Star Wars: Rebels

• Please log in to reply
558 replies to this topic

#541 Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

Except that isn't how every game is run, and there is nothing wrong with it not being how the game is run.

If I say: "This is the style of game I am running from the get go, convince me what you are making fits, play something else, or find another game." isn't being a ****. Its running the game I want to run.

I think too many people operate from groups where they play with the same 4-5 other guys/gals every week, where making sure every player is on the same page for every game is important.

If you play with 9-10 different players, and different ones are in different games, saying "Hey, this is the game I'm running, if you are interested in that kind of game, take a seat" isn't a big deal. Everyone isn't always expected to play in every game. Hell, they couldn't.

Granted, my table is much more like the former, in which I do play with the same small group of friends every time, but even then, GM gets final word in what fits.

Edited by Emperor Norton, 28 August 2014 - 02:59 PM.

• whafrog, knasserII, Maelora and 1 other like this

#542 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

A group from my local area regularly records a Podcast called Fear The Boot that (typically) deals with general issues in roleplaying. They have an episode dedicated to managing expectations and adapting to player styles that sounds very relevant to this conversation. They're also fairly big proponents of the idea of a group template, and making sure that the party as a whole fits together.

While podcast isn't dedicated to any specific system or setting, they tend to deal with a lot of concepts and topics within roleplaying that are applicable just about every game.

• Doc, the Weasel, progressions and kaosoe like this

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

#543 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:29 PM

I picked up a copy of New Dawn from the library this morning - I'm about a hundred pages into it, give or take. Now I don't know if it's a novelization of the first episode/story arc or something all new - it seems to be setting up Hera and Khannnn and their backstory. No sign of the kid, the Wook clone, the Pink Ranger or Chopper yet.

I don't know if the tone carries over to the TV show, but it's kind of dark and adult-ish and not very goofy and the stormtroopers aren't the stumbling boobs that we've see in the shorts. Also, interestingly we get a female Star Destroyer captain. Is Imperial Sexism a thing of the past in the new Disney Canon?

All in all, not bad (so far), not the best Wars book I've read, not the worse - but it gives me hope for the series..

Edited by Desslok, 08 September 2014 - 11:37 PM.

#544 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:30 AM

A New Dawn is set 4-5 years before Rebels. The novel is rather serious in tone, and the Empire is competent but hampered by overly ambitious individuals acting at odds with one another to gain the favor of the a Emperor. Sexism it's not present, and female stormtroopers appear.

• kaosoe and N4n0 like this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#545 Yivrael

Yivrael

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

I liked the book and my kids seem to enjoy it.

#546 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:40 AM

Anyone who has completed it recall if New Dawn has any descriptive details concerning the inner deckplans of the Ghost? (a.i. "She bolted from the galley and flew up the access ladder to the dorsal airlock cursing at Chopper along the way.")  I've just started reading it and have been working on updating a deckplan here. There are some holes I'm trying to fill in.

• ayures likes this

#547 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:00 AM

This novel barely talks about the Ghost at all. It's not going to be any real help as far as making deck plans goes.

• Sturn likes this

#548 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

A group from my local area regularly records a Podcast called Fear The Boot that (typically) deals with general issues in roleplaying. They have an episode dedicated to managing expectations and adapting to player styles that sounds very relevant to this conversation. They're also fairly big proponents of the idea of a group template, and making sure that the party as a whole fits together.

While podcast isn't dedicated to any specific system or setting, they tend to deal with a lot of concepts and topics within roleplaying that are applicable just about every game.

I just wanted to thank you for turning me on to Fear the Boot. The whole style and tone of the podcast suits my play style and interests PERFECTLY.

While in a mass forum such as this there's always a mix of folks who are interested in roleplay and folks who are interested in moving numbers around on a piece of paper so their numbers are better than other people's numbers, and the spectrum in between.

But I really respond to Fear the Boot's focus on story and roleplaying. I wish I'd known about this group years ago!

• kaosoe likes this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#549 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

I just wanted to thank you for turning me on to Fear the Boot. The whole style and tone of the podcast suits my play style and interests PERFECTLY.

While in a mass forum such as this there's always a mix of folks who are interested in roleplay and folks who are interested in moving numbers around on a piece of paper so their numbers are better than other people's numbers, and the spectrum in between.

But I really respond to Fear the Boot's focus on story and roleplaying. I wish I'd known about this group years ago!

I'm glad to hear you've been enjoying them. I actually only recently discovered the podcast a few weeks ago through a business card left at my FLGS. (The Fantasy Shop in Florissant, Missouri.) I too wish I had discovered them before now, but I've enjoyed binge-listening to them at work.

• progressions likes this

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

#550 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:35 PM

I especially like that each episode is generally 30 minutes or so.

I do love Order 66's in-depth discussions at 3 hours+, but it generally takes me 3 days' worth of commutes to listen to one episode. With Fear the Boot, It's generally two episodes per day, and I can finish each episode completely in one sitting.

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#551 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:15 AM

Hi people!

There is a list (official or not) with all the canon products?

Thanks!

Be brave and listen to your heart.

5,935 Profile Views.

#552 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:53 AM

Movies: Episodes 1-6 with 7-9 upcoming.
The Clone Wars
Rebels
A New Dawn

Every new book or show.
  • Josep Maria likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#553 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:06 AM

Every new book or show.

Excepting FFG's RPG books.

• Josep Maria likes this

#554 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:09 AM

Thanks mates :D

So, the exception will be "Legends" now and every book/novel will be canon? I mean, if something will be non-canon they will notify it or just they will but the "Legends" banner?

Thanks again!

5,935 Profile Views.

#555 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:06 AM

Right. Should have used novel instead of book...however, I do think that any star wars comic marvel puts out (excluding reprinted original run) will be canon as well.
  • Josep Maria likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#556 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:36 AM

The Darth Maul comic series that just wrapped up is canon as well.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#557 Josep Maria

Josep Maria

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:23 AM

Those ones with Maul and Talzin? OMG I'll have to get a lot of money if almost everything is canon yet XD

5,935 Profile Views.

#558 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:10 AM

Yes. That series marked the end of Dark Horse's Star Wars run.

• Josep Maria likes this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#559 MrDodger

MrDodger

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:38 AM

The various upcoming Marvel series as well.

• Josep Maria likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS