Imperial equivilant for rebel transport

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

Anyone care to speculate on a comparable equivilant of the rebel transport for the empire? Can the Empire expect to see some entirely different?

#2 Iffo

Iffo

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

I'd be interested to hear some ideas on this as well. Generally all the large Empire ships that are iconic enough (even the lesser destroyers) are way too big to fit this game. Is there a recognisable Empire ship the size of the Tantive or the medium transport?

(-o-)   (-o-)   (-o-)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (-co-)   (-co-)   (-co-)  

:>8@8<:   :>8@8<:   :>8@8<:   o=<@>=o   o=<@>=o   o=<@>=o   -</o\>-   -</o\>-   @-|=---o   @-|=---o 

#3 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

The Lancer-class Frigate is 250m long
The Carrack-class Cruiser is 350m long
The Star Galleon-class Frigate is 300m long

So any them could work. Could even reduce the scale a bit, so if you have a 12in long CR-90, you could make those be 16-18 inches long, which would keep them somewhat to scale but still small enough to be usable.

#4 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

I would be more than ok if FFG came up with something of their own for the Imperial transport.
  • JasonVoorhees and aadh like this

#5 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

I would be more than ok if FFG came up with something of their own for the Imperial transport.

That might work, but it also might be that they don't have the ability to make new designs, and have to use stuff that's already showed up elsewhere.

#6 Danthrax

Danthrax

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

I think they'd have to go with a IPV-1 Patrol Craft, which is 150m (the same as the Blockade Runner). Unless they went really wonky with the scaling.

#7 Jehan Menasis

Jehan Menasis

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

I had a vision...

In my vision FFG released chunks of a star destroyer... First the bow... next the stern, and so on... after several expansions, we could assemble a complete star destroyer.

On a more serious note, the star destroyer is too iconic to not make an appearance in this game. I don't know how, when or what relative scale it will be, but I'm positive that we'll see one in the future.

• Parravon and Darthfish like this

#8 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

I had a vision... In my vision FFG released chunks of a star destroyer... First the bow... next the stern, and so on... after several expansions, we could assemble a complete star destroyer. On a more serious note, the star destroyer is too iconic to not make an appearance in this game. I don't know how, when or what relative scale it will be, but I'm positive that we'll see one in the future.

I have a 6/20 foot table at the house I doubt a star destroyer would fit to scale on it but I would be willing to knock down a wall if need be. I estimate that if they made it to scale it would be shipped broken down and would retail at about 5k. " I would be fine with this"

#9 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

I see no reason in friendly games why the Empire can't have a transport on it's side. They were, after all, generic ships initially.

• oneway likes this

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#10 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

I had a vision... In my vision FFG released chunks of a star destroyer... First the bow... next the stern, and so on... after several expansions, we could assemble a complete star destroyer. On a more serious note, the star destroyer is too iconic to not make an appearance in this game. I don't know how, when or what relative scale it will be, but I'm positive that we'll see one in the future.

I have a 6/20 foot table at the house I doubt a star destroyer would fit to scale on it but I would be willing to knock down a wall if need be. I estimate that if they made it to scale it would be shipped broken down and would retail at about 5k. " I would be fine with this"

Keep in mind that an Imperial II Class Star Destroyer at 1/270 scale would be just under 6 meters long. :)

• Duke of Advil and J43G3RM31ST3R like this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighters, 6 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray-31s, 5 Lambdas

5 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 6 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 4 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300s, 2 GR-75 Medium Transports, 1 CR-90 Corvette

#11 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

but I'm positive that we'll see one in the future.

The only way they can include a ISD in this game is as a backdrop.

It's WAY to large to fit, even to scale of the CR-90 it's like 12ft long. Reduce it in scale enough to get it to 2-3 feet long, and there's no longer really a point in having it. It would be so far away to be that retaliative size to actually have an impact in the game. Not to mention the what 200-300 dollar price tag.

Then if you look at the level of firepower a ISD has, and you have the same problem. It's just too massive to work in this game.

Edited by VanorDM, 14 February 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#12 xanderf

xanderf

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

FractalSponge did a few designs that might be what we'd see:

Vigil-class Star Corvette

At an "official" 255 meters, it's pushing the limit for something that would fit on the table...although that "official" measurement isn't really.  IMHO, it'd look decent at the Corvette size.  And this has appeared in licensed material, in a calendar shot.

GAT-12 Skipray Blastboat

This would not be a true equiv to the Rebel large ships, but as an Imperial "capital ship killer", it could be seen as the Imperial answer to these.  In-game, it would be a 'medium' ship, about the size of the Falcon.  And this has also appeared in a TON of different media.

Imperial Customs Corvette

My PERSONAL favorite of his designs...or, I suppose, "reimaginings"...would be the Imperial Customs Corvette.  It has appeared in a few pen-and-paper RPGs and comics, but otherwise it's little known.  It does, however, LOOK nicely Imperial - particularly the way FractalSponge updated it.  And at 180m, it's just a *smidge* larger than the Blockade Runner (150m).

Edited by xanderf, 14 February 2014 - 12:54 PM.

• Viceroy Bolda, JasonVoorhees, Takeda and 3 others like this

#13 DarkmanSW

DarkmanSW

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

They will release ISD in highly reduced scale
  • Filthy Pierre and Darthfish like this

#14 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

I'm a fan of the Storm Commando Transport, from Rogue Squadron 3. Also, the Gozanti Cruiser, which is showing up in a lot of the Rebels promotional pics would be good.

• Revanchist, phxcmd and LeoHowler like this

#15 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

They will release ISD in highly reduced scale

No they most likely won't. At the amount of reduction it would need, it's no longer really a ISD, and so would serve no purpose in the game itself.

There is simply no way to make something with the size and firepower of a ISD fit in a game like X-Wing.

Edited by VanorDM, 14 February 2014 - 02:18 PM.

• oneway and J43G3RM31ST3R like this

#16 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

Meh, there is still a LOT we don't know about Epic play and how a capital ship that shoots works. There have been enough fun experiences in video games of fighters taking on a Star Destroyer, that it isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

Besides, I challenge anyone to resist the beauty of a FFG made Star Destroyer model, scale or no.

• Darthfish likes this

#17 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Meh, there is still a LOT we don't know about Epic play and how a capital ship that shoots works.

Even Epic rules as long as we're still using 1 model = 1 ship there is no way to make it work. the ISD is simply too massive in terms of size, and firepower to ever make it work.

If, and only if you started using 1 model = 1 squad could it work.

Remember the CR-90 was pulled into the docking bay of a ISD.

Besides, I challenge anyone to resist the beauty of a FFG made Star Destroyer model, scale or no.

As a display piece maybe, as a game piece, easy.

Edited by VanorDM, 14 February 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#18 Moore1980

Moore1980

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

If they do release the Star Destroyer, then they will be forced to release the Mon Cal Cruiser for the Rebels. Then this game is no longer a fighter based game. It's Star Trek Attack wing. It's best for them "FFG" to just make a stand alone version of X-wing using Star Wars universe capital ships like attack wing.

• oneway, Digitalkiller, Parravon and 2 others like this

#19 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

FractalSponge did a few designs that might be what we'd see: Vigil-class Star Corvette

At an "official" 255 meters, it's pushing the limit for something that would fit on the table...although that "official" measurement isn't really.  IMHO, it'd look decent at the Corvette size.  And this has appeared in licensed material, in a calendar shot.

GAT-12 Skipray Blastboat

This would not be a true equiv to the Rebel large ships, but as an Imperial "capital ship killer", it could be seen as the Imperial answer to these.  In-game, it would be a 'medium' ship, about the size of the Falcon.  And this has also appeared in a TON of different media.

Imperial Customs Corvette

My PERSONAL favorite of his designs...or, I suppose, "reimaginings"...would be the Imperial Customs Corvette.  It has appeared in a few pen-and-paper RPGs and comics, but otherwise it's little known.  It does, however, LOOK nicely Imperial - particularly the way FractalSponge updated it.  And at 180m, it's just a *smidge* larger than the Blockade Runner (150m).

Now we are talking, those would make awesome minis!

#20 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

If they do release the Star Destroyer, then they will be forced to release the Mon Cal Cruiser for the Rebels. Then this game is no longer a fighter based game. It's Star Trek Attack wing. It's best for them "FFG" to just make a stand alone version of X-wing using Star Wars universe capital ships like attack wing.

We need FFG to release everything including Luke's severed hand,as an upgrade :)
  • GroggyGolem and Moore1980 like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS