Another question about unreliable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 princeearwig

princeearwig

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:20 AM

Which is sort of related to Durak's question. We are playing in the same game group and my character has a spear "unreliable 2" also. So I have a vested interest in this :D

My question is this.
WFRP3 has some very specific wording in certain areas that applies very specific criteria to an action.

Unreliable is written in such a way that it is not implicit that actions using an unreliable weapon get an additional effect line that triggers on X chaos stars.

it states that 

If the weapon is a blackpowder weapon, it backfires or explodes if at least as many Chaos Star symbols are rolled equal to the item’s Unreliable rating.

it is the same for non-black powder but I've edited for brevity.

Do people read this as meaning those Chaos Stars are consumed in the act of triggering the unreliable quality 

ie. The action used essentially has an extra line added reading (assuming unreliable 2)

<Chaos Star><Chaos Star> The weapon explodes dealing 2 damage to the wielder.

or is it an additional effect that occurs "on top" of what would otherwise be triggered by the Chaos Stars.

I seem to recall a few instances where symbols trigger multiple effects.

If it is a triggering effect that uses the symbols up in the act of triggering.. well I'd be able to avoid ever triggering it by just choosing a different Chaos star effect for on or both of the starts and voila my supposedly unreliable weapon doesn't break/blow up.

Edited by princeearwig, 14 February 2014 - 07:23 AM.

#2 princeearwig

princeearwig

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

I think I may have just answered my own question by re-reading the rules.

As it is the GM that usually determines negative effects it is unlikely that they will choose to avoid the unreliable effect by choosing other chaos star results.

So I think I am now firmly in the "they are consumed by use" camp.

opinions still gratefully received.

#3 princeearwig

princeearwig

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:19 AM

and now I've changed my mind again thanks to a reply on Durak's thread.

The Unreliable effect has the words "This is in addition to any other effects" at the bottom of the first paragraph.

It is an additional effect that occurs "on top" of what would otherwise be triggered by the Chaos Stars

#4 arscott

arscott

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:28 AM

I'd say they're used up.  The passage you quote doesn't sound like it's deliberately invoking a trigger-without-spending effect.  I think the wording's just unintentionally ambiguous, which mean's I'll follow the normal rules in this case (wherein the stars are spent)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS