• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 jerrypocalypse

jerrypocalypse

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

Bummer...

I am of the camp "No Jedi" please.  Won't stop me from watching, but I really wanted to see normal folk with the occasional force user.

yeah, same.  In fact, having a force using Sith Inquisitor as a villain seems a bit much.  We don't need another Asaj Ventress or Savage Opress.  Give us a smart and ruthless moff or Imperial Agent or something.

I was kind of bummed out about this too. A story about the beginnings of the Rebellion would be the perfect opportunity to showcase some non-force using villains and heroes.

• ObiWanBilbo likes this

#42 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

There is still a chance we will see an evil Moff or non force using character. The fact is, the info we get are effectively spoilers. We don't know when Kanan will reveal he was a Jedi. If it was at the end of the first season, and we had none of this info people might be put off with the lack of Jedi.
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#43 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

I'm happy to wait and see before I judge this series.

• jburgos, Raistlinrox and kaosoe like this

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#44 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

There is still a chance we will see an evil Moff or non force using character.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the 'new, improved' Admiral Yularen make an appearance. How neat it would be to compare him with his prior (TCW) self...

Edited by I. J. Thompson, 14 February 2014 - 09:30 AM.

• segara82 and That Blasted Samophlange like this

#45 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

I am of the camp "No Jedi" please.  Won't stop me from watching, but I really wanted to see normal folk with the occasional force user.

I'm glad.  For me it's ultimately what it's all about that.  It's what adds the spiritual element, the moral peril, and (hopefully) gravitas to the story.  Otherwise it really is just cowboys in space, which is fine for a while, but gets old.  I'm not saying all the tales have to have Jedi...several good TCW story arcs put them in the background.

The other reason I'm glad is because it makes the SW universe more open and less monolithic.  We could all watch the OT and ponder:  the galaxy is so vast, surely not all the Jedi were eliminated, but Yoda said this, and Obiwan said that, and the Emperor is so powerful, etc etc...

Well now we know that Yoda missed a few things right up to his end, and the Emperor had his own blind spots, and the more important message is the galaxy is so big with so many different beings that nobody could control all that to the extent implied in the OT.

Mind you, neither of my EotE campaigns has a force user yet, and I'll never get to be a player in this game, so maybe I'm just having withdrawal symptoms :)

• Jegergryte and kaosoe like this

#46 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

The Force is not all-powerful infallible. The OT was nothing more than a snapshot. Neither Yoda or Obi-Wan could know all or be omniscient. Not only that, but when the movies were made no one had any idea it would expand to what it is now. So some retconning will be done. Not all the Jedi were killed. So we will see stories about them. I love the originals as much as anyone else, but I am not so beholden to them that I can not appreciate new stories even when they conflict with some lines from said movies. Waste of energy.
  • kaosoe and jerrypocalypse like this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#47 jerrypocalypse

jerrypocalypse

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

I can't speak on the opinions of others, but for me it's not so much about the fact there are other Jedi that exist in the time period. It's more that I just have an interest in the stories about the fringers, criminals, freedom fighters, etc. I enjoy that aspect of Star Wars just as much as I enjoy all the other aspects. However, the trend (especially lately) tends to be to do stories about Jedi or other Force using characters. Those stories are fine, and I honestly enjoy them. I would just like to see more about the other parts of the universe. That's a big part of why I find EotE so enjoyable and why I'm sure I'll enjoy Rebels.

I may be put off a little by the Inquisitor antagonist, but I have no doubt that the show will be closer to my prefered aspects of Star Wars than a lot of recent material has been. If that means I have to put up with a couple Force using character, I'm willing to tough it out. I'm eager to see where the show goes.

• Dex Vulen likes this

#48 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

The Force and Jedi are to be expected as it is Star Wars. But how much they play a part remains to be seen. I like the concept of a lapsed Jedi who seems to be more of a Han Solo figure at this point. Will he evolve? Probably. Hopefully not too quickly. I want to see him falling back on old blaster habits just as much as he relearns even older Jedi habits. We're only getting bits and pieces right now.

And I like the Inquisitor idea. A lesser version of Darth Vader. Still leaves room for other characters too as he does have command of a Star Destroyer, if I am remembering correctly.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#49 jerrypocalypse

jerrypocalypse

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

I can get behind the idea of a lapsed Jedi that's more of a Han Solo type character. It's one of the reasons why I enjoyed the Dark Times comics and really like the character of Dass Jennir. I'm right there with you hoping he doesn't evolve too quickly. I certainly wouldn't mind if his lightsaber continues gathering dust for a bit while he relies on his other skills he's picked up while hiding from the Empire.

You know, now that you mention that the Inquisitor might be in command of a Star Destroyer, I think it would make for some interesting conflict if the Captain of the ship was at odds with the Inquisitor and was trying to prove him/herself to make the jump to Admiral.

#50 Concise Locket

Concise Locket

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

I appreciate that Rebels is trying to give viewers a rogue samurai/pirate-with-a-heart-of-gold/cool guy protagonist. And I'm okay with him being a washed-out Jedi. After five (soon to be six) years of laser sword duels in The Clone Wars, it would be very tough act to direct a visually dynamic and emotionally personal fight using blasters.

The noble swashbuckler motif is key to a holistic Star Wars experience. Space cowboy truckers and space soldiers are definitely cool but Firefly and Starship Troopers (and about a dozen other recent films) already have those niches locked. SW is one of the few ongoing franchises where you can still get that pulpy Flash Gordon-esque thrill.

• Doc, the Weasel likes this

#51 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

And there is more. http://www.starwarsu...ars-rebels.html
  • whafrog likes this

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

#52 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

Story-wise, sounds great.  I have to admit, I'm not much of a fan of the artistic style, it's a little too Disney/comic book.  I really grew to like TCW, I thought the style was unique.  SWR looks like something I've seen too much of before.

• Jegergryte likes this

#53 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

Yeah, it seems more "standard" than tcw. Oh well.

#54 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

I love the style... especially since it is inspired by McQuarrie.

If you go too realistic with the CG it takes a trip to the uncanny valley.

Not a whole lot new for me, except for the thieving. I guess Ezra steals the ship and holocron and draws the ire of the inquisitor, and gets helped out by the crew of the Ghost.
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#55 Grimmshade

Grimmshade

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

Wow, I like that character preview. A Force Sensitive Thief, forced to be that way due to the Empire, really fits right into EotE!

• Jegergryte likes this

#56 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

Story-wise, sounds great.  I have to admit, I'm not much of a fan of the artistic style, it's a little too Disney/comic book.  I really grew to like TCW, I thought the style was unique.  SWR looks like something I've seen too much of before.

I'm a big fan of the art style on Clone Wars. I liked how everything seemed to have a painted texture, it made it feel very organic in spite of being animated with computers.

Rebels definitely looks different, but I have mad respect for the artists involved so I'm looking forward to it.

• jburgos and Grimmshade like this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#57 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

The animation doesn't really affect me one way or another, except for anime. Not a fan of most of it. Cut my teeth on Heavy Metal and 70s saturday morning cartoons so I probably have a preference for American animation more often than not. From what I've seen so far the new serieslooks good.
  • Inquisitor Tremayne likes this

George Orwell

#58 Dex Vulen

Dex Vulen

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:54 AM

Don't get me wrong. I like the Jedi / Sith stories as much as the next fan, but there are trillions of 'mundanes' that have stories and that is what I was hoping to see more of. The Rebels, the ordinary folk that stood up against the 'all powerful' Empire. The millions that died for the idea of freedom need to have their stories told too. 

Either way, I just wish the dang thing would air, so I can get my nerd on.

• Jegergryte and Raistlinrox like this

Proud Member of the Gand Anti-Defamation League.

#59 Raistlinrox

Raistlinrox

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:03 AM

Bummer...

yeah, same.  In fact, having a force using Sith Inquisitor as a villain seems a bit much.  We don't need another Asaj Ventress or Savage Opress.  Give us a smart and ruthless moff or Imperial Agent or something.

Tarkin may pop in here and there...he did in TCW.  I know at this point he's busy building his Death Star and all that, but he might have a cameo every now and then.  It was cool when he showed up in TCW.

• Jegergryte likes this

#60 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

While I can appreciate that some people would prefer a series more focused on "muggles", I also realize that a majority of fans want or need to see Jedi. And lets face it, Jedi sell. They could probably do a very good series around the "muggles", but I doubt it would be as popular. At the end of the day they want something that will appeal to a broad audience, otherwise the series will, in all likelihood, get pulled. And I'm sure no fans want that.

George Orwell

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS