Star Wars: Rebels

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

Probably the single biggest pieces of information released.  This clears up any ambiguity.  Some Jedi have now officially survived Order 66.

Yoda's conversation with Obi Wan and the whole "there is another" and then telling Luke "there's another skywalker" never made sense and now there is definitely wiggle room there.

I don't think so.  "another hope" doesn't just mean any jedi.   They needed Luke or Leia for this particular thing in order to bring Vader back to the light.  Just any ole jedi wasn't going to cut it.

Unless Obi Wan developed Alzheimers when he became a force ghost he already knew about Leia.

Regardless if Yoda COULD have meant other Jedi or not, Obiwan still would have known about Leia.

Unless the point of the exchange between Obi Wan and Yoda was as simple as Obi Wan didn't consider Leia an alternative and Yoda did, which would make it a terribly mundane conversation, then it seems to me the greater possibility is that Obi Wan thought the only option was Luke and Yoda corrected him otherwise.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#22 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

See my post above to ID the characters.

Ah yes, nice. Any chance you know where the Phantom comes in as well?

From what I read, the phantom is an 'attack shuttle' that docks with the Ghost, so I suspect an sublight fighter/smuggling craft.

Ezra is apparently the Luke type character, while Kanan is the older Luke and Han type rolled together. So, my guess is there is a holocron hidden somewhere on Lothal that Ezra ginds and opens, he gets detained until an inquisitor escapes with the help of the crew of the ghost (who probably already hate the empire, because: alien, alien revololutionaries daughter and former Jedi) and get swept up in protecting Ezra, while Kanan unpacks his lightsaber and realizes it is his destiny to train Ezra, and probably die, leaving Ezra to pick up Kanan's lightsaber. Kanan will probably die fighting the inquisitor protecting the others along with the holocron.

As for the show being about muggles fighting the empire, I think we will see that the first season, until halfway when we 'find out' Kanan is a Jedi , instead of just a gunslinger. Though this reveal could be within the first few episodes, I expect it to be the second story arc.
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#23 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

I doubt that either Obi Wan or Yoda could know for certainty whether or not every single other Jedi throughout the galaxy was killed. It's an ability that no one had before the purge (quite the opposite in many cases), and neither Vader nor the Emperor seem to have it as well.

It's more likely that they both assumed that they were the last, or at least the last that still represented the Order. 

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#24 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

Kanan was a Jedi according to the article and video. He just buried that aspect of himself in light of the Empire. Now he must reaquaint himself with that aspect. And he is a little rusty.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#25 Dex Vulen

Dex Vulen

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Bummer...

I am of the camp "No Jedi" please.  Won't stop me from watching, but I really wanted to see normal folk with the occasional force user.

• segara82, HappyDaze and kaosoe like this

Proud Member of the Gand Anti-Defamation League.

#26 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Yoda's conversation with Obi Wan and the whole "there is another" and then telling Luke "there's another skywalker" never made sense and now there is definitely wiggle room there.

Personally, I always took Yoda's words of "last of the Jedi, will you be" to be less a statement of fact and more a way of telling Luke that he can't pass the buck on confronting Vader and saving the galaxy from the Emperor/Sith.  It's Luke's destiny to save the galaxy, and he's got to step up to the plate rather than hope that somebody else will do the job for him.

Even prior to this announcement, there'd been a number of Jedi survivors of the purge, though most of them had set aside their lightsabers and weren't actively being Jedi at that point.  So what Yoda said was true, from a certain point of view ;)

• Raistlinrox and kaosoe like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#27 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

A certain point of view?!

Couldn't resist.
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#28 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

Bummer...

I am of the camp "No Jedi" please.  Won't stop me from watching, but I really wanted to see normal folk with the occasional force user.

I too would rather not have seen a focal character as a Jedi, even a non-practicing Jedi. An untrained Force Sensitive on the run from an Inquisitor and not knowing why he's being chased would have been OK.

• segara82, Dex Vulen and kaosoe like this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#29 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:24 AM

I suspect that this show will be a shining example of what force and destiny characters will be like.
  • Jegergryte likes this

#30 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:02 AM

I suspect that this show will be a shining example of what force and destiny characters will be like.

Fingers crossed!

I hope so, I mean this Kanan dude could also easily be a variant FSE really - except for the Lightsaber skill issue. I get a feel for EotE when seeing the images, more so than AoR - and who knows about F&D... I hope :)

• kaosoe likes this

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#31 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

Folks this is Disney.  Cheap predictable plots to sell merchandise.

Likely our failed jedi is going to open the episode learn something from his holocron, and later in the finale uses his new trick to save the day, and leave his companions in awe.

Yea I am a pessimist, but i have learned in my old age not to get my hopes up.

• segara82, kaosoe, NicoDavout and 1 other like this

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 9/6/14 'Beyond the Rim: Episode I'

Last Update 9/20/14

#32 NicoDavout

NicoDavout

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

Folks this is Disney.  Cheap predictable plots to sell merchandise.

Likely our failed jedi is going to open the episode learn something from his holocron, and later in the finale uses his new trick to save the day, and leave his companions in awe.

So true..........long live Thrawn! 

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.

#33 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Folks this is Disney. Cheap predictable plots to sell merchandise.

On the first point: this show, much like star wars has always been, is a pulpy action story. I know I'm not expecting Hamlet or the Scottish play, though there are some disney shows that haven dark and elaborate plots - check out the first few seasons of gargoyles (a disney property).

Secondly, how is he a failed Jedi? The character survived the purge, living at least 14 years in hiding, yet still kept his lightsaber.

We haven't seen the show yet, so I am hopeful. The only info I have read states that the character Ezra Bridger learns of his being force sensitive through the holocron. That is it.

I can't change your mind, and I guess my being hopeful will balance out your curmudgeoness. :P

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange, 13 February 2014 - 12:15 PM.

• whafrog, kaosoe and jerrypocalypse like this

#34 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

Everything is cheap predictable plots these days. It is in how you present those cheap predictable plots that seperates you from everyone else. And as noted, Kanan is no more a failed Jedi than Obi Wan would be.
  • That Blasted Samophlange, Doc, the Weasel, Shakespearian_Soldier and 1 other like this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#35 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

Everything is cheap predictable plots these days. It is in how you present those cheap predictable plots that seperates you from everyone else. And as noted, Kanan is no more a failed Jedi than Obi Wan would be.

Wait... referencing Obi-wan, I can't tell which way you're leaning towards the failure thing... I mean look at Anakin and his teacher. :P

#36 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

I'm happy because it's got a Twi'lek in it.

• kaosoe likes this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#37 Crimson Death

Crimson Death

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

I'm happy because it's got a Twi'lek in it.

Twi'lek Dancer?

#38 Grimmshade

Grimmshade

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

I really don't understand the auto-expectation for Disney to disrespect the franchise.

First off, Disney has made the best superhero movies to date with the Avengers/Marvel franchise, and the TV show as well. They also had some of the best television cartoon runs back in the 90's.

Second, Lucas made some of the biggest pieces of crap ever with episodes I, II, III and "Indiana Jones and the Big Piece of Alien Crap", so the bar isn't really set high now anyway.

I'm perfectly happy to see what Disney does with Star Wars.

• Doc, the Weasel, Jegergryte, Raistlinrox and 1 other like this

#39 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:06 AM

As far as this series goes, it's got Greg Weissman (he of Gargoyles, Spectacular Spider-Man, and Young Justice animated series legacy).  If you've watched those shows, you know that he's fully capable of producing a series that isn't cheap or lowbrow; Gargoyles was part of Disney's Afternoon Animation block, and how many cartoons make frequent (and accurate) references to Shakespeare or manage to create a truly connected mythos ("all myths are true, but not all myths are fact" was a line from the series at one point in regards to various mythological beings that Goliath and Elisa encountered during their world tour).

Sadly however, it seems that shows that Greg's involved in rarely make it past two seasons.  Gargoyles had a third season, but he wasn't really involved at that point and many fans consider it not be part of the Gargoyles continuity due to how bad it got.  Spectacular Spider-Man got canned when Disney purchased Marvel Studios, as Sony gave up TV rights to retain the much more lucrative movie rights to the character.  Young Justice got axed to make way for Teen Titans Go (a dumbed-down version of the prior Teen Titans series).  Hopefully Rebels will avert this and last more than two seasons, particularly if it can deliver the level of quality that many of Greg's prior works have demonstrated.

• That Blasted Samophlange, Jegergryte and jerrypocalypse like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#40 Rookhelm

Rookhelm

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

Bummer...

yeah, same.  In fact, having a force using Sith Inquisitor as a villain seems a bit much.  We don't need another Asaj Ventress or Savage Opress.  Give us a smart and ruthless moff or Imperial Agent or something.

• segara82, Raistlinrox, FangGrip and 3 others like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS