Photo

Combat question, threat during npc attacking?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Atraangelis

Atraangelis

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

Hello,
What happens when a GM's npc rolls uncancelled threat..? Does the gm ignore it or does it get applied to the npc, possibly causing stress wounds?

#2 Grimmshade

Grimmshade

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

Anything you want really. He can give the PC's a Boost, or he can get a Setback to his next action, or something fun and narrative can happen to him. The same as PC's.

#3 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

Also, the players have the prerogative to determine what's done with an NPC's threat, just like how the GM can determine what happens when the players roll threat.

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#4 Ahrimon

Ahrimon

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:10 AM

Also, the players have the prerogative to determine what's done with an NPC's threat, just like how the GM can determine what happens when the players roll threat.

Is that in the book somewhere? I brought that idea up to my GM but he decided not to go with it.

#5 Grimmshade

Grimmshade

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:26 AM

Progressions makes a good point. It's mentioned on p.205 under Step 5, first paragraph. It's listed as an "option" but a GM really should allow it, as it adds greatly to the narrative style of the game.

• Col. Orange likes this

#6 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:42 AM

Is that in the book somewhere? I brought that idea up to my GM but he decided not to go with it.

Ouch.  It really is you vs. the Universe, isn't it?  If the NPCs didn't stumble and blunder with at least the same frequency as PCs, I'd think something was wrong.

What's written above is meant with love

#7 Dex Vulen

Dex Vulen

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:38 AM

Our GM happily asks what we want to do with threat and despairs that he rolls.  It really is a lot of fun for the narrative.  We keep it civil and as long as it fits the narrative, he really doesn't care what we do.  See, we all get together to tell a story.

• progressions and Desslok like this

Proud Member of the Gand Anti-Defamation League.

#8 Ahrimon

Ahrimon

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:23 AM

Ouch.  It really is you vs. the Universe, isn't it?  If the NPCs didn't stumble and blunder with at least the same frequency as PCs, I'd think something was wrong.

Please don't misunderstand.  He rolls in the open and threat/despair apply.  I was referring to letting the players narrate the NPC's threats rather than the GM narrating them.  I had made that suggestion once off the top of my head.  If there's something in the book that talks about it, that would be cool.

• Col. Orange likes this

#9 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:35 AM

Please don't misunderstand.  He rolls in the open and threat/despair apply.  I was referring to letting the players narrate the NPC's threats rather than the GM narrating them.  I had made that suggestion once off the top of my head.  If there's something in the book that talks about it, that would be cool.

Sorry, wasn't trying to paint your GM as the bad guy.  I misinterpreted what you were saying.

What's written above is meant with love

#10 polyheadronman

polyheadronman

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

One of the things I like best about this system is how it is a collaborative story building experience.  I lay my screen down, roll everything in the open, and am happy to let my group brainstorm on results.  Thus, all threats, etc. are subject to the table.

I was at one point building my own PCs so that I could get in on the action, but I realized that I didn't need to.  I felt just as much a part of the party without one.  This game really tries to break down the GM vs. party mindset.  Perhaps you could offer that perspective to your GM.  He/she obviously has the right to veto these decisions if it affects the plot in a weird way.

• progressions likes this

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

#11 Rookhelm

Rookhelm

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

As GM, rather than giving my NPC stress wounds, I would just grant the next PC boost die.  Something like, "the enemy has exposed himself (lol) a little too much from behind cover, here's your chance to take a shot", and give them a blue die.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS