Owned. Help?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Hoosteen

Hoosteen

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

So, I only started playing in December, and I've been loving it. Got the core set, picked up a few expansions, and a few more core sets, and look forward to Wave 4 (if I can ever catch up on wave 2-3). 

I've gotten a small group of guys together who love it too, but I primarily play with my wife. She's almost as much of a Star Wars nerd as I am, so it works out pretty well. She is also a pretty good strategist, (Catan is one of her favorite games) but with the exception of two games (one I flew both of my ships off the map, the other I had no idea how to use the Slave I) I've won all our games.

Except for the last two.

Last night we played this:

Her squad
Han Solo

+  Millennium Falcon

+  Determination
Luke Skywalker

+  Determination
Arvel Crynyd

My squad

Boba Fett

+  Slave I (why not?)

+  Heavy Laser Cannons

+  Gunner

+  Expert Handeling

+  Engine upgrade

Howlrunner

+  Determination

Academy Pilot x2

It was a really close game. Came down to Fett and Solo both with 1 hull, range 3, Solo shot first, landed the last hit. Fett had a target lock, and a focus. I felt really good about this game because I didn't do really stupid stuff, and the dice didn't hate me every roll. 

Then, tonight we played again.

Her squad (same)

Han Solo

+  Millennium Falcon

+  Determination

Luke Skywalker

+  Determination

Arvel Crynyd 

My squad

Kath Scarlet

+  Heavy Laser Cannons

+  Gunner

+  Expert Handeling

+  Seismic Charge

Howlrunner

Backstabber

Academy Pilot

Terrible. First shot of the game, Backstabber was dead. (2 regular hits and a direct crit - vs - 1 evade) As he was my main difference from the other build, I kinda ran out of ideas. Things basically went downhill from there; ran into Arvel with Howlrunner, got way too spread out, ran into Luke and didn't do a K-turn, finally ending with me leaving after Kath vs Solo, HLC missing ALL of them, then gunner getting 1 hit. 

My questions for you guys are:

1. What did I do wrong? Bad squad? Just bad luck? I have no problem losing if I don't just play terribly, and the dice stay mediocre. But when I do (what I think is) a good job, then terrible rolls... kinda bums me out. 

2. What are some decent builds (for both Empire and Alliance) with what I have? Most builds I've been seeing require cards/ships that I currently lack. My fleet is in my signature.

Help me, X-Wing forum friends... you're my only hope.

I can't allow the Rebel Scum who I am married to win... or rather I can't let my shame tarnish the name of the Galactic Empire.

**EDIT**

It has come to my attention that this post sounds like I am looking for ways to win, because I lost and I am mad. (after re-reading with that idea in mind... I can see why it looks like that. Jokes/Sarcasm/Dry Humor doesn't always translate to text well.)  :wacko: 

This post was made for two reasons.

1. I was wondering what I was doing wrong. Since the games were pretty similar, I wasn't sure if I made a major fatal mistake between the two that I was unaware of. 

2. I was seeing if there were any decent squads that WE could build given the ships that I have. 

As I state later in this thread, I was really happy that she did beat me the first game. It was an awesome game, really evenly matched, and we had a blast.

My problem with the second game was not that I lost to her, but that I felt that I lost to me. 

Edited by Hoosteen, 12 February 2014 - 03:33 PM.

Galactic Empire: 8x Tie Fighters, 1x Tie Advance, 1x Tie Bomber, 2x Firespray 31,

Rebel Alliance: 4x X-Wings, 1x A-Wing, 1x B-Wing, 1x YT1300,

--Proud Member of the Imperial Navy--

"These aren't the repaints you're looking for..."

#2 IvlerIin

IvlerIin

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

what you currently own doesn't leave for much variation as far as alternate builds go.

i would chalk that loss up on "bad luck" for yourself and "good luck" for your opponent.

btw: by luck I mean dice and those odd "out by millimeters or fractions of an inch" for shooting and maneuvering.

but as you pointed out you're not used to flying Slave-1. could be less on luck and more on poorer maneuvering choices in that case.

• Hoosteen likes this

It's read as "Merlin"... and yes, like Ivlagic...

#3 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

Over on BoardGameGeek in the file section for X-Wing is a list of 100pt squads. It's a great starting point.
  • Hoosteen likes this

#4 Hoosteen

Hoosteen

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

...but as you pointed out you're not used to flying Slave-1. could be less on luck and more on poorer maneuvering choices in that case.

Funny thing, is that I didn't run the Slave I into anything the entire time... It was my Ties that got mixed up. And I've had them the longest. :P

After my first game with the Firespray, I made a point to practice a bit with the thing.

• IvlerIin likes this

Galactic Empire: 8x Tie Fighters, 1x Tie Advance, 1x Tie Bomber, 2x Firespray 31,

#5 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

With the Rebels, I'd suggest:

Fleet 1
Han Solo

+ Gunner

+ Marksmanship

+ Chewbacca

Rookie Pilot

Rookie Pilot

Fleet 2

Luke Skywalker

+ R2-D2

+ Draw Their Fire

Biggs Darklighter

Rookie Pilot

Rookie Pilot

With the Empire, you have substantially more options.

Fleet 1

Howlrunner

+ Stealth Device

+ Push the Limit

Backstabber

Academy Pilot

Academy Pilot

Academy Pilot

Academy Pilot

Academy Pilot

Fleet 2

Kath Scarlet

+ Gunner

+ Expert Handling

Howlrunner

+ Determination

Academy Pilot

Academy Pilot

Academy Pilot

• Stelar 7 and Hoosteen like this

#6 Stelar 7

Stelar 7

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

Well you have enough ties for a swarm. Howlrunner plus a smattering of academies. I forget what expansion swarm tactics comes in, but you can use it to get in some early shots. My last swarm put chewie's falcon down in two rounds. Thanks to howl and my swarm tactics I shot first enough.

If your wife keeps the falcon you should be able to hit very consistently.

You can make several good squads with the xwings, I like four academies with a torp each. You can upgrade to fkavor though.

Past that, remember yo focus, it is usually better than evade. Han shooting first will let you use it defensively on the tie he shoots and offensively on the ones he doesn't. Also Howlrunner's needs a stealth device and a friend with draw their fire.
  • Hoosteen likes this
Rebel scum: 5 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 Hawks, 1Falcon, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95 1 Transport.

Imperial cannon fodder: 2 Phantoms, 2 Defenders, 7 Tie Fighters, 7 Interceptors, 3 Bombers, 2 Lambdas, 3 Firesprays, 1 Vader, er Tie Advanced

#7 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:13 PM

Looks like crap luck to me. I know them feels. I tend to lose Howlrunner to a HLC first shot every time I take her, so I know how fickle luck can be :P
I don't think you did anything particularly wrong though, so don't worry too much about it.

• Hoosteen likes this

Rebels: 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 A-Wings, 2 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 5 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors(1 Guard, 2 Saber, 1 Standard), 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 1 Firespray, 1 Lambda

#8 Hoosteen

Hoosteen

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

Fleet 2

Kath Scarlet

+ Gunner

+ Expert Handling

Howlrunner

+ Determination

Academy Pilot

Academy Pilot

Academy Pilot

Woah... maybe I don't understand the Gunner card at all then...

(runs to grab card.)

Gunner

After you perform an attack that does not hit, immediately perform a primary weapon attack. 

You cannot perform another attack this round. 

>.<

For whatever reason... it was my understanding that you had to shoot with a secondary weapon first, then the gunner would come into play.

Just for clarification, this means that the ship with Gunner equipped cannot fire again this round, not any ship, correct? This card basically means you get to roll a primary attack, providing that the previous attack (either primary or secondary) doesn't land a hit? 

-1 for failed rule reading for me. 

#9 Hoosteen

Hoosteen

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

Past that, remember yo focus, it is usually better than evade. Han shooting first will let you use it defensively on the tie he shoots and offensively on the ones he doesn't. Also Howlrunner's needs a stealth device and a friend with draw their fire.

This is where the Force apparently hates me. I almost always use a focus, and she almost always uses an evade... But I consistently roll blanks/evades instead of eyeballs. Herp derp. :P 

#10 Stelar 7

Stelar 7

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

Luck is nothing if not fickle.
Rebel scum: 5 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 Hawks, 1Falcon, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95 1 Transport.

Imperial cannon fodder: 2 Phantoms, 2 Defenders, 7 Tie Fighters, 7 Interceptors, 3 Bombers, 2 Lambdas, 3 Firesprays, 1 Vader, er Tie Advanced

#11 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

Fleet 2

Kath Scarlet

+ Gunner

+ Expert Handling

Howlrunner

+ Determination

Academy Pilot

Academy Pilot

Academy Pilot

Woah... maybe I don't understand the Gunner card at all then...

(runs to grab card.)

Gunner

After you perform an attack that does not hit, immediately perform a primary weapon attack. 

You cannot perform another attack this round. 

>.<

For whatever reason... it was my understanding that you had to shoot with a secondary weapon first, then the gunner would come into play.

Just for clarification, this means that the ship with Gunner equipped cannot fire again this round, not any ship, correct? This card basically means you get to roll a primary attack, providing that the previous attack (either primary or secondary) doesn't land a hit? 

-1 for failed rule reading for me. 

Gunner 101

If your attack deals 0 damage (that is, all of your Hits and Crits got canceled by Evasion dice / tokens), you may roll a 2nd attack.

You cannot attack (With this ship) a 3rd time this turn (to prevent a Falcon with 2x Gunners from just attacking indefinitely, or from getting 4 attacks from Gunner + Cluster Missiles).

You can still attack with your other ships as normal. As far as upgrades are concerned, "You" always refers to the pilot with the upgrade.

Further elucidation:

The first Rebel fleet I suggested uses this to great effect. Han Solo's ability gives you free re-rolls on BOTH attacks. Marksmanship will let you alter your eyeballs to hits in BOTH attacks. (Remember that you only get 1 attack if you deal damage with the first one.)

The second Rebel fleet is a 4 ship variant of one of the oldest combo-fleets in the game. Luke + R2-D2 is one of the most survivable ship-builds in the entire game. Draw Their Fire + R2-D2 means that the crit you intercept will hit your shields, which will then regenerate next turn, preventing the damage almost entirely. Make sure that Biggs only takes SOME of the attacks each turn, and you'll have great success.

In the Kath Scarlet fleet, the Expert Handling is there to let her do MONSTROUS large-base Barrel Rolls. The whole "You may remove a target lock" thing is just a little something extra on top.

In BOTH Empire Fleets, Howlrunner is a HUGE asset. She gives out the better half of a Target Lock to everyone in range, for free. As such, the majority of her damage is performed through other ships, so she should keep her Actions on the defensive side. If she's going to be running 3 agility dice, Evade will dodge more damage. If she's running 5 or more, Focus will dodge more damage. At 4 it's technically tied, but Evade has greater outliers in the average, so I prefer to Focus at 4.

#12 GrandMoffMatt

GrandMoffMatt

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:38 PM

I'll be honest.  The results of dice roles are the one thing you can never plan for in this, and really any other minis game.  Sounds like that's what happened to you.  Hell, it has happened to all of us on this board.  Experiment around with more set ups too.  Sometimes variance has its own special result.

#13 SierraKiloBravo

SierraKiloBravo

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

It's not wise to upset a Wife.

But sir, no one worries about upsetting a husband?

That's 'cause husbands don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wives are known to do that.

I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, Hoosteen. Let the Wife win.
  • Magnus Grendel, SteveSpikes, Gullwind and 11 others like this

#14 Hoosteen

Hoosteen

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

It's not wise to upset a Wife.But sir, no one worries about upsetting a husband?That's 'cause husbands don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wives are known to do that.I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, Hoosteen. Let the Wife win.

I cannot like this enough. :D

In BOTH Empire Fleets, Howlrunner is a HUGE asset. She gives out the better half of a Target Lock to everyone in range, for free. As such, the majority of her damage is performed through other ships, so she should keep her Actions on the defensive side. If she's going to be running 3 agility dice, Evade will dodge more damage. If she's running 5 or more, Focus will dodge more damage. At 4 it's technically tied, but Evade has greater outliers in the average, so I prefer to Focus at 4.

Weird... The thought never really occurred to me to use her as strictly a support ship... Keeping here more on the defense, instead of throwing her in with the rest of the rabble.
Also, thank you for clarifying the Gunner card!
  • DraconPyrothayan likes this

#15 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:19 AM

Yeah, Howlrunner is very much a support ship. Your primary goal is to keep her alive and in 'accuracy buff' range of as many TIEs as possible. Evade is the action of choice (or focus retained for defence) - if she gets to shoot, great, but don't worry if she doesn't....

Keep her behind the line of academy pilots - so she's at range 3 when they're at 2, or she's at 2 when they're at 1.

If you have a Slave 1 expansion, you have access to two Stealth Devices, which is a godsent card for elite TIE pilots.

I had a try with a bounty hunter squad and can definitely support Gunner. It's quite the awesome card compared to heavy laser cannons - not least because it works (a) at Range 1 and (b) out of your rear weapons arc. Also, it's a nasty pairing with Kath. Heavy Lasers rarely if ever inflict criticals - which is a shame for Kath - but theoretically gunner can put multiple stress-inducing attacks down on a target per turn. Pair with Marksmanship for extra shenanigans - marksmanship affects both attacks (unlike a focus token, which you can only spend once), and results in an extra critical, making it more likely to trigger Kath's special rule.

#16 Mertaal

Mertaal

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

My best advice to all war gamers (including and especially myself) is to learn to enjoy bad dice. Sometimes the odds kicking your ass can be really funny, and explaining what those idiotic dice rolls represent (Luke and Wedge clearly went on a bender the night before THIS battle, etc) can also be quite fun. 

I hate it when my genius (or so I like to think) tactics are messed up by "against the odds" dice. But it's all part of the game. Learn to love it. 

• Stelar 7 and Hoosteen like this

#17 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:48 AM

Yep. I remember the time my opponent one-shotted my Tur Phennir TIE Interceptor through an asteroid in an Rookie Pilot X-wing at range-3. I rolled five blank dice and he rolled all hits.

I told him he needed to promote that guy as soon as they get back to base.

Then I promptly handed his butt to him on a black-and-blue-gray platter.

Rebel Alliance: 7 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90

Galactic Empire: 6 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers

"Main characters defeat a Star Trek villain? Give 'em a Star Wars celebration!"

#18 negative9

negative9

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:23 AM

ok man.  there are just 2 things I don't like about your squad.

1.  heavy laser cannon plus gunner.

--I feel that you hit a lot with the HLC, so gunner never comes into play, and is a waste of points.

2.  you have howlrunner, but 1 academy, and backstabber.

---fett uses HLC, so he gets no re-rolls.  backstabber often wants to be out of formation, so doesn't get to use howl.

If you dropped HLC, and backstabber down to an academy.  I think you could add in one more tie.

and the best part is fett could use howls ability, and then use it again on the gunners shot if he needs it.

so just kind of thinking about your squads synergy is what I am talking about.  Have fun.

#19 LukesFather

LukesFather

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

if your running the empire, you need more ships I feel, cuz as you saw, half your fleet could get one shotted out of the game on the early moves.  there is always space to get in another academy pilot.

Rebels -  3 A wing - 5 B wing - 2 E wing - 2 HWK - - 5 Xwing - 2 YT-1300 - 2 Y wing - 3 Z95
Imperials - 6 Tie/F - 1 Adv/T - 2 Firespray - 3 Tie/I - 1 Aces - 2 Lambda - 3 TIE/B - 2 Tie/P - 2 Tie/D

EPIC - GR-75

Custom - 1 YV-545 (yt1300 conversion)

#20 Darthfish

Darthfish

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

You did say that you win most of the time right? You want your wife to play, right? Then just be glad that she won a couple. I cannot get my wife to play games like this at all. I reapeat as above, let the wookie/wife win. Now, I have a pretty successful Firespray setup with gunner, expert handling, and a bomb. Use that barrel roll and high PS to get in there and tear them up. A block of 3 or 4 Academy ties backed up by howl is very potent. Run them in a T formation with howl in the back with stealth. I also like bringing Backstabber, holding him back, then flying him down the edge and bringing him in. Honestly is mostly for psychological effect, but you cannot ignore him either. A mini swarm with howl is really rough on anything. Watch out for an assault missle though.
  • DraconPyrothayan likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS