Deck I threw together after chatting to Fippin about a silly combo with Gordian Fire and Dunhere, a combo conspicuously absent as it fell off during my play through of a bunch of quests. The deck still needs some tweaking but seams to have the basic functionality working fine.
So far it has beaten most of mirkwood, Khaz and all of Darowdelf with little effort...I haven't tried nightmare or the new sets yet.
Readhorn gate can be problematic with all its 3 threat things in the early game, but a decent draw and it falls fast. Return to Radagast was a fail, as was Return to Mirkwood. All others went down 1st try and a few twice in a row. I didn't play Core or Into the Pit.
There are still some fun cards in this one, but it could be made more powerful by removing the funny options for power cards.
A Rainbow deck is a deck that uses all faction in the game (as factions are usually coloured).. so all colours in the rainbow.
Total : 50
Hero 1 : • Merry ( The Black Riders 3 )
Hero 2 : • Hirluin the Fair ( The Steward's Fear 1 )
Hero 3 : • Dúnhere ( Core Set 9 )
2 x • Denethor ( Encounter at Amon Dîn 57 )
2 x Errand-rider ( Heirs of Númenor 3 )
2 x • Faramir ( Core Set 14 )
2 x • Forlong ( The Drúadan Forest 33 )
3 x Warrior of Lossarnach ( The Steward's Fear 2 )
3 x Knights of the Swan ( The Steward's Fear 4 )
3 x Ethir Swordsman ( The Steward's Fear 6 )
3 x Anfalas Herdsman ( The Steward's Fear 8 )
3 x • Gandalf ( Core Set 73 )
3 x • Steward of Gondor ( Core Set 26 )
2 x • Sword of Morthond ( Assault on Osgiliath 82 )
3 x Dagger of Westernesse ( The Black Riders 14 )
1 x Spear of the Mark ( The Morgul Vale 137 )
3 x Unexpected Courage ( Core Set 57 )
2 x Resourceful ( The Watcher in the Water 62 )
3 x Sneak Attack ( Core Set 23 )
3 x Foe-hammer ( The Hobbit - Over Hill and Under Hill 15 )
2 x A Test of Will ( Core Set 50 )
2 x Dwarven Tomb ( Core Set 53 )
3 x The Galadhrim's Greeting ( Core Set 46 )
The core of the deck is Outlands for speed questing and Duhnere for removing staging area threats. It is important to get threat reduction early, I would probably mulligan for it as a priority. Other good start cards is a weapon or steward.
Use Hirluin to cast the rainbow of outland cards. He is a good target for Steward as the deck engine is mostly leadership. The low cost of many of these cards will give him enough to 4 cost resourcefulness if you need to. Steward can go on either Dunhere or Hirluin, make the choice based on the card in hand.
Depending on quest you might wana muligan for Ethir Swordsman for will boost of 3 at the start.
- Faramir : Quest God!
- Errand-rider : Merry will collect cash like a ***** in a slapper house. Use these guys to transfer resources form him, and for other general mana needs. When no resources need shifting, remember you can commit to the quest with 0 will and use Faramir to add 1.
- Denethor : Easy 3 will with Steward on Hirluin, also try to get Sword of Morthond on him so he can get all the Outland bonuses. At fill power this gives him 7 will, 5 attack, 6 defence and 7 Health (not that this will happen but he can get pretty boss) He and the sword is a high priority for subs.
- Weapons : go on Duhnere for 7 attack into staging area and use Foe-hammer to smooth the deck. 4 weapons pumps the draw % and I chose to uses 3 daggers as they are optimal in case of tricky engagements outside the normal engagement rules..
- UC : Get 2 on Dunhere and 1 on Hirluin so he can attack any engaged. Remeber he is Outlands so gets all bonuses.
All in all a pretty simple deck... Outlands and Duhnere.
For those that do not know, a scratch pad is NOT a sideboard. It is just a place to record cards you put in and out as you test the deck while it is finalising. These are all cards that I am still in flux about and think would find a nice home in this deck. The core of the deck is pretty strict and rather strong, so there is a lot of room to fiddle to fit your play style. So these are cards I have tried or planning to try and why I think they would fit or not fit.
Staging Area Control
- Descendant of Thorondor - Merry gets a lot of unused resources. Use descendant to utilise them. A good target to replace could be Errand-rider as there will be less resource wastage. Quick strike if you want, though they are bets saved for Gandalf. Cast Descendant, optional engage, block with descendant.. 4 dmg to staging area.Kill engaged monster. If the deck fully functions you shouldn't get engagements though.
- Quick Strike - Remove monster threat from staging area before quest calculation. This deck can quest like a mother fucker, so not strictly needed.
- Straight Shot - Remove 0 defence mobs before quest calculation.
- Imladris Stargazer - In theory adds 5 draw to each round. Pick and choose the exact cards you need.She dosn't work so well wit hout card draw of some kind as after the initial stacking you back to only drawing 1 card a turn. Even so she can assure engine cards are drawn early.
- Map of Earnil - There are a lot of resources flying about, a product of the original hook of Gordian Fire. 3 cost is bad but not getting threat reduction card is worse. Just another layer of cycling.
- Men of the West - Lose your knights? Bring em back and get your buffs.
- Ancient Mathom - Card draw is awesome, you quest well so any location == 3 cards.
Extra Threat Reduction
- Damrod - Sac him when the staging area is full, gain lowered threat. Quest or use a chump while you wait for optimal time. You can quest so fast so feel free to let mobs stack up for nice threat drop.
Extra Attack Power
- Knight of Minas Tirith - Need a little attack power? Get Sword of Morthond on this guy for a max of 6 attack 3 will 4 block.
- Great Yew Bow - Get it on Hirluin to have more attack into staging area. Spare weapons go on him as well, with Outlands that is 7 to staging. UC and quest power makes this not needed so much.
The Original Plan (possibly still viable)
Gondorian Fire / Blood of Númenor - Get steward on Dunhere, get 2 resourceful on Dunhere.Use Errand-rider to transfer resources as needed. UC or Steed so Duhnere can quest and attack, Gondorian Fire / Blood of Númenor allows crazy dmg. So much so you can remove the other weapons. The deck was originally like this, so it still has huge resource draw. Blood can make safe blocking of anything that gets through.. possibly a way to deal with the coming Battle / Siege quests I have yet to try.
Comments and suggestions welcome!
Edited by booored, 13 February 2014 - 09:25 AM.