Photo

Why is the Tie Advanced considered sub-par?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Syleh Forge

Syleh Forge

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

Part of the problem is also that the tournaments are Timed…which means it's Not about surviving as long as you can (per se), it's more about killing as many opposing ships in the time allotted.  I've found them to be excellent ships in my campaigns, scenarios, and 200point games because in those - it's more about staying alive, and less about straight up firepower.

I fully expect to see some sort of title or modification for the Advanced sometime, but even with that - i doubt many tourney players will use it because it's all about 'points efficiency'…what can you get the most of…for the least amount…you know, cheap, like Americans ;)  

But also it does come down to the CrookedWookiee's point that evade die have 3 evade, 2 focus and 3 blanks, so it's statically worse (if it weren't evade would be cherished i think)  than the 1 crit, 3 hit, 2 focus, 2 evade…which is a 6/8 chance to hit (w/focus) verse a 5/8 chance to dodge it.

8 X-wings, 7 A-wings, 4 Y-wings, 2 YT-1300, 4 B-wings,  2HWK-290, 3 E-wings, 3 Z-95's, 1 Transport, 1 CR-90

14 Tie Fighters, 13 Interceptors, 3 Advanced, 4 Firesprays, 4 Bombers, 3 Defenders, 3 Phantoms, 1 Lambda

#22 Jfitz1431

Jfitz1431

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

I've had success running two Advanced in a 200 point matches. They actually contributed a lot to the battle, and were able to stay alive and harass the weakened ships in the mid to end game. Like Syleh says, I think they have more of a place in scenarios and larger battles instead of 100 point timed battles where the one who does the most amount of damage early on usually wins. Same goes for the A-Wing I think. 

• Syleh Forge likes this

#23 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

That said, the problem with the Advanced is hard to define.  Vader is an amazing pilot.  Steele fills an interesting niche, but is undercut a little bit by the lacking firepower of the Adv.  He would have been a beast in an Interceptor.  The game also favors attack over defense, in general; compare the number of hits on a red die to the number of evades on a green.  

Attack: 1 Crit, 2 Hit, 3 Focus, 2 Blank

Defense: 3 Evade, 2 Focus, 3 Blank

This is wrong. The attack die has the following:

1 Crit, 3 Hit, 2 Focus, 2 Blank

It's not trading a focus for a blank, it's changing the crit result to a blank on the evade die.

The evade die is objectively weaker than the attack die.

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighters, 6 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray-31s, 5 Lambdas

5 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 6 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 4 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300s, 2 GR-75 Medium Transports, 1 CR-90 Corvette

#24 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

... , and a better dial. 

it isn't. Its worse. The 1 straight is too important in dogfight.

Not worse, different. Both have uses, a 5 straight is better for picking when and where the fight happens, as well as for slipping past ships to get a danger free target lock or to prey on a higher priority target.

#25 redxavier

redxavier

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

The empire doesn't necessarily need shields let alone " missiles" , they are point sinks.

I would disagree, missiles are a far better investment for the Imperials, mainly because you have 3 rebel ships with just 1 agility and another with just 2, which practically guarantees a hit. Compared to an X-wing firing proton torpedoes at a TIE, where those 4 points are a complete gamble.

• Rhinoviru3 likes this

Rebels: 4x X-wings, 4x Y-wings, 2x A-wings, 1x B-wing, YT1300 (just missing the HWK90)

Imperials: Firespray, Lambda Shuttle, 8x TIE Fighters, 2x TIE Bombers, 1x TIE Advanced, 1x TIE Interceptor

On preorder: 2x Rebel Transports, 2x Tantive IV, 2x Imperial Aces

#26 Rauhughes

Rauhughes

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I think you're all failing to account for my epic flying ability however ;)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS