Photo

Escape from Dol Guldor (ONLY CORE SET CARDS) - PASS!!!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Legoland

Legoland

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

Hey - I´m so excited and I need to show it :D

After hours and hours I finally finished Dol Guldor just with the Core Set (2x Sets) Cards! ^_^

I firts skipped the quest, thougt I won it with 2; 3 and 4 players and go on until I reached the last Quest of Khazad Dum. Here I decided not to go on until I managed the the unbelivable hard Dol Guldor with only the Core Cards. I tried endless times because I wouldn´t belive that it is unbeatable.

This is how I managed it:

I choose Leadership, because the are the only Sphere which can handle with the low resource, because it creates more by Steaward of Gondor. Also you can handle the first part with almost every mix of the two not caught heros. And finaly it has the best joker option Seak attacking Gandalf^^. I played with 30 cards (as the Core Set are) and try to hit and quest as fast and hard as I could. What means, if starthand has no Gandalf, Sneak attack nor Steward, give up ;)

I don´t know how oftend I lost. I didn´t count. But it´s for sure something like 1 out of 50^^. But now I can say: It´s not unbeatable, quite the contrary. To my surprise it was many times very close  ^_^

It feals great to beat it ^^ Thought it´s more luck than everything else xD

Did you beat that quest just with Core Cards? And yes with which Deck and points?

I had 148 points (49 threat - just one wrong card and I had died - but I didn´t :lol: )

as you can see at the Quest Log. I try to beat every Quest with every Sphere, so maybe somebody beat it with another sphere too?

PS: Still grining :D

• monkeyrama, Raven1015, danpoage and 6 others like this

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.” LotR The fellowship of the ring

#2 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

should I be congratulating you or calling a psychiatrist?

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#3 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

should I be congratulating you or calling a psychiatrist?

Uh,... congratulating? ;)

Like, congratulating me when I'm finally going to smack Morgul Vale with a mono lore deck? :unsure:

• danpoage likes this

#4 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

Playing 50 games with a non standard deck and wining one isn't a feat to praise.. it is the laws of chance.

That is like saying if i sat there and flipped a coin 500 times and got a streak of 15 in a row of heads that is awesome, when in fact it is a act of futility.. maybe even with a dash of crazy stubborn ocd type stuff thrown in.

I mean yeah good on you.. but also.. are you serious? lol

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#5 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

I wonder, do you just constantly check the forums for every opportunity to piss in someone's beer?

And no, your signature does not give you license to be a jerk. This is a community filled with so many cool people, and a few orcs. Thanks for being the exception that proves the rule.

"People should not use a signature to rationalize their lack of consideration for others"

• OnkelZorni, Dain Ironfoot, karagh and 7 others like this

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
—Oscar Wilde

#6 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

get a sense of humor princess.

#7 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

When i started to play to this game, i only had the core in front of me. I didn't know absolutely nothing about other packs, expansions, forums, etc. Only me and the core, nothing more.

I readed the rules 2 or 3 times and i played the first quest. I won, on the second or third time. After, Anduin, i didn't won. And i tried Dol Guldur.... agh! It was being impossible. :ph34r:

I was wondering all the time :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: if i was playing bad, if i might didnt understand any rule. Lol. But no, i was playing.... Dol Guldur with only core cards!!!! AAAAAAGH!!!!! :wacko:  Lol.

Edited by Mndela, 12 February 2014 - 05:54 PM.

• karagh and danpoage like this

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#8 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Ok, I think I get it now. I've been watching some of Don Rickles's, Jeffry Ross', insult comic sort of acts lately, not a style of humor I too often watch. We all experiment with certain kinds of humor at some point, and insult comedy is a difficult one to get right. But when you think in terms of very rough-cut insult jokes, you start to see that booored is experimenting with his own material, not being a troll. Problem with that kind of humor is that if your audience doesn't know that it's a bit, it sets a very different tone. Personally, I'm a big fan of satire; at least there, if a joke falls flat, I just seem like I had a boring opinion.

I think a mark of a great game is when it is fun even when you lose, and that's totally true here. I find Dol Guldor a bit too painful to revisit that often, but I'd definitely bring leadership to go after it for the same reason Legoland said; gotta make up for that lost resource!

• Dain Ironfoot, karagh and danpoage like this

#9 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

I was wondering all the time :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: if i was playing bad, if i might didnt understand any rule. Lol. But no, i was playing.... Dol Guldur with only core cards!!!! AAAAAAGH!!!!! :wacko:  Lol.

lol... wait till you try nightmare!

#10 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

Thanks for being the exception that proves the rule.

Um. Just a note - exceptions do not prove the rules, they deny them.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 13 February 2014 - 12:03 AM.

#11 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:22 AM

I think all Beorn was trying to say is the the negativity on the forums is the exception to the rule that the LOTR:LCG community is typically one of nice, helpful people.

In other words, when you get the random negative jerk on the forums (the exception), it simply reminds us ("proves") that most players of this game are good people. :)

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 13 February 2014 - 12:23 AM.

• danpoage likes this

#12 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

it's just an expression, Trololo.  Exceptions cannot exist unless there is a rule in the first place...

• danpoage likes this

#13 Legoland

Legoland

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:34 AM

@booored call me insane  - it´s ok. If you would see how oftend I tried some other hard quest until now - you would surly cry about it^^

But as camacazio say´s right, it´s so much fun in that game, finding out how to beat it. The quests are thematicly and it makes a lot of fun even to get beated ;)

Of course the win of Dol Guldor is nothing else as luck! But hey, I had that luck and certainly you can lead you cards in your hand to stay with luck (by well thought playing). Combination of both let you through (or out :D).

But we miss the point friends :) I´m very intreted in the question I meantioned first. Because my statistic excel will beat every quest with every Speher :D There he´s back again - psychiatrist :blink:

Did you beat that quest just with Core Cards? And yes with which Deck and points?
I had 148 points (49 threat - just one wrong card and I had died - but I didn´t :lol: )
as you can see at the Quest Log. I try to beat every Quest with every Sphere, so maybe somebody beat it with another sphere too?

PS: I´m thinking about beating it again, just to see if it would take again 50+ tries^^ :ph34r:

• danpoage likes this

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.” LotR The fellowship of the ring

#14 servant of the secret fire

servant of the secret fire

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

I think all Beorn was trying to say is the the negativity on the forums is the exception to the rule that the LOTR:LCG community is typically one of nice, helpful people.

In other words, when you get the random negative jerk on the forums (the exception), it simply reminds us ("proves") that most players of this game are good people. :)

This.

Legoland:There are many nice people in this forum who you can share you thoughts and for the rest you can just ignore them.As for the Dol-Guldur quest yes you need all the luck in the world to complete it but good job anyway.Really nice to see people enjoy this game so much.

• Dain Ironfoot, danpoage, Olorin93 and 1 other like this

#15 monkeyrama

monkeyrama

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

I remember my first win against this quest was a two-handed game with the core-set Spirit and Lore decks (ah the old days of so little choice!). I won it with a threat of 48, at least two characters dead, and Gandalf facing down the Nazgul. Those core-set days were kinda wonderful, and even made me use a 12 threat Glorfindel! The horror!!

First wins against this one are always sweet!

• Dain Ironfoot and danpoage like this

#16 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

Playing 50 games with a non standard deck and wining one isn't a feat to praise.. it is the laws of chance.

That is like saying if i sat there and flipped a coin 500 times and got a streak of 15 in a row of heads that is awesome, when in fact it is a act of futility.. maybe even with a dash of crazy stubborn ocd type stuff thrown in.

I mean yeah good on you.. but also.. are you serious? lol

Buuuuuut playing 50 times and then finally winning after being soooooooooo close once or twice a dozen of times - I mean yeah, if that doesn't make you excited, you're probably a psychatrist robot. At least Lego didn't wake his next door neighbours to tell them the breaking news!

#17 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Tell'ya what. "Typically" means not always, thus this rare negativity does not breaks the rule, which leads us to the conclusion it's not an exception. The jerk on the forum would be an exception if the rule was "there are no jerks on the forums", and if this would happen - then rule would be broken and cease to exist as a rule. This "exception proving the rule" thing is complete and utter nonsense.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 13 February 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#18 Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

This "exception proving the rule" thing is complete and utter nonsense.

I would describe it as wit and wordplay.

• Dain Ironfoot, danpoage and chuckles like this

#19 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Can't believe I'm delving into this, but... Just because a rule has an exception, doesn't mean that the original rule is invalidated, otherwise the word "exception" would have no meaning and wouldn't exist. The rule "you may not park here" is not invalidated by the additional phrase "except on sundays". I'm not sure if you'd have much luck trying to make that argument to get out of a parking ticket!

Anyways, the phrase was used figuratively. The jerk poster is an "exception that proves the rule" because the fact that it is notable at all demonstrates the opposite pattern. If every poster or the majority were jerks, for example, then no one would notice. The fact that it is remarkable essentially proves the rule (or pattern, if you like).

• danpoage and chuckles like this

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#20 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Can't believe I'm delving into this, but... Just because a rule has an exception, doesn't mean that the original rule is invalidated, otherwise the word "exception" would have no meaning and wouldn't exist. The rule "you may not park here" is not invalidated by the additional phrase "except on sundays". I'm not sure if you'd have much luck trying to make that argument to get out of a parking ticket!

Anyways, the phrase was used figuratively. The jerk poster is an "exception that proves the rule" because the fact that it is notable at all demonstrates the opposite pattern. If every poster or the majority were jerks, for example, then no one would notice. The fact that it is remarkable essentially proves the rule (or pattern, if you like).

"Except on sundays" is a part of the rule, thus has no effect on the rule itself. Exceptions does not prove the rules, try finding and exception in mathematics that proves the rule, lol. As soon as exception is found - it's no longer a rule.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS