Repaint question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

Hopefully, I'll have time to do some painting soon.  First, I have to get my Dreadball teams painted, then I want to do some of my X-Wing miniatures.  My question, to those who have shown us some absolutely phenomenal work on here, is this:  what do you do to the minis pre-painting?  do you primer it?  do you scrub off and remove the original paint?, or do you just paint over?

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 5 Z-95 

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender

On Pre-order:2 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-2400, 2 Decimator

#2 Spaceman91

Spaceman91

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

If its miner colour markings then over the top works just fine. If your doing the whole ship primer might be best but I haven't done a whole ship redo yet so don't hold me to the last bit
  • Audio Weasel likes this
I didn't mean for it to get this bad.

#3 onebit

onebit

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

I soak them in Castrol Super Clean for a day or two and then scrub them a couple of times with a tooth brush.

The paint is very thin so this might not be necessary.

Everything you need to know about X-Wing Wave 4San Diego X-Wing

#4 Rob Jedi

Rob Jedi

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

Treat the prepaint as your basecoat and go over the top. It's way less hassle and a lot of preshading and stuff is done for you. What are you planning on repainting?

Rob_Jedi's Miniature Painting Blog   My Repaints   Armored Hull YT-1300   Imperial Transport

Rebels: Ax3  Bx3  Ex1  CRx1  GRx1  Hx2  Xx6  Yx3  YTx3  Zx3

Empire: FSx3  LSx1  TAx2  TBx2  TDx2  TFx7  TIx7  TPx1 

#5 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

I usually just paint right over and then apply a wash and add a few other details. It's fast and effective mthod for pumping out lots of Repaints. Here's an A wing I just did using that method.

http://postimg.org/image/w5okidohn/

#6 LeoHowler

LeoHowler

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with painting right over things. It's given me no difficulty.

• oneway and Audio Weasel like this

~Remember Alderaan~

Alliance Fleet: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, , 3 Z-95's, 2 E-Wings, 1 GR-75

Imperial Navy: 5 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Bomber, 2 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Advance x1, 1 Lambda Class Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31, 1 TIE Defender

Black Sun Private Fleet: Coming soon~

#7 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

Treat the prepaint as your basecoat and go over the top. It's way less hassle and a lot of preshading and stuff is done for you. What are you planning on repainting?

Not sure yet.  Definitely a pair of A-Wings, and at least one each of the larger ships.  I'll definitely keep at least one of each large and 2 of each small stock, but will eventually repaint most of the others.

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 5 Z-95 

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender

On Pre-order:2 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces, 2 YT-2400, 2 Decimator

#8 oneway

oneway

Imperial Bomber Pilot

• Members
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:34 PM

Almost all of mine have been overpaints... I primed my first one, Firespray, for a Kath Scarlet repaint, I only did it for a consistent cover and so I could have even coverage of white for the repaint...

I've seen people try to strip off the base paint and it always seems to be too much effort for too little reward. And some have damaged the model as well, melting parts and losing detail with too harsh chemicals..

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice

181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#9 Crabbok

Crabbok

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

I'm not an expert painter by any means, but I have done several now.  I don't strip them as painting over them seems to work really well.  Here's how I did my last A-Wing:

#10 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

Paint right over.

Old school painter, I mostly use enamels too.

#11 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

I've done both.  The first 2 X wings I did I stripped first.  Since then I've painted over them.  Though I did learn the other day to not try to hand paint a gray base followed by white coat on them by hand.  It seemed that the the gray wasn't covering at all when I watered it down to my normal thickness, but when left thicker, it was too thick.  

So... after an hour or so in brake fluid (yes, this works, at least on X wing, no clue if other minis use other plastics) it was fully stripped of both my paint and the stock paint.  Time to use the airbrush again (but it so cold in the garage!) to get the base coat on properly.

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#12 Rob Jedi

Rob Jedi

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:45 AM

If you want a bit more bite to work on without going a primer coat you could give the ship a light spray of matt varnish then paint over that.

Rob_Jedi's Miniature Painting Blog   My Repaints   Armored Hull YT-1300   Imperial Transport

Rebels: Ax3  Bx3  Ex1  CRx1  GRx1  Hx2  Xx6  Yx3  YTx3  Zx3

Empire: FSx3  LSx1  TAx2  TBx2  TDx2  TFx7  TIx7  TPx1 

#13 Prevailing Winds

Prevailing Winds

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

needs a wash

#14 Spaceman91

Spaceman91

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

needs a wash

You can use my shower if you like. Sorry I saw it just there and it has to be done.
  • oneway and Prevailing Winds like this
I didn't mean for it to get this bad.

#15 Prevailing Winds

Prevailing Winds

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

only if Leia will be there };)

• oneway and Spaceman91 like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS