, make the base shape and elevated levels/tower separate so you can do the top (as shown) or leave them off and add a hanger bay (and whatever else) and call the main board the underside of the Star Destroyer. (Because variety and 3D!)

For epic, you use two or more sections. (Admittedly, any SINGLE 3x3 segment shown here feels lacking, so it wouldn't be intended for the standard tournament-style play.) For more variety, you have empty space around the SD itself. Any 6x6 configuration seems perfectly thematic and if it was built on hardboard/MDF it shoudl be workable on a table, with overhang.

It's not something for every-day play, this would be for a special event/occasion. Something special. But it's TOTALLY do-able.

You can make this as a printed sheet, or you can make this segmented in (rough) three-dimensions, like this guy did: http://community.fan...ther-stuff-wip/

THIS is how I'm going to bring a Star Destroyer to MY table...

• RookiePilot likes this

#167 Janson

Janson

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

You people who are still going on about an ISD in a thread that should be about space freighters is making my autism flare up. 

Action Transport.  That is the ship you are looking for. 

I'm not against the idea of the Action Transport, but I honestly think if they do one they will do a "Wild Karde" expansion so that would be an Action VI since its so much more iconic from the EU perspective. If they do that it would be another Rebel Large ship (or mercenary/smuggler new faction).

• oneway likes this

#168 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

You people who are still going on about an ISD in a thread that should be about space freighters is making my autism flare up. 

Action Transport.  That is the ship you are looking for. 

I'm not against the idea of the Action Transport, but I honestly think if they do one they will do a "Wild Karde" expansion so that would be an Action VI since its so much more iconic from the EU perspective. If they do that it would be another Rebel Large ship (or mercenary/smuggler new faction).

You may be right.  The action series was like a reliable truck used by both sides.  The original question inquired to the imp equivalent to the GR75.  They utilized the action transports for that role.  I plan to use my Action for both sides.  Gotta think up a cool ability for the Wild Karrde title card.

• oneway likes this

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#169 oneway

oneway

• Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

The action IV and the VI are very similar except for the VI being 25 meters longer... I personally would like to try and build a IV and use it as an objecrive in scenarios.. something like, protect the cargo ship resupplying a rebel base, or imperial instalation.. something along those lines. This is why I was liking the idea of using the energy rules for this scale of ships..
  • Viceroy Bolda likes this

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

Door Gunner

#170 Jahzir

Jahzir

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

What I do not want is to see them making up small imperial ships just for the sake of it. I don't want this game to take the path of all those star wars RTS games where they were just making up units to make the rebels and imperials symmetrical. Personally I would rather see more Bounty hunter ships or something instead of some sort of imperial "corvette".

#171 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

The action IV and the VI are very similar except for the VI being 25 meters longer... I personally would like to try and build a IV and use it as an objecrive in scenarios.. something like, protect the cargo ship resupplying a rebel base, or imperial instalation.. something along those lines. This is why I was liking the idea of using the energy rules for this scale of ships..

I also have a scenario in mind.  There is a planet with no strong political opinion which has just experienced a terrible natural disaster, so the Empire has dispatched emergency supplies and a diplomat officer to try to persuade the resource rich planet to join the imperial cause.  The Rebels have heard about this initiative but are unable to gather the resources to aid the planet.  They do, however, have Luke Skywalker to be their political influence.  The Rebels must try to destroy the CR90 with Jerjerrod, the Action IV, or both. 

Total Imperial victory, both CR90 and Action IV make it to the Rebel side of the board, Luke is killed or captured.

Imperial major victory, both CR90 and Action IV make it to the Rebel side of the board.

Imperial Minor victory, one ship makes it  "

Total Rebel victory, Action transport captured, imperial fleet vanquished. 

Rebel major victory, both Imperial capital ships are destroyed

Rebel minor victory, one imperial capital ship is destroyed. 

Will make rules that say that the Action IV can be captured if all other imperial ships are destroyed and it has X number of ion tokens.  Likewise, luke can be captured if he is the last Rebel ship in play and is hit with ion. 

Edited by Viceroy Bolda, 23 February 2014 - 09:54 PM.

• oneway likes this

Bulldog

#172 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

I don't know why they don't include both rebel and imperial cards for a couple of these ships. The YT-1300, Firespray and HWK are all ships used by fringe elements that would have worked for both sides, the Tantive IV was the official counsular vessel of an IMPERIAL senator, one who was secretly a rebel but still, official imperial transport that almost certainly was used by other senators and officials who were still loyal, so why not the option to have it used by both sides? And coincidentally increasing the number of players that might want to buy it.

• oneway likes this

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#173 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

In casual play, who's to say you couldn't?

Bulldog

#174 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

Nothing at all, but there is potential for interesting rules directions if they would be willing to open the occasional ship up to both sides.

When I first started playing, I did ask (on another forum) about the idea of cross faction squads for scenarios and such and got pretty well shouted down over the idea, but fortunately I don't care. It would just be nice for some official recognition that an outer-rim smuggler can work for the empire, the rebellion might hire a bounty hunter to "extract" a key imperial scientist, or a grand moff might be traveling on a CR90.

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#175 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

What I do not want is to see them making up small imperial ships just for the sake of it. I don't want this game to take the path of all those star wars RTS games where they were just making up units to make the rebels and imperials symmetrical. Personally I would rather see more Bounty hunter ships or something instead of some sort of imperial "corvette".

There are plenty of enough ships in established Canon for a good while. Counting the odd ship repaint that goes to market, perhaps part of bigger bundles, they have plenty of time. For the long run I think we'll get a 3rd faction. Indepedents, Sum & Villainy, Hutts etc, all rolled into one. They could even release another Firespray with Jodo Kast colours and new cards.

Whether they make Old Republic eras their own "game", but with the same ruleset, which would give them room to introduce force powers for Jedi pilots and unshackle them from the current formula they have for ships, we'll see.

Edited by Arthur Volts, 23 February 2014 - 11:36 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS