Star Wars: Rebels

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

I'm not necessarily in disagreement with either of you; I was essentially replying to this, which struck me as odd:

Im kinda sad they didn't change it.

Why would anyone be kinda sad that they didn't arbitrarily rename an alien that was barely sketched out in the first place?

Anyway, as far as the novels and stuff go, they can toss all that and I wouldn't care - most of the ones I read were pretty bad, anyway. But to rename, say, a CR-90 corvette to a DL-81 or something just seems needlessly destructive to me.

• Sturn and jerrypocalypse like this

#82 jerrypocalypse

jerrypocalypse

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

Anyway, as far as the novels and stuff go, they can toss all that and I wouldn't care - most of the ones I read were pretty bad, anyway. But to rename, say, a CR-90 corvette to a DL-81 or something just seems needlessly destructive to me.

I'm in agreement here. Changing events or rewriting canon to make things more consistent makes sense to me and is usually easy enough to follow. Changing names of stuff would just be incredibly confusing (moreso than changing other stuff anyway) to me.

In the case of the Zeb and the Lasat, I don't really have an opinion either way. He's a "new" alien species so it works any way they want to do it. Making up a new one with a new name, or using the Lasat, which is based on the same concept art and has pretty sparse info so they can make up what they want.

• Desslok likes this

#83 R2builder

R2builder

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

I know this thread is about Rebels, but I am coming in to hijack it for a moment. No one shall dare speak ill of WEG ! :)
No, that's not it...

I don't know how many watched the Clone Wars Lost Missions trailer, but according to dialog in there, they have changed the name of the Sith home world to "Moriband".

I have to admit, that I am not happy about. If they want to change it, fine, but then change it to something way different...
Korriban is now Moriband?? Not liking it.

Now back to Star Wars Rebels.
  • Sturn likes this

Please check out our group and leave comments at: https://edge-of-the-...dianportal.com/

#84 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

I'm not necessarily in disagreement with either of you; I was essentially replying to this, which struck me as odd:

Im kinda sad they didn't change it.

Why would anyone be kinda sad that they didn't arbitrarily rename an alien that was barely sketched out in the first place?

Because I posted that in a very flippant mood. I will try again to spell this out. I don't have any desire to hold onto the "glory" days of WEG. I never played the game, and anything they have named that has become more common knowledge, such as rodians or yt-1300's or whatever, should keep the most well known name, but if some obscure elements such as the lasat name come to forefront of the fanbase, disney/ lucasfilm shouldn't necessarily be beholden to what was written as canon. That is all I'm trying to say...

If Zeb's species was called a Sunarg because the writers didn't know about the lasat thing, or didnt like how it sounded I would be fine if they changed it. Glad, even, that they aren't trying to shoehorn every piddly little detail from an obscure, outdated - obsolete even - source, because somebody wrote a five letter word as a name.

Disney/Lucasfilm and Fantasy Flight have the rights now, not WEG. They can change whatever they want. Yes I know, disney has a team of canoneers saying what is and what isn't canon and I hope they are as willing to dismiss the good (if it doesn't jive with the new movies), the bad (darksaber perhaps) and the indifferent (lasat species name) if it is better served changing it rather than keep it.

Jerrypocaslypse, you summed it up pretty well. The actual name doesn't matter. Most of the people who will watch probably don't even know about the current rpg, let alone the old outdated and as far as I'm personally concerned, should be recycled, old rpg. Unless you can sell them at an exorbitant price to some weg fanboy, so you can buy Fantasy Flights good RPG. (This is a joke troll comment by the way - you want to use WEG stuff in your game, awesome. To me though, it means two things: Jack and what's in my sons diaper... and Jack left town)
  • jerrypocalypse likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#85 jerrypocalypse

jerrypocalypse

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

I agree that they shouldn't feel beholden to adhear to anything. With the way that Disney is analyzing the canon, I don't think they feel that they are either. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to use the concept art, found out it had been used in the past, liked the name, and just decided to go with it. They might have even had other names in mind but in the end went with lasat. I didn't know about them before the Zeb stuff either (I also never played the WEG game). I kind of like the name so I'm okay with it.

In the end, I think FFG and Disney will take what they like and change stuff that they don't. FFG has already shown that they are willing to alter some details to make the game fit their vision better and I am more than on board with this. I think they are walking a nice middleground: not changing things all willy nilly, but also not keeping things just for the sake of keeping them because they were in some other source of canon.

• That Blasted Samophlange likes this

#86 Lord Zack

Lord Zack

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

I don't really want the old Star Wars Universe to be basically discarded, especially since I kind of actually like parts of the EU much more than of the movies. I mean if they change it too much it's not the Star Wars universe I know and love and I really don't have any reason to care about that.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS