Owned. Help?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 cody campbell

cody campbell

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

I did a similar set up with my GF and I lost as well.  I got spanked, losing all my ships and only doing light damage to her shields.  My biggest problem was using my upgrades...I was always getting into positions where I couldn't use the HLC (because I moved too quickly) or being forced out of formations by asteroids, etc. 

The dice lords also frowned upon be that day, but I had failed to plan for my upgrades/abilities. 

I would try HLC+Merc Co-Pilot, then try to hang back and use the HLC as often as possible.  Also, choose a target and stick with it.  I would focus on the falcon unless you get a great opportunity to blast one of her homies. 

#22 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

I guess I should add my voice to the side saying 'Her winning twice is not a problem, it's awesome' category. After all, it's frustrating to always lose, but that applies to her as well. She earned her victories. Send her onto the forums, since I have some advice for her about how to crush you further. ;)

Still, you two should be having fun. We need more female players and that's hard if we view losing to them as a flaw instead of how the game is played. I'm not saying you are doing that intentionally or consciously. The problem is the phrasing you used makes it seem that way, and that can propogate those views in others, even if you don't really hold them yourself.

Be happy she won, vow to fight harder next time, and if you get defeated (or crushed) you should laud her for her victory. That's something that makes a competitive game like this a good thing in a long term relationship. :)

• Hoosteen likes this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#23 Hoosteen

Hoosteen

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

Still, you two should be having fun. We need more female players and that's hard if we view losing to them as a flaw instead of how the game is played. I'm not saying you are doing that intentionally or consciously. The problem is the phrasing you used makes it seem that way, and that can propogate those views in others, even if you don't really hold them yourself.

Be happy she won, vow to fight harder next time, and if you get defeated (or crushed) you should laud her for her victory. That's something that makes a competitive game like this a good thing in a long term relationship. :)

I think I should probably clarify a few things. Thanks for mentioning this.  :o

I was pretty thrilled with the first game I mentioned. It was a REALLY great game ("I-Obviously-Don't-Have-Any-Idea-How-To-Use-The-Gunner-Card" not withstanding).

Part of the reason I had so much fun was BECAUSE she beat me. Being able to fly with her is a lot of fun. 

The problem I have is ME. When I fail cause of my own stupid, I can't help but be irritated at myself. 

I made the original post asking for help keeping myself from failing so hard, not so that I could beat my wife. 

I also made the original post so that she could get some tips too...

My secret hope is that she will become as obsessed with this game as I am, and want a bazillion rebel ships, and make her own account and shtuff. I got really excited when she came up to me today, saying, "Oh there were some funny things in that post... and I have a few new ideas to beat you now."  ^_^ 

Thanks for responding guys. 

• DraconPyrothayan, SableGryphon and IvlerIin like this

#24 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

I think I should probably clarify a few things. Thanks for mentioning this.  :o

I was pretty thrilled with the first game I mentioned. It was a REALLY great game ("I-Obviously-Don't-Have-Any-Idea-How-To-Use-The-Gunner-Card" not withstanding).

Part of the reason I had so much fun was BECAUSE she beat me. Being able to fly with her is a lot of fun. 

The problem I have is ME. When I fail cause of my own stupid, I can't help but be irritated at myself. 

I made the original post asking for help keeping myself from failing so hard, not so that I could beat my wife. 

I also made the original post so that she could get some tips too...

My secret hope is that she will become as obsessed with this game as I am, and want a bazillion rebel ships, and make her own account and shtuff. I got really excited when she came up to me today, saying, "Oh there were some funny things in that post... and I have a few new ideas to beat you now."  ^_^ 

Thanks for responding guys. 

I'm glad to hear it. Honestly, my concern wasn't for you but for others reading it. :) It sounds like you are both having a great time and that's wonderful. Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh in my response. Sometimes it's hard to get nuance across the printed word.

I look forward to hearing more about the great civil war between you two. We'll try to help give you both ideas for how to make your games better.

• Hoosteen likes this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#25 jedi moose

jedi moose

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Something i would suggest in the "let your wife win" category is that the best way to let an opponent win without both of you feeling like you let them win is to use a squad that is new to you and that may not be the most effective. If you've been dominating her game after game using the tactics you know will win, she (any opponent) is gonna get sick of it. So don't purposely throw a game, but try builds that may not be the best but could still be fun to fly. Try a bomber loaded up with odnance, or a swarm of A-wings. Try to learn to use the Hwk effectively. Fels Wrath anyone? You will probably lose some of those games but it will give you more overall experience, it will add variety to your game, and it will give your wife the joy of victory more often. And we all want our wives to be happy

#26 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Unless your wife is a Wookiee and will tear off your arms when she loses.

In which case, do what you gotta do.

#27 jedi moose

jedi moose

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

If your wife is a wookie you have problems other than letting her win at this game... ;)

#28 wackydave

wackydave

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

well if he is the "EVIL EMPIRE" and she IS a WOOKIE??? then she shouldn't have time playing silly games ;)  She Should be HARD at work building him his very own DEATH STAR!!! LMAO!!!! enjoy the game and as a fellow lover of the game and a person who loses more than he would like to I experiment around with different builds i rarely use the same build twice However that might change soon. As I plan on still plan on playing around but have a squad or two just for tourneys. and practice them alot. so that Maybe just maybe i can win a tourney or two lol. 

#29 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

To the OP's wife: Howlrunner is a woman, and probably the best pilot the Empire has to offer. Fly on, girl.

#30 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

To the OP's wife: Howlrunner is a woman, and probably the best pilot the Empire has to offer. Fly on, girl.

The other current female pilots:

Kath Scarlet: Ruthless Pirate Captain

Jan Ors: Alliance Intel Officer and Secret Agent

Ibtisam: Ace Fighter Pilot and Rogue Squadron Member (Only non-human female so far)

#31 wackydave

wackydave

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

I know this is all EU and out of the time line but........Don't forget Jaina Solo now back to the empire era how about MARA JADE? she is a fighter pilot also... :rolleyes: just sayin lmao.

#32 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

I know this is all EU and out of the time line but........Don't forget Jaina Solo now back to the empire era how about MARA JADE? she is a fighter pilot also... :rolleyes: just sayin lmao.

I was just covering the female pilots in the game, not in the Universe. :)

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

#33 wackydave

wackydave

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

Ok well I do believe Mara should be in the game...... :D she after all is the Emporer's Hand would love to see her in a wave 5 ship.

#34 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

Ok well I do believe Mara should be in the game...... :D she after all is the Emporer's Hand would love to see her in a wave 5 ship.

In the Thrawn campaign, she flew a Z95 Headhunter.

But yeah, we should probably wait for the Jade's Fire/Shadow.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS