Photo

Ancient One zerored out my combat and ends game?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sonorousgiraffe

sonorousgiraffe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

Hello all - For the life of me, I couldn't find the search box for the forum, so I apologize if this is a repeat or constantly asked question.

After playing Elder Signs board game, I thought I would give AH a go.

I read through the manual and got through the game, to the point where the doom track had filled.  

Since this was my first run through and I was playing solo, the Ancient One I chose was Yurig (? - at work so I can't remember the name exactly).   

I started the final battle.  My investigator was the doctor and I had his Fight skill at max which is 3.   Well when I checked the AO's modifier, it was -3.  

Does this means I automatically failed the combat check, effectively ending the game?  Or am I doing something wrong?  After playing for a couple of hours, I was kind of bummed that it just ended like that.

Thanks!

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

That means you get zero dice during the combat check, provided you don't have any weapons. You can spend clues to add dice but that's not going to be enough to kill Yig when you have no dice foundation.

The reason you're bummed is that final combats aren't all that fun, and 1-investigator games nearly guarantee a final combat ending. Next time try two or three investigators. Three is better but I can see it being a bit complex for an early gamer.

#3 sonorousgiraffe

sonorousgiraffe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

Ah, okay, thanks for clarifying.  Getting no dice is what I assumed, so I was like "how do you defeat it?"

I've used multiple investigators when playing Elder Signs solo, so I'll try that with AH.

Thanks again for the help.

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

Just remember, Combat check are a subset of Fight checks. Vincent (the doctor) could have 3 Fight at max, but in FB (and whenever actually fighting a monster) you use Combat. So, Vincent with a Tommy Gun hac a Combat of +9, so with an AO modifier of -3, it means he can actually roll 6 dice.

(not so sure this could help, but in case you're playing the French edition of the game, remember they translated both Fight and Combat in the same way, and this can create huge issues)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:30 AM

Just remember, Combat check are a subset of Fight checks. Vincent (the doctor) could have 3 Fight at max, but in FB (and whenever actually fighting a monster) you use Combat. So, Vincent with a Tommy Gun hac a Combat of +9, so with an AO modifier of -3, it means he can actually roll 6 dice.

(not so sure this could help, but in case you're playing the French edition of the game, remember they translated both Fight and Combat in the same way, and this can create huge issues)

Really? So the italian edition in comparison is actually good for once? Now I feel a little better :D

#6 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:00 AM

Yes, they did such a chaos that Nyarlathotep would be pleased :D

I remember a friend of mine who started collecting all the issues due to the original translation in order to work on a *revised* edition, but I honestly don't know whether the project was ever completed / finalized into production.

But they do have a translated edition of the revised Pharaoh, so that actually maybe they are still a step ahead considering this expansion will never be printed in Italian...

• Tox likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#7 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

...and I can't find a single translation into Lithuanian! :P

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS