• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#41 DarkmanSW

DarkmanSW

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:02 AM

They will release ISD in highly reduced scale

No they most likely won't. At the amount of reduction it would need, it's no longer really a ISD, and so would serve no purpose in the game itself.There is simply no way to make something with the size and firepower of a ISD fit in a game like X-Wing.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.. I heard the same about people saying the falcon will be the biggest ship in x-wing. Well i understand don't want that the game is changing. But many people want capital ships , and ffg will give it to them for hundred of dollars. Revell did that in the early 90' and the size for the transports there is almost the same and the star destroyers there looked still amazing huge but fine for miniatures gaming. Even Lego has star destroyers and the executor. I doesn't matter how lagre the model is. . What cares is the base size. All capital ships will be released, because enough people will buy them. And many for the upgrade cards too.

If you watch the interview on youtube and read the designers reaction in his face , you know they will come. The ISD is the most iconic imperial ship, and it's seen in many upgrade cards. ( for people often see an hint when spying ships in new upgrade cards)

#42 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:21 AM

what about the Nune-class Imperial shuttle? or the landing craft version of the shuttle? 

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#43 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:21 AM

don't have a clue why the text is so big? lol 

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#44 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:45 AM

They will never release a Star Destroyer.

The CR-90 is under-scaled as it is, as a compromise. An ISD would be ludicrous.

Besides, what would a capital ship be doing in a starfighter game? The CR-90 is pushing it. An ISD might as well come from another game.

Edited by Norsehound, 15 February 2014 - 04:46 AM.

• aadh likes this

#45 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:49 AM

An ISD would be ludicrous.

They might go for a Victory class SD instead of Imperial...

X-wing is played over a series of game rounds. Turn is a type of maneuver.

#46 Quendil

Quendil

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:49 AM

In the thrawn-trilogy, both rebels (new republic) and empire are fighting to get controll over the same ships, so it is not unrealistical to imagine a battle with a transport on the imperial side.

Cum gladio evaginato!!

#47 oneway

oneway

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:58 AM

I can see an Imperial transport, maybe even a Imperial Blockade runner, but an ISD is a little far fetched.. as mentioned the scale to make it look good is on the range of 18 feet.. to scale it to fit on a board of 3'x3' ... it would look ridiculous

Would I love to see their version of an ISD, sure, I'm sure it would look awesome, just put a small Tantive IV in with it for size reference so we remember that it's friggin huge.. ships like that should be reserved for an Attack Wing style game, where they can push out all the capitol ships from both factions.

• Digitalkiller likes this

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice

181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#48 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:18 AM

I can see an Imperial transport, maybe even a Imperial Blockade runner, but an ISD is a little far fetched.. as mentioned the scale to make it look good is on the range of 18 feet.. to scale it to fit on a board of 3'x3' ... it would look ridiculous

Would I love to see their version of an ISD, sure, I'm sure it would look awesome, just put a small Tantive IV in with it for size reference so we remember that it's friggin huge.. ships like that should be reserved for an Attack Wing style game, where they can push out all the capitol ships from both factions.

An ISD is more than a little far fetched. To get it onto the 3x3' it would have to be around 18" or less and this would mean downscaling it to around 1/3000th. It would just look wrong with the starfighters. Even a Victory would be too big. They just wouldn't fit in and I think it would make a farce of the game. They have gone to great lengths to maintain a scale for the starfighters, why screw it up by making a model that much out of scale with the rest.

If they haven't already, FFG should probably start working on a capital ship game, because there's obviously a demand for it, and with Attack Wing AND X-Wing they've got a good game mechanic to start with.

• oneway, aadh and Darthfish like this

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

#49 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

Considering the size of the Corellian Corvette, I'm thinking there is a bit of a change in the playing area of Epic games. They've said multiple times, that they are not sticking to one set scale for the Capital ships. And really, until we have see how Epic games play, I think it is a bit harsh to call adding a scaled down Star Destroyer will make the Epic/Cinematic game a farce is really reaching.

As I've said, I have plenty of fond memories of taking a single fighter against a Star Destroyer in video games, so I don't see it being too much of an issue. In the end, bitching about it makes no sense, because I'm sure FFG would find a reasonable and fun way to implement it anyway.

#50 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

"We're gonna need a bigger mat".

Just to support some of the ships that are in the size category above the Tantive IV.  I still see small protions of ISD's as the setting for entire fighter battles.  The Death Stars as well.  Bring on the ship terrain mats with some 3D features such as turrets, sensor arrays, power generators, bridges and tractor beams.  If you really want to take on an ISD with a squad of X-Wings, it can be done.  But no "mini", sorry.

• Araquay and Parravon like this

#51 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

FractalSponge did a few designs that might be what we'd see:

Vigil-class Star Corvette

this

and this

Sir, rebel transports sighted \                              / Affirmative.                                                           

(-o-)  (-o-)    (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)    (-o-)  (-o-) 

Excellent! Gamma wing, prepare for torpedo run. We'll provide cover.

|-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   

#52 DarthBadger

DarthBadger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

The Carrack...

350m/270 = about 4 feet long

On a 3' x 3' table?!

Edited by DarthBadger, 15 February 2014 - 12:31 PM.

• oneway and Parravon like this

#53 SpectreSix

SpectreSix

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

Why not throw in Uglies while we're at it? :P

• Viceroy Bolda likes this

Spectre Leader, standing by.

#54 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

You do know that they aren't sticking to the 1/270 scale for the capital ships, right?

#55 oneway

oneway

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

The Carrack...

350m/270 = about 4 feet long

On a 3' x 3' table?!

I like this for a 1/450 scale... closer to 18 inches I think.. or smaller, gonna be pricey as hell though, might not be feasible

I just cant see an ISD, even a Victory class. Just too big, also when you see it on the table with a Tantive IV .. you know one fits inside the other.. how is that right.. just gonna look goofy..

I do think it would meet their current standard and look awesome, but I feel it just wouldnt be playable..
  • Parravon likes this

#56 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

3/3 table is too small. Epic should be played on something at least 3 times that size. We need at minimum a 100 minis on the table. Moderation so be no where in this game. Concentrate on going over the top! :)

Edited by Takeda, 15 February 2014 - 03:27 PM.

• Borderguy190 likes this

#57 Gosric

Gosric

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

They should have a design competition to come up with a good imperial ship that fits the scale. Although admittedly the Corellian Corvette was usd by both sides so why?

• oneway likes this

The Sea of Stars will be my home, Under the black flag of freedom

http://lorelei-shipy...blr.com/archive

https://www.shapeway...ric?sort=newest

#58 oneway

oneway

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

Haha.. why indeed.. just come out with a Imperial corvette later.. imperial pilots and new upgrades.. easy peasy

#59 KILODEN

KILODEN

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

yes, but also in the same story, they tell you that they had to underscale the tantive for this game and if it was any larger it would not be made. so right there tells you they are not going bigger,end of story

• Parravon likes this

Hey sarcasm is my thing, sorry if I offend anyone. (Reported) Hey I said I was Sorry (Reported) Really? (Reported) Come on I was apologizing. (Reported) Man you just can't make some people happy can you? (Reported)

#60 That One Guy

That One Guy

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

I just wanna fire dem guns, mang.

That's a even bigger problem then the size of the ISD. Turbo laser batteries aren't effective against fighters. So you have a ship that's massively out of scale that can hardly hit a X-Wing, yet the X-Wing can't do any damage to it either.

So what reason is there to have one?

Rebel Transport and Tantive IV. Why would the might of the Empire be pitting single pilot fighters against enormous transports and capital ships? That's just retarded.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS