Star Wars: Rebels

• Please log in to reply
602 replies to this topic

#1 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

So, here we have some more news, about Jedi and stuff.

http://www.starwarsu...s-wrangles.html

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#2 copperbell

copperbell

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for the link is he wearing armour or has a cybernetic arm?

#3 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

They say armor in the interview.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#4 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

Great couldn't they leave the Jedi out of the series since the are mostly dead? :Seriously the focus on Jedi over everything else is what's been ruining the EU, and ruined The Clone Wars for me. Now they are doing a series in a period where there are almost no Jedi and still including a former Jedi as one of the mains. :(

• segara82, Sturn, Internutt and 2 others like this

#5 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

From the sounds of things, it seems like they're hoping to channel a bit of Kyle Katarn from the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series of video games, particularly Dark Forces 2 and Jedi Outcast where Kyle had to set aside the usual tools of the trade (blasters, grenades, and such) and take up the lightsaber and the Force to fulfill his mission/quest.  Also sounds like a bit of Zayne Carrick (from the KOTOR comics) in that Kanan doesn't sound like he's going to be an instant ace with the Force, but rather has to struggle to re-learn skills he's not used in over a decade; Zayne was the lead character that wasn't a prodigy of any sort, and in fact had a lot of trouble using the Force... until the odds were really stacked against him.

And much as folks might not like it, the Jedi are far and away the most iconic character types of the setting, and there are folks that reveled in the Jedi being one of the major points of focus of The Clone Wars.

• awayputurwpn, Josep Maria, Jegergryte and 5 others like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#6 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

It's not unreasonable that this guy could be one of the 'stragglers', and he's just one of six main characters, not necessarily the lead guy. Plus it's pretty much guaranteed that he's gonna snuff it somewhere down the line, so why not let him have his day in the sun.  :P

I really enjoyed the Clone Wars - with Dave Filoni at the helm, I'm content to sit back and let the entertainment happen.  :)

• awayputurwpn, kaosoe and opsnafu like this

#7 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:44 AM

Sounds like Cade Skywalker without the angst.

• awayputurwpn, kaosoe and opsnafu like this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#8 Chortles

Chortles

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

The above actually sounds like a pretty good summation of the character's appearance and synopsis, considering that the story is set while Luke's still a teenager.

• kaosoe likes this

Well, according to George Lucas, the Empire is intended to be bad guys and the Sith to be objectively evil.

Fans proceeded to immediately disregard his bull and have fun with the Empire and make believable characters left and right, and come up with sensible rationalizations east, west, north and south.

#9 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

One other possibility about Kanan...

He's the Obi-Wan to another member of the group, helping that person discover what it means to be a Jedi and to be able to use the Force.  And by the end of the first season is either killed (making a defiant/heroic final stand against a major villain like the Inquisitor) or otherwise taken out of action, requiring a younger, less jaded novice Jedi to step up to the plate.

Just because the voice actor is somebody relatively famous isn't a guarantee of protection.  Consider Game of Thrones and how heavily Sean Bean's character was promoted during the initial season, while those of us that had read the books merely chuckled at the casting choice (seriously, most of the characters he plays winds up dead by movie's end).

• jburgos and Jegergryte like this

#10 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

In fairness Sean Bean always dies. Always. But I do expect that Kanan will be an Ersatz Obi-wan. I also feel there is a good chance he dies heroicly. I would love if in a lightsaber duel with the inquisitor he pulls out a blaster Ralph Bakshi's Wizards style.
  • Aluminium Falcon likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of EU.

#11 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

Can we please not have a retread of the older Jedi dying and the younger one carrying the torch onward? Why not have him rediscover what it means to be a Jedi, and in the meantime mentor a young person in what it means to use the Force for the good of all? Why does he need to die?
  • Jegergryte, copperbell, GroggyGolem and 2 others like this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#12 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

Because then the rebels will start collecting Jedi. I do seem to recall Luke being the only one.

Let's split the difference the apprentice can either die as well or join the darkside.
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of EU.

#13 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

It's a big galaxy. I'm sure there's room for more than one. And at this point we know that there are more, even if they are lapsed Jedi.
  • jburgos and GranSolo like this

George Orwell

#14 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:46 AM

Well, i am one of those that is not happy about 2 Force users among the main protagonists.

Yes, i know that wizards with laser-wands are a big part of SW, but do we really need an ex-Knight and a Force Sensitive?

I would object less to nothing if one of the main cast discovers during a story arc his/her Force sensitivity and a holocron to teach him/her. But a Jedi that has been hiding for about 15 years to avoid those Inquisitors and Vader?

Way to go to render the last years obsolete and paint a huge 'Kill me!' sign over yourself.

So far they have hunted and killed those other Jedis they found. Which means they are very good at killing Force users.

Now ... how long are we going to take the Empire and his Inquisitor serious as opponents when they cannot do their job?

Sooner or later, someone in the cast is going to die.

And our Jedi-on-the-run is the one with the biggest mark on his head.

If we look at TCW as a reference, just count how many Jedis and Clones die althoug the Separatists are loosing the war due to the heroes ruining their plans time and time again? In this show the cast of expendable characters is even smaller.

• opsnafu likes this

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#15 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:24 AM

I'm sort of camping outside both camps. It could be cool if one is keen on glow stick rave party monks being kick ass (which I'm not), or if going purist and conservative preferring a "true" representation based on some notions derived from what was shown (or wasn't) in the original trilogy (selecting what is preferred from the special edition, dvd release and the bluray release), it can be serious crap with Jedi and forcies jumping about... but to make that judgement before we've seen anything is pretty dumb I think. Of course, once a decision is made it often becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and one will prove oneself right, whatever the outcome.

I think Kanan sounds like a cool character, and Chopper too. It'll be childish and recycled, but it'll be Star Wars and if Filoni continues his good work, this will be as entertaining as the Clone Wars, just give it a season or two (the first season of TCW wasn't that great... remember?).

Edited by Jegergryte, 14 February 2014 - 05:20 AM.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#16 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:16 AM

Can we please not have a retread of the older Jedi dying and the younger one carrying the torch onward? Why not have him rediscover what it means to be a Jedi, and in the meantime mentor a young person in what it means to use the Force for the good of all? Why does he need to die?

Actually, it's a common element of Japanese stories, with the older mentor character having to pass the torch to the younger student.  It also has to do with their view of what a hero is.  To their view, Han Solo isn't a really a hero in the Original Trilogy because he didn't have to work and grow to be awesome; when we met Han, he was already an expert pilot, handy in a fight, and had a cool ship.  Luke on the other hand had none of that; his piloting skills were raw talent (backed by the Force), didn't have much experience with combat, and was a farm boy that had just lost everything he'd ever known, and by RotJ had become a powerful and cunning warrior; as such, he's the true hero of the Original Trilogy, having gone through numerous ups and downs over the course of the three films before achieving victory (though it was a bittersweet one given that while he did manage to redeem his father, Anakin died soon after).

Depending on how it's handled in the series, it could be a very compelling aspect to the character of Kanan, perhaps as an affirmation of what being a Jedi means, both to himself in his final moments and to the younger character whom he's been serving as a mentor to.  To pull a line from Gurren Lagaan, "the hero of today makes way for the hero of tomorrow, just as the hero of tomorrow makes way for the hero of today."  Thus one of the major complaints of the post-RotJ novel series, in that the Heroes of Yavin never really passed the torch to the next generation (Jaina and Ben at this point are the only ones left).

• Andrew_Grim likes this

#17 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

"You know what's better than a hero?"

"A dead hero."

• opsnafu likes this

George Orwell

#18 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

"You know what's better than a hero?"

"A dead hero."

Dear Mouthy -

If you persist on reminding me of that terrible new Robocop movie, I shall be forced to develop new technology that will allow a person to be punched in the throat over the internet. . . .

• Magnus Grendel, That Blasted Samophlange, Shakespearian_Soldier and 3 others like this

#19 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

Really, i thought it was a rather good reboot. And since i have the original one in my DVD-collection (and watched several times) i better not point out the weak points of the old one.

Although i miss the baby food running gag.

And could we please not use Samuel L Jackson in about every movie? I am really tired and bored of his face, voice and attitude.

• NicoJMont likes this

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#20 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

Meh. As a movie it was fun enough. Love the original, warts and all. Still a classic. The big thing this new movie will sufferbfrom isbbeing compared to the original.

George Orwell

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS