Interceptors vs Blue Chewie

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

My friend and I flew a sortie today with 4 Interceptors facing Chewie and 2 B-Wings.

The Interceptors were kitted out as follows;

32 points
Soontir Fel
Swarm Tactics, Stealth Device

27 points
Turr Phennir
Swarm Tactics

23 points
Saber Squadron Pilot
Swarm Tactics

18 points
Alpha Squadron Pilot

my opponent had

50 points
Chewbacca
Gunner, Millennium Falcon, Anti-Pursuit Lasers

25 points
Blue Squadron Pilot #1
Advanced Sensors

25 points
Blue Squadron Pilot #2
Advanced Sensors

We rolled for initiative and I ended up with it.

So this was going to need clever formation flying and the B-Wings needed to go down first.

Set up saw me in a formation square about range 2.5 in from my left edge, with the Alpha and Sabre in lead positions.

My opponent set up his B's at about the same point from his left edge only angled towards me. Chewie was about range 3.5 in from his left edge, also angled toward me.

Turn one saw me pull a uniform 4 forwards and his 2 B's pulled 4 RED's forward. Chewie moved 1 soft to be parallel to his table edge.

Turn 2 saw me pull 3 soft right with my outer 2 Ints and 2 soft right with the inner two. This loped me nicely around the asteroid and when he moved 2 straight with both B's and 1 hard towards the middle of the table with Chewie I had all four Ints with R2 shots and all four had a B-Wing in their sights. All four had focused.

As I was shooting at PS 9 across the board we opened up, saving focus for defense and took the first B-Wing down to 1 shield left. Return fire from R2 on all his resulted in 2 hits on Fel.

Next turn saw me pull 5K's on everyone and the B's end up at R1 of all my ships and Chewie at R3. The B's had no shot on anything.

I opened up and the first B fell and the second B had only 1 shield left. Chewie is still unscathed. Chewie lets Soontir have it and down Soontir went (I made an error here as Soontir should have had a focus token for being stressed and it would have saved him)

The next few rounds saw the B wing go down and Chewie losing all his shields and a hull point with Turr taking 1 damage and the Sabre taking two damage.

The Interceptors made a break away from Chewie to regroup and pull K's to move back in.

Chewie took out Turr and was himself reduced to 2 Hull points whilst the Sabre was left on 1 hull. The Ints are now shooting after Chewie.....

Both Ints close for the kill. The Alpha making R1 and the Sabre at R2. At this point Chewie has an option, shoot the Sabre on 1 hull point but at R2 and the Sabre has a focus, or shoot the unhurt Alpha who is at R1 and no focus token. Chewie goes for the Alpha, but manages only 1 hit that gets through. This means Gunner doesn't kick in and I now have 7 shots back on Chewie. It takes only the Alpha's four shots shooting at PS4 from swarm on the Sabre and the Int's take the day.

This was a great game against one of the worst match ups for Ints (the Falcon Turret). Tight flying, using K's and not being afraid to run away and use defensive tactics showed that Int's can do the job.

My opponent is no slouch either and flew well so we both had a great game. 

Edited by Englishpete, 13 February 2014 - 11:53 AM.

• Jfitz1431, Simonsays3 and SableGryphon like this

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#2 Corellian Luck

Corellian Luck

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

Congrats on the win! As long as you both had fun then everyone wins! Next time try Elusiveness on Fel, had a match where my opponent used it quite effectively. Still get to use swarm tactics with Turr then.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid.
-Han Solo-

#3 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

Chewie at 2 hull vs. two Interceptors that are close is just bad news for Chewie.  Honestly, my thought there would have been to take out the Interceptor at R2 with 1 hull and a focus.  It may not have mattered but at least that ship should have gone down because only one hit needed to get through in two attacks.  Maybe the hope was to "one shot" the R1 Alpha but that is unlikely and with 4 attack the chance of Gunner triggering aren't really good.

Congrats on the win although I'm almost a little surprised.  Here I keep hearing how Falcons are an Interceptor's bane and figure that if anything can hang with an Interceptor in a non-symmetrical dogfight it would be AS-Bs.  Aside from having the advantage at range things were pretty much stacked against you.

#4 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

My opponent positioned his B's on the second round of shooting exactly where he thought I would be. He had great line of sight and focus tokens. unfortunately for him I 5K'd everyone of them to be behind and to the side of them at R1 for me and no shot for him. Chewie's stinkin' turret had a shot, but those B's just weren't expecting that.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#5 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

That stinkin' 5k...  I don't know what he did but if that is a real possibility it should have been expected.  What did he think you were going to do?  Turn away from his incoming ships?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS