Dunhere's Rainbow

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:10 AM

Deck I threw together after chatting to Fippin about a silly combo with Gordian Fire and Dunhere, a combo conspicuously absent as it fell off during my play through of a bunch of quests. The deck still needs some tweaking but seams to  have the basic functionality working fine.

So far it has beaten most of mirkwood, Khaz and all of Darowdelf with little effort...I haven't tried nightmare or the new sets yet.

Readhorn gate can be problematic with all its 3 threat things in the early game, but a decent draw and it falls fast. Return to Radagast was a fail, as was Return to Mirkwood. All others went down 1st try and a few twice in a row. I didn't play Core or Into the Pit.

There are still some fun cards in this one, but it could be made more powerful by removing the funny options for power cards.

A Rainbow deck is a deck that uses all faction in the game (as factions are usually coloured).. so all colours in the rainbow.

Dunhere's Rainbow

Total : 50

Heroes
Hero 1 : • Merry ( The Black Riders 3 )
Hero 2 : • Hirluin the Fair ( The Steward's Fear 1 )
Hero 3 : • Dúnhere ( Core Set 9 )

Allies
2 x • Denethor ( Encounter at Amon Dîn 57 )
2 x Errand-rider ( Heirs of Númenor 3 )
2 x • Faramir ( Core Set 14 )
2 x • Forlong ( The Drúadan Forest 33 )
3 x Warrior of Lossarnach ( The Steward's Fear 2 )
3 x Knights of the Swan ( The Steward's Fear 4 )
3 x Ethir Swordsman ( The Steward's Fear 6 )
3 x Anfalas Herdsman ( The Steward's Fear 8 )
3 x • Gandalf ( Core Set 73 )

Attachments

3 x • Steward of Gondor ( Core Set 26 )
2 x • Sword of Morthond ( Assault on Osgiliath 82 )
3 x Dagger of Westernesse ( The Black Riders 14 )
1 x Spear of the Mark ( The Morgul Vale 137 )
3 x Unexpected Courage ( Core Set 57 )
2 x Resourceful ( The Watcher in the Water 62 )

Events

3 x Sneak Attack ( Core Set 23 )
3 x Foe-hammer ( The Hobbit - Over Hill and Under Hill 15 )
2 x A Test of Will ( Core Set 50 )
2 x Dwarven Tomb ( Core Set 53 )
3 x The Galadhrim's Greeting ( Core Set 46 )

The core of the deck is Outlands for speed questing and Duhnere for removing staging area threats. It is important to get threat reduction early, I would probably mulligan for it as a priority. Other good start cards is a weapon or steward.

Use Hirluin to cast the rainbow of outland cards. He is a good target for Steward as the deck engine is mostly leadership. The low cost of many of these cards will give him enough to 4 cost resourcefulness if you need to. Steward can go on either Dunhere or Hirluin, make the choice based on the card in hand.

Depending on quest you might wana muligan for Ethir Swordsman for will boost of 3 at the start.

• Faramir : Quest God!
  • Errand-rider : Merry will collect cash like a ***** in a slapper house. Use these guys to transfer resources form him, and for other general mana needs. When no resources need shifting, remember you can commit to the quest with 0 will and use Faramir to add 1.
  • Denethor : Easy 3 will with Steward on Hirluin, also try to get Sword of Morthond on him so he can get all the Outland bonuses. At fill power this gives him 7 will, 5 attack, 6 defence and 7 Health (not that this will happen but he can get pretty boss) He and the sword is a high priority for subs.
  • Weapons : go on Duhnere for 7 attack into staging area and use Foe-hammer to smooth the deck. 4 weapons pumps the draw % and I chose to uses 3 daggers as they are optimal in case of tricky engagements outside the normal engagement rules..
  • UC : Get 2 on Dunhere and 1 on Hirluin so he can attack any engaged. Remeber he is Outlands so gets all bonuses.

All in all a pretty simple deck... Outlands and Duhnere.

For those that do not know, a scratch pad is NOT a sideboard. It is just a place to record cards you put in and out as you test the deck while it is finalising. These are all cards that I am still in flux about and think would find a nice home in this deck. The core of the deck is pretty strict and rather strong, so there is a lot of room to fiddle to fit your play style. So these are cards I have tried or planning to try and why I think they would fit or not fit.

Scratchpad

Staging Area Control

• Descendant of Thorondor - Merry gets a lot of unused resources. Use descendant to utilise them. A good target to replace could be Errand-rider as there will be less resource wastage. Quick strike if you want, though they are bets saved for Gandalf. Cast Descendant, optional engage, block with descendant.. 4 dmg to staging area.Kill engaged monster. If the deck fully functions you shouldn't get engagements though.
  • Quick Strike - Remove monster threat from staging area before quest calculation. This deck can quest like a mother fucker, so not strictly needed.
  • Straight Shot - Remove 0 defence mobs before quest calculation.

Deck Smoothing

• Imladris Stargazer - In theory adds 5 draw to each round. Pick and choose the exact cards you need.She dosn't work so well wit hout card draw of some kind as after the initial stacking you back to only drawing 1 card a turn. Even so she can assure engine cards are drawn early.
  • Map of Earnil - There are a lot of resources flying about, a product of the original hook of Gordian Fire. 3 cost is bad but not getting threat reduction card is worse. Just another layer of cycling.
  • Men of the West - Lose your knights? Bring em back and get your buffs.
  • Ancient Mathom - Card draw is awesome, you quest well so any location == 3 cards.

Extra Threat Reduction 

• Damrod - Sac him when the staging area is full, gain lowered threat. Quest or use a chump while you wait for optimal time. You can quest so fast so feel free to let mobs stack up for nice threat drop.

Extra Attack Power

• Knight of Minas Tirith  - Need a little attack power? Get Sword of Morthond on this guy for a max of 6 attack 3 will 4 block.
  • Great Yew Bow  - Get it on Hirluin to have more attack into staging area. Spare weapons go on him as well, with Outlands that is 7 to staging. UC and quest power makes this not needed so much.

The Original Plan (possibly still viable)

Gondorian Fire / Blood of Númenor - Get steward on Dunhere, get 2 resourceful on Dunhere.Use Errand-rider to transfer resources as needed. UC or Steed so Duhnere can quest and attack, Gondorian Fire / Blood of Númenor allows crazy dmg. So much so you can remove the other weapons. The deck was originally like this, so it still has huge resource draw. Blood can make safe blocking of anything that gets through.. possibly a way to deal with the coming Battle / Siege quests I have yet to try.

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Edited by booored, 13 February 2014 - 09:25 AM.

• wlk likes this
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#2 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:17 AM

Beacons of Dunhere

Total : 50

Heroes
Hero 1 : • Merry ( The Black Riders 3 )
Hero 2 : • Hirluin the Fair ( The Steward's Fear 1 )
Hero 3 : • Dúnhere ( Core Set 9 )

Allies
2 x Errand-rider ( Heirs of Númenor 3 )
2 x • Faramir ( Core Set 14 )
2 x • Forlong ( The Drúadan Forest 33 )
3 x Warrior of Lossarnach ( The Steward's Fear 2 )
3 x Knights of the Swan ( The Steward's Fear 4 )
3 x Ethir Swordsman ( The Steward's Fear 6 )
3 x Anfalas Herdsman ( The Steward's Fear 8 )
3 x • Gandalf ( Core Set 73 )

Attachments
3 x • Steward of Gondor ( Core Set 26 )
3 x Gondorian Fire ( Assault on Osgiliath 85 )
3 x Ancient Mathom ( A Journey to Rhosgobel 56 )
2 x Blood of Númenor ( Heirs of Númenor 13 )
3 x Unexpected Courage ( Core Set 57 )
3 x Resourceful ( The Watcher in the Water 62 )

Events
2 x Men of the West ( Assault on Osgiliath 83 )
3 x Sneak Attack ( Core Set 23 )
2 x A Test of Will ( Core Set 50 )
2 x Dwarven Tomb ( Core Set 53 )
3 x The Galadhrim's Greeting ( Core Set 46 )

After watching a movie and having dinner I remade the deck on the original idea fomr the thread using Gondorian Fire. It is practically the same deck but Steward gose on Dunhere and you should probably mulligan if you aint got it in opening hand. Has a weak turn 1, but gets speed fast. Can attack for a billion and defend for a billion one steward and 1xResourceful is on him.

Only played 1 quest, crushed The Stewards Fear into a fine pink powder that I used to grit my driveway. At one point had 28 resources on Dunhere (that is 29 attack to staging or 28 defense). Lots of resource wastage still.

GN

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#3 monkeyrama

monkeyrama

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

These look like pretty fun decks. I had a lot of fun with one of Tracker's (I think, apologies if I have mis-attributed this) that turned Boromir into a tank with Gondorian Fire and Blood of Numenor. There's something very satisfying about sweeping boards clear of enemies with a single character! Will try a build of this sometime, when I get a chance. The marriage of this strategy with the Outlands is potent. Mind you, any marriage with the Outlands is potent...

#4 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

How is card draw in these decks? One thing that i found important with outlands was to have heavy draw and resources. Questing power in the first round or 2 might be kind of low, meanwhile the other mission will be trying to lower threat. You have Gandalf sneak attack early to help, but Dunhere trying to pay for Galadrim Greeting and other Spirt cards with only getting additional resources from errand ridder, and maybe getting a resourceful which is kind of pricey while not in secrecy, seems like he is going to be scretched for resources. Any issues with this? Ever consider a Song of Travel on Hurluin?
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#5 Demoncow

Demoncow

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

dear booored: In the future please censor your posts

Thank you

Demoncow: He who takes off like a llama when the need arises.

#6 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

The marriage of this strategy with the Outlands is potent. Mind you, any marriage with the Outlands is potent...

Totally

How is card draw in these decks?

Foe-Hammer is a easy 3 card draw, often you can draw 6 in one turn if you have 2 weapons out. So far this has been fine. I usually stack card draw to the max but have yet to really have a problem. In the scratchpad I have listed a few options for deck smoothing. The best is Mathom, as you can quest for fast it is easy to trigger Mathom.

Questing power in the first round or 2 might be kind of low,.

Yeah, the base quest is 3, having a good hand is helpful, but knowing you quest is a easy fix. with your 12 cards you are often able to hit the swordsmen if you want early speed. This is the biggest problem though, but as it is outlands it doesn't take long to get a very fast quest speed. The start quest speed can make high threat opening decks like Readhorn Gate a bit sketchy.

Resourceful which is kind of pricey while not in secrecy.

You know, I do not think it is. Sure with out secrecy i seams expensive being 3 resources more than what you can pay for it.. but it only takes 2 turns to break even. Even with out secrecy I think these cards are very powerful.

The trick here is that Merry is in this just for a resource match, meaning that his resources are nearly useless as all the tactic cards can be cast for 1 or 0. So often you are only paying 1 or 2 for it in a way as you are pulling resources off Merry to pay for it.

Ever consider a Song of Travel on Hurluin?

Absolutely.

I just wanted to not use them for a change.

With out Minstrel you need 3 to make them high % for early draw and outlands requires deck saturation. I just haven't found it necessary so far and was reluctant to use the slots.

I haven't had much of a problem with threat reduction even with this as there are so few cards on spirit. Even the swordsman can be cast by Hurluin. This is why Mathom was not in the initial deck list as well.

A Good Harvest could be a nice way to smooth those early resourcing problems.

Edited by booored, 13 February 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#7 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:45 AM

This are some fine decks, not really a rainbow one tho, get Thorin,Bombur and Oin get one dwarf down and you have all 4 colors in your table, thats a ("true" no songs no Hirluin or Elrond) rainbow deck my friend ;)

• booored likes this

(]xxxxxx[}::::::::::::::::::::>

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS