Star Wars: Rebels

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

While I can appreciate that some people would prefer a series more focused on "muggles", I also realize that a majority of fans want or need to see Jedi. And lets face it, Jedi sell. They could probably do a very good series around the "muggles", but I doubt it would be as popular. At the end of the day they want something that will appeal to a broad audience, otherwise the series will, in all likelihood, get pulled. And I'm sure no fans want that.

That was always my worry with the now-abandoned, 'Sopranos-esque' live action series they were working on before the Disney sale. A Star Wars story needs at least some of that mystical, heroic element to be Star Wars... you can only watch so many people get thrown into rancor pits.  :P

#62 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

I don't mind some Jedi, Sith, or Dark Siders. I'm just worried it will turn out like the latter seasons of The Clone Wars where IMO in later seasons the series seemed to become more about the Jedi than the namesake conflict, They could have done great stories focused on the actions of Jedi during the war, and they did do that some but they also gave us things like the Force Ghost Arc, the character butchery of the last arc, and the return of Darth Maul plus tying Maul and Dathomir together which I feel added nothing to the story and made no sense. I still have trouble understanding why they did a five season series focused on the Clone Wars but never thought to so us the development of The Kenobi Offensive, or at least a use of it., Especially after they used the Marg Sabl Closure maneuver from Heir to the Empire in Storm over Ryloth.  

#63 Lord Zack

Lord Zack

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

I liked the last Maul storyline at least. It made him seem more like he was worthy of the "Darth" title than being merely an assassin.

• kaosoe likes this

#64 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

So according to some Toyfair images, it can be confirmed that Ezra's going to become a Jedi (or at least get a lightsaber of his own) and there's a female Mandalorian by the name of Sabine that's one of the good guys.

http://www.newsarama...-fair-2014.html

http://www.starwarsu...rian-armor.html

http://www.ign.com/a...bels-characters

• Dex Vulen likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#65 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Interesting. I'm more interested in Agent Kallus myself than the Pink Ranger Mandalorian.

• Brother Orpheo likes this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#66 Lord Zack

Lord Zack

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

Sabine looks pretty young. It's entirely possible she could be Bo-Katan's daughter and thus niece to the late Satine Kryze, and perhaps named in honor of her.

#67 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

I also think that Sabine is Bo-Katan's daughter, named after Satine.    Agent Kallus could be a very interesting character, at least I hope he is - I expect him to be the Admiral Zhao of this series.

You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#68 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

So according to some Toyfair images, it can be confirmed that Ezra's going to become a Jedi (or at least get a lightsaber of his own) and there's a female Mandalorian by the name of Sabine that's one of the good guys.

http://www.newsarama...-fair-2014.html

http://www.starwarsu...rian-armor.html

http://www.ign.com/a...bels-characters

Wasn't Sabine the chick from Mandalore that Obi-Wan was sweet on in the Clone Wars?

#69 Shakespearian_Soldier

Shakespearian_Soldier

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

That was Satine, if I recall correctly.

• kaosoe likes this

"Beg for your life. No, doing so won't save you - but it will make your death more amusing to watch."
- Vago the Hutt; Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

#70 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

It's now official: Zeb is a Lasat.

And Sabine has a different surname from Satine Kryze, namely Wren.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#71 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

It's now official: Zeb is a Lasat.

Nice! I'm glad to see they didn't change the name just for the sake of changing it. :)

#72 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

Im kinda sad they didn't change it. But, I don't have the nostalgia for weg Star Wars, and think it should disappear along with the d20 version, erased from the collective consciousness.
  • Jegergryte likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#73 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

Im kinda sad they didn't change it. But, I don't have the nostalgia for weg Star Wars, and think it should disappear along with the d20 version, erased from the collective consciousness.

Just so you know, you are now my mortal enemy and I shall devote every moment of my existence from this point on to hunting you down and destroying you utterly. But until that long and terrible night comes, sleep well. . . .

• jaethe77, progressions, kaosoe and 3 others like this

#74 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

I'd like to give you 1/2 a Like  :)  I've found some great resources in WEG (Stock Freighters, Pirates and Privateers), but for the most part their universe is so narrow and monolithic it's tedious to wade through.  TCW gives a much better picture of galactic life.

• strongarm85 likes this

#75 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Interesting! Considering WEG barely sketched the species, what would be gained by renaming them a 'Glaxnorz', or something? On that note, would you prefer that Greedo was actually a 'Shmerkalerk'?

That sounds snide, but I don't mean it that way. I'm honestly curious!

#76 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

Interesting! Considering WEG barely sketched the species, what would be gained by renaming them a 'Glaxnorz', or something? On that note, would you prefer that Greedo was actually a 'Shmerkalerk'?

Actually, as I stated, I don't have any nostalgia for the WEG Star Wars RPG - never got to play it, I am just a little sick of seeing, all the "well, WEG did it this way.."  posts, both here and on the d20 boards.    

If changing the common things works better for this game, I'm all for it.  I don't think we should be so beholden to the past.   I would honestly like to see some NEW star wars content, rather than redoing the same stuff again and again.    

I just don't give a zarking fardwark about WEG or WotC's Star Wars at this point.  They are dead to me.

• whafrog, Dex Vulen and kaosoe like this

#77 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

Actually, as I stated, I don't have any nostalgia for the WEG Star Wars RPG - never got to play it, I am just a little sick of seeing, all the "well, WEG did it this way.."  posts, both here and on the d20 boards.    

If changing the common things works better for this game, I'm all for it.  I don't think we should be so beholden to the past.   I would honestly like to see some NEW star wars content, rather than redoing the same stuff again and again.    

I just don't give a zarking fardwark about WEG or WotC's Star Wars at this point.  They are dead to me.

Wow, I just... wow. I thought I was being nice. 

Yes, WEG told us that that guy is a Lasat. But they also told us that Greedo is a Rodian. And that a Medical Frigate is a Nebulon-B. And that the Falcon is a YT-1300.

I'm not saying everyone needs to bow down and worship WEG, but why on earth would you want these names changed, just for the sake of changing them?

If I'm not getting what you're saying, I apologize - but I would need a little more detail.

[edited for clarity]

Edited by I. J. Thompson, 27 February 2014 - 06:23 PM.

• Dex Vulen and Lord Zack like this

#78 Dex Vulen

Dex Vulen

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Never mind...

Edited by Dex Vulen, 27 February 2014 - 07:09 PM.

Proud Member of the Gand Anti-Defamation League.

#79 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Wow, I just... wow. I thought I was being nice. 

Yes, WEG told us that that guy is a Lasat. But they also told us that Greedo is a Rodian. And that a Medical Frigate is a Nebulon-B. And that the Falcon is a YT-1300.

I'm not saying everyone needs to bow down and worship WEG, but why on earth would you want these names changed, just for the sake of changing them?

If I'm not getting what you're saying, I apologize - but I would need a little more detail.

[edited for clarity]

I never said I WANTED the names changed.  All I am trying to say is that, I personally, am tired of seeing people compare everything to the WEG's RPG.   I'm sorry if you think anything I said was rude, as that was not my intent.  

While I acknowledge that WEG did a lot for the current EU and star wars lore, I don't think it should be necessarily held as gospel.  If WEG still had the license, sure, but they don't.  If Disney/Lucasfilm (or Fantasy Flight) want to change the name of something, or say that a YZ-775 has no room for passengers, then they should be allowed and not feel beholden to something like a defunct RPG, because some people hold it as gospel.   

Just because something was done a particular way (or had stats written) doesn't mean that it has to be that way.   Fantasy Flight is crafting a very good RPG currently.   If they have a vision of how things should be, I say let them do it.  Change is not necessarily bad.  We may get something even better, but you may have to take off the rose coloured glasses to see that.  

I write this from the standpoint that WEG's rpg legacy means bupkiss to me.  Zeb's species could have been called anything.  They kept Lasat because of an RPG book from the 80's that a minority of star wars fans will know of.   In a time where much of the EU is in danger of being purged, keeping little things like this is insignificant.   So, while the name of the species doesn't matter, and won't affect my enjoyment of the show - If a greater story can be accomplished by altering a detail from old sources, I think the powers that be should be willing to do that - especially if the detail is so very obscure like the name of Zeb's species which appeared in an RPG book from 1988.

I hope I cleared things up, but to sum up.   I've written far more about my original comment than I figured I would.  It was a flippant remark about not having any nostalgia towards WEG's product.    Whether Zeb's species is lasat or glaxnorz doesn't matter in terms of the show - the name was left to cater to a small group of people who have Nostalgia towards the RPG.  If they changed the name, most of the people who watch the show wouldn't have known what it was originally called.

Also, another fact, if Episode VII nullifies the existence of Thrawn, I personally don't care.  I enjoyed those books, but if the new movies are good, I would gladly take the loss - but, I know people will scream murder over it.  A certain writer is rumoured to have gotten death threats for killing Chewbacca..   

• whafrog and Dex Vulen like this

#80 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:43 AM

I'm with Samophlange, in that while the old WEG Star Wars stuff was good, it shouldn't necessarily be held as inviolate simply out of sheer nostalgia.

As much as I enjoy Zahn's work in the post-RotJ era, I'm willing to accept that the new movies may very well invalidate some, if not all of what he's written in regards to that era.  He'd already had some of the stuff in Thrawn Trilogy invalidated by the prequels, as have other authors; most folks figured it'd been more than 20 years between when the Clone Wars ended and the Original Trilogy began, or that Luke & Leia's mother had survived for at least a little while after the twins were born.

As was noted in a similar thread over in the AoR section, The Force Unleashed (aka the last big multi-media event that Lucasfilm tried to organize) has, per Pablo Hidalgo, already been moved to a non-canon status in regards to how the Rebel Alliance came to be.

There's also the simple matter that what WEG created is, in RPG terms, ancient history.  It'd really cut down on the creativity of new material like Star Wars: Rebels if they had to remain slavishly devoted to huge swaths of stuff that a bunch of third-party writers created well over a decade ago.

Yeah, Zeb's been tagged as a Lasat, which was a label that WEG applied to an old concept drawing, something they did a lot of during their ownership of the license since it was probably cheaper just to slap a made-up name onto an early concept drawing (Z-95 Headhunters came about by way of early X-Wing concept drawings as another instance).  But that doesn't mean the Lasat species in SW: Rebels has to follow the same template that WEG laid out.  I glanced at the Wookieepedia article, and the Lasat as described there were indicated to prize cunning and sneakiness, where Zeb seems to be of a warrior-race type of background that's very direct in dealing with an enemy (he's pretty much a Hired Gun/Marauder in my eyes).

• Sturn, Dex Vulen and kaosoe like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS