The Royal Guard Patrol

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 oneway

oneway

• Members
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

I'll be throwing in Lorrir, his banked barrel roll is the best way to get behind an enemy, and the way I dogfight he'll kill rebels.

• Engine25 likes this

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice

181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

#42 Daeglan

Daeglan

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:20 AM

imperial shuttle with emperor on board. 
Karnor jax
3 to 5 royal guard intorcepters. 

Rebel goal to disable the shuttle.

#43 jedi moose

jedi moose

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

So I've been trying to think of a Interceptor build for a the last couple days. I really like the Op's Royal guard squad. I was also considering this:

=======
Squints
=======
100 points

Soontir Fel (33)
TIE Interceptor (27), Push the Limit (3), Stealth Device (3)

Carnor Jax (29)
TIE Interceptor (26), Push the Limit (3)

Avenger Squadron Pilot (20)

Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)

Either way the problem with Squints is the turrets on the other side of the board. I think this is the single biggest factor that has kept them from seeing a lot of use. Blaster and Ion aren't that big of a deal since staying at range 3 as much as possible can help you deal with those. The big one is the YT. I think though that an all Interceptor squad has the raw firepower to be able to deal with a YT in a couple of turns. Then  the squad can split up a bit and try to pick off the rest.

On a side note i was having a pretty lengthy discussion with someone on another thread a few days ago about how a good YT pilot can beat Interceptor's (particularly Fels Wrath) with little problem. I stand by that. Lone interceptor's, or even a pair of them are likely to be dropped by a good YT pilot as their maneuverability is negated by the fact that the YT can shoot them no matter where they are unless you hide them on the other side of the board. And asteroids/ Range 3 will only protect you for so long. But this idea of 4 interceptors may bring enough firepower to take out the YT before it can shoot down all of your squad so it may be a decent list. And Jax's ability may help keep the damage output from the YT in check

Do you all see any other way to deal effectively with the YT when running squints?

Edited by jedi moose, 13 February 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#44 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

I have a report in the Battle Reports section: Interceptors vs Blue Chewie. Sheer Firepower is the only way to deal with a named YT, but it can be done.

The main observation is take out support ships first to reduce overall firepower as the turret will hit you regardless and with 13 HP to chew through, you do not want the full firepower of their squad on you whilst you chew the YT down.
 We Int pilots do not do well in an attrition fight :-)

Edited by Englishpete, 13 February 2014 - 11:17 AM.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#45 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Do you all see any other way to deal effectively with the YT when running squints?

Lock the doors.  And hope they don't have blasters.

More helpful advice from a guy that doesn't run interceptors - close into R1 with all of your ships.  He can only shoot at one of them, while all 4 of yours get to shoot at him.  So you'll do 4 x .75 = 3 extra damage, while he'll do .75 extra damage - assuming that hits get through at all.  16 dice against him is unlikely to take him out in one turn though it's completely possible.  You would be rolling an average of 12 hits, and he'd roll 1.5 evades.  Or if you want to look at average damage, 4F vs. 1 = 2.63 damage x 4 = 10.52 (whadder ya know... only .02 different than doing average hits less average evades).  So if you get a few lucky crits in, it's plausible to kill it in 1 turn.  More likely 2 turns though.  (For those interested, his 4 F attack vs. 3 naked D = 1.91 dmg, so you shouldn't die... plus you could always spend that focus to keep yourself alive, reducing it to 1.23 dmg).

Edit: Or listen to the guy above that actually flys interceptors :)

Edited by Khyros, 13 February 2014 - 11:25 AM.

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#46 jedi moose

jedi moose

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Interesting. So English Pete you would suggest going for the support ships first? I would think doing that means that the YT is shooting your interceptors up turn after turn while you try to deal with the support ships. On the other hand, if you deal with the YT first by concentrated firepower your mobile squints are now free to keep out of the arcs of the support ships and are in much less danger. They are now free to do what they do best. Have you tried it both ways and found one way better than the other?

And math guy thanks for the break down. That was exactly the strategy i was thinking of. Race the 4 interceptors into close range of the YT and try to take him out as quick as possible. And I've been meaning to ask you: Is your signature reflective of your actual rebel fleet? 5 X, 4 A, 4 Y, 4 B, 2 YT, and 2 Hwk? Just curious. It looks really cool and whenever i see it I'm reminded "o that's math guy"

Edited by jedi moose, 13 February 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#47 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

I have tried both ways and can pretty much avoid the support ships until they are down but if I go after the YT, the support ships can be brought to bear on me.

In the report I wrote, the B's were almost unable to shoot whilst they got shot up. The YT was only able to shoot at one ship and it took him 3 Turns to drop Fel. In that time I had the support ships pretty much finished, then I had 3 (2 injured) ships left to focus down the YT.

It's the same with Ion Turret support ships, better to take them before the YT as they will otherwise keep you ioned and the YT can pick you off.

The maneuvers that you can pull with the Int's mean support ship hunting is fairly straight forward. 

It obviously helps being a higher PS as well. In my report we were all PS9 for a while, then PS7, then finally PS4.

Edited by Englishpete, 13 February 2014 - 11:47 AM.

• oneway likes this

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?

#48 jedi moose

jedi moose

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

I have tried both ways and can pretty much avoid the support ships until they are down but if I go after the YT, the support ships can be brought to bear on me.

In the report I wrote, the B's were almost unable to shoot whilst they got shot up. The YT was only able to shoot at one ship and it took him 3 Turns to drop Fel. In that time I had the support ships pretty much finished, then I had 3 (2 injured) ships left to focus down the YT.

It's the same with Ion Turret support ships, better to take them before the YT as they will otherwise keep you ioned and the YT can pick you off.

The maneuvers that you can pull with the Int's mean support ship hunting is fairly straight forward. 

Hmm... Ill have to go read that report. Thanks

#49 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

I'm extremely fond of my 999 interceptor list, which took down a double falcon build the first time I flew it (running the hull upgrade version):

Soontir Fel (27)

-Determination (1)

-Shield Upgrade (4)

-Royal Guard TIE (0)

-Hull Upgrade / Stealth Device (3)

Turr Phennir (25)

-Veteran Instincts (1)

-Shield Upgrade (4)

-Royal Guard TIE (0)

Tetran Cowall (24)

-Veteran Instincts (1)

-Shield Upgrade (4)

-Royal Guard TIE (0)

An alternative would be to use a Hull/Stealth combo on Turr and Tetran to upgrade Determination into PTL on Soontir... I might run it that way next time

Edited by Eruletho, 13 February 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#50 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

And math guy thanks for the break down. That was exactly the strategy i was thinking of. Race the 4 interceptors into close range of the YT and try to take him out as quick as possible. And I've been meaning to ask you: Is your signature reflective of your actual rebel fleet? 5 X, 4 A, 4 Y, 4 B, 2 YT, and 2 Hwk? Just curious. It looks really cool and whenever i see it I'm reminded "o that's math guy"

Yes it is.  I've already developed the E and Z95 design, but I don't know if everything will fit pretty anymore :(  I might have to start changing the color of them like Wedge's kill count on his X wing.  What was it ... black = 1, red = dozen, green = dozen dozen?  I could do it in pairs of 2 :) 

Green X + Black X, Green A, Green Y, Green B, Red YT, Red Hwk, Black + Red E, Green x2 Z-95 =P

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#51 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

@Eruletho.

Hull and Stealth > Shield and PtL on Turr. I like your list.

#52 jedi moose

jedi moose

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

Yes it is.  I've already developed the E and Z95 design, but I don't know if everything will fit pretty anymore :(  I might have to start changing the color of them like Wedge's kill count on his X wing.  What was it ... black = 1, red = dozen, green = dozen dozen?  I could do it in pairs of 2 :)

Green X + Black X, Green A, Green Y, Green B, Red YT, Red Hwk, Black + Red E, Green x2 Z-95 =P

Yeah some sort of code could work. If you continue with putting each of the ships on your signature pretty soon every time you post it will take up a full page of the thread ;)

Edited by jedi moose, 13 February 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#53 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

Yeah some sort of code could work. If you continue with putting each of the ships on your signature pretty soon every time you post it will take up a full page of the thread ;)

I came up with this a week ago or so, and I'm not too sure I like it because of that.  If there was a way to toggle signatures on/off, I'd be much happier with it being rather large.  But there is a 4 line max for sigs, so I'm almost at it already.  I got the idea from someone here that did a similar thing but for imp... I forget who, and haven't seen it in awhile.

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#54 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

I immediately noticed what the vast majority of the ships were, but the long bars (the Falcons) had me guessing for way too long...

@Eruletho.

Hull and Stealth > Shield and PtL on Turr. I like your list.

You mean for PTL on Soontir, right? If I drop Vet Instincts from Turr for PTL, I lose the ability to move them in any order, and for Turr (with Initiative) to boost away from Wedge/Vader/Enemy Soontir/Luke/Ten/etc.

#55 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

Yes Soontir. Sorry

#56 oneway

oneway

• Members
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

Personally, I like PtL on Turr (and Soontir), his ability rocks with it, and once in the dogfight, I am always doing a green maneuver. If you can keep him alive the first engagement, then he should be safe with a barrel roll and boost after he shoots...
  • DraconPyrothayan likes this

"I mean, come on kid, my armor's older than you are.."

Corp. Haig Talin, MK - 472

Armor 18 - Fire - N - Ice

181st Mechanized Armor Assault Div

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS