What if everyone gets KOed?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DrNate

DrNate

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

I'm reading the adventure, and it seems fine, but two things trouble me. 

In the events that the Gamorreans win the battle in the bar (seems unlikely) they just kick you around a little instead of taking you back to the Hutt? Okay, then why send Stormtroopers after us too, in chapter 5? They had us all helpless in the bar! 

Second, what kind of out would you use if the whole party is KOed by one of the other combats? Have them awake in the Hutt's dungeons and just toss out the rest of the adventure? Consider it a Game Over? Something else?

Thanks!

#2 Liberiton

Liberiton

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:25 AM

First of all which adventure are you freakin talking about lad. Hard to follow you if you don't elaborate on that.

Secondly just roll with it, in other games it would be a TPK and they`d all have to make new characters. In EotE you just take you licks, get a critical on you and move on. Alittle healing and you`re back in the fight. So yea, if you were beaten up by some Hutt's gamorean thugs you might end up in a hutt dungeon, or if the stormtroopers get you, you could end up in an imperial jail cell. However it's just as likely that the Hutt will just want a "fair" cut of whatever they are doing, or the Imperial jail may be just the setup they need for a jail break. Maybe a rebel operative also in jail with them and helps them escape and now they all owe obligation to the rebels. Get creative and have fun with it.

• kaosoe likes this

"The Orcs let out a victory 'Woot'!"

#3 DrNate

DrNate

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

Sorry I didn't specify. I am talking about the adventure included in the EotE Beginner Game Boxed Set (thus, the forum) 

In the event of a TPKO, I will attempt to roll with it (creatively) and see where it takes us. 

Game is tonight, I will try to take notes and report back. 

• kaosoe likes this

#4 polyheadronman

polyheadronman

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:01 AM

Just keep in mind that within the grey sidebars on each encounter page are suggestions for what could happen should the party fail the encounter.  This continues into the "LAotH"  downloadable adventure as well.

I hope everything went well!

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

#5 DrNate

DrNate

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

So far so good, we only covered three "chapters" so far, but combat went long. These are not players with a lot of tactical sense. They are very solid and even entertaining in the non combat encounters. 

I don't give the party good odds against the Transdoshan or the Stormtroopers...

#6 polyheadronman

polyheadronman

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:36 AM

You may have to coax your players along at first in this system.  I game with a variety of players of all experience levels, but because we are all new to this particular system and the freedom it offers, we are all basically babes in the woods.

If you find your players are lacking the creativity to say anything more than "I shoot at him/her/it," offer them some suggestions on how they can do more.  This is very important when interpreting the dice results.  Work with the table as a group to make that pool result turn into something cool.  Imagine a failure with five advantage result.  The PC could fire at the target and miss, but the blaster bolt explodes a nearby duracrete wall, blinding it momentarily.  This gives the PC a chance to not only buy a free maneuver to dive into cover, but the eye-irritants offer a boost die to the next PC who attacks.

I have found that when the table as a group started to get involved in each players results, they started to feed off each other, and that would inspire them to make use of the world around them and all it has to offer.

I would also have to point stuff out in big neon letters when describing an area or situation.  I use maps (but not grids or measurements), so I would physically point out features of  a given area and offer suggestions for their use in a tactical situation.  

I have also been known to highlight certain skills and their uses, sometimes stating that "in a situation like this, Knowledge Underworld, Streetwise, or Knowledge Outer Rim could be made use of to determine what the deal is..."  

There are a lot of skills to make use of in many different ways, but some players need to be poked a little.  The social skills and intellect stuff suffers the most neglect, as my group is coming off a very combat heavy tactical system to play this, and old habits die hard.

It's very tutorial and did result in some stale encounters here and there, but it paid off.  After a couple of months, my group is far more creative and involved in and out of combat.  They just needed some context and a push here and there to break out of the "I shoot, do I hit?" mentality.

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

#7 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

If you're running this as a Beginner's Game, to teach a group how to play the game, in my opinion it's a good idea to give them a lot of leeway.

For example, if they all get knocked out by the Gammorreans in the cantina, you could have a couple of members of the group wake up as they're being dragged through the streets by the Gammorreans. The guards could get distracted by something, maybe they stop to grab a chicken leg off a food vendor stall, and your guys have an opportunity to make a break for it and run away.

Likewise if they get knocked out by the Stormtroopers. I'd try to be pretty creative with how you can keep the adventure on track without making it TOO easy on the party. That is, if they ended up in an Imperial prison cell you'd have to basically come up with a whole new adventure on the spot. But if the Stormtroopers drag the party members back to the Imperial shuttle in the other hangar bay, and they think the party is knocked out cold so two of the Stormtroopers go back to their duty while one of the troopers is taking a call from his commander, while another of them is trying to clumsily load all of the party's weapons into a crate, you might give them a chance to wake up and grab their guns and blast their way out.

If you feel comfortable coming up with an "escape from the Hutt's dungeon" adventure on the fly, then go for it! Otherwise, there's lots of ways you can keep the game on track if the PCs get KO'd.

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS