custom/new design starships

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

Anyone use custom starships for players? I mean small stuff, like light freighters. The sort of stuff that the PCs would reasonably have access to. And I don't mean modifying a YT-1300, but creating a new ship class. When I've done this in the past, it's been with the understanding that the design is not unique, but is mass-market and available to all. I've been drawing pictures and looking for an excuse to share. I'm just hesitant to post pics in places they wouldn't be appreciated.

• Crimson Death likes this

6x X-Wing, 4x Y-Wing, 4x A-Wing, 4x B-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1x Firespray, 10x TIE/Line, 4x TIE/Interceptor, 2x TIE/Bomber, 2x TIE/Advance, 1x Lambda (all official FFG minis)

Plus whatever custom minis I feel like printing on my personal high resolution 3D printer.

#2 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

http://www.infinity-...moodshot_02.jpg

ship I gave to my guys.

• Jegergryte likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#3 crax1332

crax1332

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

Did you make a deckplan?

#4 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

Finished the top view. Working on the rest of the orthos as well as the deck plan. Very basic deck plan is almost finished. I won't ever get as polished as the superwhammadine stuff that the pros put out, but I hope to achieve SWDA quality (which itself is very nice quality).

6x X-Wing, 4x Y-Wing, 4x A-Wing, 4x B-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1x Firespray, 10x TIE/Line, 4x TIE/Interceptor, 2x TIE/Bomber, 2x TIE/Advance, 1x Lambda (all official FFG minis)

Plus whatever custom minis I feel like printing on my personal high resolution 3D printer.

#5 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

Nah, not necessary to us.  They don't have much interest in the ship portion of the game anyway nor do I really.  We may dip our toes in the ship combat water eventually but I really don't GM from a ship-centric perspective.  That'll be to just try out the ship combat in a ship.  When it comes to vehicle combat I think for my part it's going to be more about speeders and swoop bikes than starships.

#6 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

ship I gave to my guys.

What other ships have you done?

#7 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:11 PM

ship I gave to my guys.

Please don't give me the credit.  I simply scour the internet for ideas.  I found this on one of my image quests.  I was wanting something Star Warsy looking still but different at the same time.  Fell in love with this one, kind of a Caterpillar construction equipment meets the Millennium Falcon look I thought.

#8 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

ship I gave to my guys.

Please don't give me the credit.  I simply scour the internet for ideas.  I found this on one of my image quests.  I was wanting something Star Warsy looking still but different at the same time.  Fell in love with this one, kind of a Caterpillar construction equipment meets the Millennium Falcon look I thought.

Ooopsss... I meant to direct my question to Hombre...

#9 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:36 PM

A couple of YT derivatives. The larger one is YT-1300 size, but a YT-2400 pontoon/command module layout. The smaller one is about 70% that size, based on YT-1760 hull design but also with YT-2400 pontoon. I wrote them up as the YT Design Group's last ditch effort in a losing battle to the VCX (specifically VCX-350) Design Group.

#10 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

A couple of YT derivatives. The larger one is YT-1300 size, but a YT-2400 pontoon/command module layout. The smaller one is about 70% that size, based on YT-1760 hull design but also with YT-2400 pontoon. I wrote them up as the YT Design Group's last ditch effort in a losing battle to the VCX (specifically VCX-350) Design Group.

Could I see them?  I'm genuinely curious.

#11 jerrypocalypse

jerrypocalypse

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

Could I see them?  I'm genuinely curious.

Same here, I'd love to check them out.

#12 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Both ships are done in SWDA M20 scale, or 20 pixels per meter. Both are highly derivative. The first is the larger one, the YT-2700. And that's a sensor pod protruding on the left. Both will undergo a few minor revisions as I work on the deck plans.

YT-2100:

Edited by Hombre, 13 February 2014 - 08:23 PM.

• That Blasted Samophlange and jerrypocalypse like this

#13 jerrypocalypse

jerrypocalypse

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

Awesome, I'm really digging these. Be sure to keep us updated, especially with the deckplans!!

#14 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

Really liking the 2100
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#15 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

Thanks. Hope to have the basic deck plan for the 2700 done today... if I could stop spending time on the forums...

Oh, and the 2700 is unofficially the Aluminum Vulcan.

#16 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

One time I ran a short campaign and let one of the players design the ship, it went fine. Three years later this crazy space western turned up on TV and the ship in that one had a lot of the same design elements...

Edited by Ghostofman, 12 February 2014 - 11:26 AM.

• kaosoe likes this

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#17 Conviction

Conviction

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

Here are the deck plans I have gathered thus far

https://drive.google...WFE&usp=sharing

and the exterior shots

https://drive.google...VHM&usp=sharing

#18 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

I've seen most of those. I like their styling. Some of those designs really aren't feasible, though. That black/grey YT-2400 doesn't have any engines, for example. I'm not going to go through and measure dimensions on every one. For my personal project I'm aiming more towards "realism", which may or may not be a goal for others in needing deck plans for role-playing.

While not official, this is what I'm using for guidelines: 

http://web.archive.o...an/deckplan.htm

It matches my personal experiences from 5 years stationed on a warship.

I should have the basic deck plan done soon.

#19 robmox

robmox

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

Conviction, I think I love you. Thanks!

#20 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

Alright, basic deck plan/layout ready. A few notes... 

I haven't put in any hatches yet, but it should be reasonably obvious where most of them go. Engineering is considered to be locked out except for crew. Galley/lounge/dining pretty much share a common area (but it's 30' x 18'). There's three bulkheads for couches/tables/refrigerator/stove to abut. The captain has his own good-sized stateroom, complete with refresher. 1st Mate/co-pilot gets his own room, but no refresher. Everyone else shares, two to a room (Murphy beds). The main refresher has two full sets of facilities. There's seating for four in the cockpit, eight in the escape pod. The corridors are flat walled/ceiling/floor, not a torus like the the YT-1300. They may look kind of cramped, but they're four feet across. Repulsors, shield generators, HVAC, pumps, etc. are in crawl spaces above/below the main deck.

The purpose of a light freighter is to hall freight. After the engines, as much space as possible is devoted to that purpose. So, no, it's not luxurious. That said, there's 1300 ft^2 of living space (rooms, refreshers, lounge/galley), so it's not that bad. 

As I said, the back story for this is the YT last hurrah before the VCX-350 takes over, which obviously is much more spacious and holds more freight.

Edited by Hombre, 13 February 2014 - 08:24 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS