Imperial equivilant for rebel transport

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#61 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:17 AM

FFG has been known to change their mind in the past...

Let's see how the two huge ships already in the works play out...  If Epic play really takes off, I can't see them restricting themselves to the very limited set of ships that are Tantive IV sized or smaller.

I just hope that if they do decide to go bigger, they do it by making the playing field bigger and keeping the ships close to the same scale to where the huge ships are now.

#62 RealShinigami

RealShinigami

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:01 AM

I hope aswel,

I wanna fly a Rebel Nebulon-B frigate damnit!

Oooh I do hope they make a title card for the Redemption! One of my fav cards from the old SW CCG, such pretties!  :D

#63 LeoHowler

LeoHowler

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

In the Ison Corridor, shortly after fleeing Yavin IV...

Luke Skywalker: "Red Leader here. Sensors don't show any signs of the second convoy... looks like they ran into trouble."

Female Captain: "This is the Frigate Redemption: we'll have to get through this debris before we can make the jump back into hyperspace."

Wedge Antilles: "Luke, enemy fighters approaching from all directions! We're surrounded!"

Luke: "I copy Wedge. We've got to blast our way through!"

20 TIE's come in from the top and sides of the board, surrounding the five transports and the poorly armed medical frigate. Only six X-Wing pilots stand in the way between safety and Imperial destruction.

Redemption: "The transports are drawing heavy fire!"

Russian Transport Captain, in a panic: "They're all over us!"

Yeah, this'd be pretty badass. Two waves of TIE's and a final wave of Interceptors would make a great recreation of this battle.

Edited by LeoHowler, 16 February 2014 - 12:31 PM.

• Texx and Araquay like this

~Remember Alderaan~

Alliance Fleet: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, , 3 Z-95's, 2 E-Wings, 1 GR-75

Imperial Navy: 5 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Bomber, 2 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Advance x1, 1 Lambda Class Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31, 1 TIE Defender

Black Sun Private Fleet: Coming soon~

#64 KILODEN

KILODEN

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

i would love to see the big boys released in this games as well, but i just dont think this is going to happen.

like i said in an earlier post, if they didnt make the blockade runner as small as they did, it was not going to be made.

we can dream all we want, but the only way i see an ISD in this game is fan made, and thats alot of styrofoam insulation, that crap isnt cheap, like $35 per sheet at 2" thick.

if they did release one who would afford to buy it?

it would have to be over $1000 at least, all painted up and ready to play.

i say we focus on reality and hope they bring in smaller EU ships, i know they are not iconic, but thats all we will get for imperial im afraid.

personally i would like to see a Skipray to balance, as it is a freighter sized ship with capital class weapons, so they should pack a puch in any transport, and blockade captain who sees one coming his way.

Hey sarcasm is my thing, sorry if I offend anyone. (Reported) Hey I said I was Sorry (Reported) Really? (Reported) Come on I was apologizing. (Reported) Man you just can't make some people happy can you? (Reported)

#65 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Rebel Transport and Tantive IV. Why would the might of the Empire be pitting single pilot fighters against enormous transports and capital ships? That's just retarded.

So include things for the Empire that are on the same scale as the CR-90 and Transport.

Unless you think a ISD vs CR-90 is any less silly. I mean we all saw how that turned out at least once.

Because once again... It's not just the Size of the ISD, it's the massive amount of Fire power the thing has that is an issue. Sure you could make it 1/3000 scale to fit it on a board, and have it look stupid next to a nearly same size CR-90... Which should fit in it's launch bay.

But even then you have to reduce the fire power of it by nearly the same margin in order to make it fit in the game and be balanced. At that point why have it? Do you people really want a wedged shape ship so bad you're willing to have it turned into a glorified corvette?!?!?

I mean I suppose the other option would have it cost 750 points so you could put enough CR-90's and other ships on the floor to be a serious threat.

Edited by VanorDM, 17 February 2014 - 03:43 PM.

• zathras23 likes this

#66 Gosric

Gosric

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

All you would have to do is use the 'Bridge kamikaze 'special ability to take out the capital ships. Why bother *L*

The Sea of Stars will be my home, Under the black flag of freedom

http://lorelei-shipy...blr.com/archive

https://www.shapeway...ric?sort=newest

#67 Tycho120

Tycho120

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Sentinel-class landing craft. It's big and powerful. And it's seen in Episode IV.
  • Boomer_J, phxcmd and LeoHowler like this
Rebel Alliance: 5 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wings, 2 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, E-Wing, 2 Z-95, YT-1300, HWK-290, GR-75, CR90

Galactic Empire: 8 TIE Fighters, TIE Advanced, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, TIE Defender, TIE Phantom, Lambda Shuttle, Firespray 31

#68 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:27 AM

The only way I can see FFG doing a Star Destroyer, is as scenery.

I can see them releasing a "SSD Bridge", which sits stationary on the board, and can be used in scenarios (Can you plow your A-Wing through it?)

#69 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Sentinel-class landing craft.

At 38m long it's not really on par with a CR-90. But there a number of other ships that would fit that can be used. We don't need to neuter a ISD to put in Imperial cap ships that would be a good match to the CR-90. 

The only way I can see FFG doing a Star Destroyer, is as scenery.

Was thinking about it at the gym last night and realized that there's really only 3 options for putting in a ISD. This has nothing to do with size but rather with the capabilities of a ISD. Asking to put a ISD in to this game and have it be a fair match is a bit like asking a 12 year old to play Michael Jordan 1 on 1 in his prime... So you have 3 options.

1) It's scenery that does nothing but take up a huge amount of space.
2) Reduce it's firepower, shields, ect... by about 90%, effectively making it a glorified ISD looking Corvette.
3) Set it's point value at around 1,000.

Those are your only 3 options really. You can't make up a rule that lets a ISD and CR-90 be comparable ships without nerfing the ISD in some way. Just watch the opening of ANH and you'll see why.
  • oneway and Araquay like this

#70 Asgo

Asgo

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

I think one of the problems in the scale is that between the CR90 and the classic ISDs is a huge gap.

There aren't that many ship classes in the category of "slightly larger" than CR90 and still recognizable from movies and stuff.

Almost anything that can field own fighter complements is out of scale fire-power-wise, even if you ignore any and all shipbound turrets.

I for one would like a Nebulon B Frigate, but even that one won't fit.

if you go to a capital game level/scale, all options are open again, unless you introduce Death Stars and Executor class ships. ;)

But there you will have difficulties to reuse existing ship models, except as squadron stand-ins.

#71 Darthfish

Darthfish

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

I think the only way to do it well is a new game for capital ships at a smaller scale. Like star ship battles but no grid and better rules. This means you will not be able to use xwing minis in this new stand alone game, and I am OK with that. I still think you will want snub fighters as well, either as individual ships squadrons. I think size wise those models were about right. Although the scale was relative, big ships were still big and you could put a lot of Capitol ships on the table. There is a fan based rule set that uses the mechanics from war at sea to make a pretty good game. It's a lot of fun, but since it is a dead game, there is not much point in trying to cultivate new players. So my three 6 inch long ISDs sit alongside the executor, wishing for something to blast.
  • oneway and aadh like this

All that is required for evil to prevail, is that good men do nothing. - Thomas Jefferson

#72 Darth Lu

Darth Lu

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

For me the best option is The Hound's Tooth
http://starwars.wiki...i/Hound's_Tooth
Is more little than Rebel Transport 62 mts vs 90 mts

#73 Gosric

Gosric

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

The SSD Bridge idea isnt a bad one. They could make it like one of the hot wheels things from way back so it can open and is a storage case for the minis

• oneway and Araquay like this

#74 DashAkrost

DashAkrost

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:06 AM

prolly the something of this proportion would be needed on the rebels side. at that point though id think they make each of the star fights represent multiple ships to balance out the power and size

http://starwars.wiki...0a_Star_Cruiser

Edited by DashAkrost, 20 February 2014 - 05:10 AM.

#75 Gosric

Gosric

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

This whole thing would just end up an entirely different game. Starhip battles on a larger scale

#76 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

If people unshackle themselves from being to scale 100%, we may actually see a reasonable model for the larger ships. Suspension of disbelief.

Am I also to believe that the entire battle takes place in the amount of space that would fit, to scale, in a 3x3 play area?

#77 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

Volts, there is suspension of belief, andnthere is... an ISD is so much larger than the ship that fits inside its cargo bay... and with lotsnof extra room... sorry, an ISD is just too large a ship to add in. In my (and many others) view.

How about the Warlord class AT-AT landing craft.. it is very near the length of the corvette. It looks very similar to the sentinel, I posted a video clip of it further back in this thread, wondering ehat it was. It has plenty of armament to give any rebels a run for their money..

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice

181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#78 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Make the ISD twice the size of Tantive and I think most people can get over it.

The game is only partially in scale and it's a diservice to everyone to deny us amazing models.

I personally don't NEED one, but it woud be fine. I would rather see a Dreadnaught, Lancer, Victory Class Star Destroyer or Interdictor.

Titans in 40k look acceptable on the table top compared to other vehicles, I think our imagination can rationalize the size differences.

The models simply represent the location of said unit on the space field, not necessarily the actual placement and size of said unit. Wargames have been that for decades.

The space the model occupies isn't a literal translation of scale.

We give a little here. Give a little there and we all have a good time.

#79 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Other's have different levels of suspension of belief.

#80 Arthur Volts

Arthur Volts

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

Other's have different levels of suspension of belief.

I'd ask them to be more internally creative.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS