Wave 4 Ship Costs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 markcsoul

markcsoul

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

Maybe I missed this in the Wave 4 thread, but I don't think the costs of each ship have been discussed too much.

Below is a list of the costs of each pilot for each of the new ships.  Costs in green are confirmed, costs in yellow are highly likely, the rest are my educated guesses so they could be off by a point or two.  Any pilots with an asterick are unique.

Z-95

PS2: 12

PS4: 14

PS6*: 17

PS8*: 19

Tie Phantom

PS3: 25

PS5: 27

PS6*: 29

PS7*: 30

E-Wing

PS1: 27

PS3: 29

PS5*: 32

PS8*: 35

Tie Defender

PS1: 30

PS3: 32

PS6*: 36

PS8*: 38

What's crazy is that right now Ten Numb is the most expensive small ship pilot at 31 points.  But with the new ships it looks like there will be FIVE pilots (including one generic) that will be greater than the cost of him!

• DraconPyrothayan, Imperial Rebel, IvlerIin and 1 other like this

REBEL: 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75

IMPERIAL: 1 Advanced, 1 Bomber, 2 Defenders, 3 Fighters, 3 Interceptors, 1 Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Shuttle

SCUM: TBD

#2 Takeda

Takeda

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

All looks pretty much right on to me. I was guessing the lead ace for the defender would be dang near 40 points. He better come with a kick in the face for that.

#3 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

I had looked into this before. There seems to be an invisible " base cost" for each ship type, plus one point per pilot skill of the pilot, with an occasional premium point or two for powerful uniques

Edited by Engine25, 11 February 2014 - 12:39 PM.

Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

#4 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

It's nice to see some more ships slide into my "3-2" list.

#5 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

I had looked into this before. There seems to be an invisible " base cost" for each ship type, plus one point per pilot skill of the pilot, with an occasional premium point or two for powerful uniques

That is generally correct.  Large ships and Amaze/Terrible dials mess with it a little and truely powerful effects as pilot abilities can as well.

Are we sure on the Phantom's base cost at 25?  A lot of people were saying 27 and a few were saying 29.  I think 25 is more reasonable but just hadn't seen a clearer pic yet. 

#6 Khyros

Khyros

Advocate of A & E Wings Everywhere

• Members
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

While I'm not disagreeing with your points, and I think all the generics are spot on, one thing I'll point out regarding the uniques is that we no longer have the precedent that unique = PS bonus +1 point.  

Biggs, Garven, Luke, Wedge, Dutch, Horton, Arvel, Roark, Kyle, Maarek, Vader, "Fel's Wrath", Lorrir, Kanos, Turr, Carnor, Soontir, Yorr, Jendon, Krassis, Kath and Boba all follow this rule.  But there have been several exceptions

+0 points

Night Beast, Winged Gundark, Backstabber, Dark Curse, Mauler Mithel, Howlrunner (based off of the Obsidian + BSP points, seeing as most seem to think the academy should be 11 points, but was bumped to 12 to avoid a swarm of 9), Cowell, Kagi

+2 points

Tycho, Ibtisam, Jonus

+ 3 points

Ten, Jan

+5 points

Rhymer

If you look at wave 1, they're all +0 to +1 points.  Wave 2 is +1, with one +2.  Wave 3 had 6 that were more than +1, 1 that was +0, and then 3 that were +1... Including the first use of +3 and +5 points... and people still use Ten and Jan.

So, I'm predicting that most will be +2-3 points.  I'm a bit surprised that Ebaht's is only +1, it seems like it should be +2 or more since it affects multiple ships, but I suppose converting a hit to a crit doesn't increase damage that much (though it is worth 3 points as an EPT in marksmanship apparently).

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#7 LeoHowler

LeoHowler

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

We certainly are going to see a lot more list variety with the release of these new ships. Funny how only two new ships per faction completely can change this game, not to mention new pilots for the Interceptors and the X-Wing soon. What I'm genuinely curious about now is if we're going to see a lot more competitive 2 and 3 ship builds due to the high point costs of these new entries.

~Remember Alderaan~

Alliance Fleet: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 4 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, , 3 Z-95's, 2 E-Wings, 1 GR-75

Imperial Navy: 5 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Bomber, 2 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Advance x1, 1 Lambda Class Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31, 1 TIE Defender

Black Sun Private Fleet: Coming soon~

#8 markcsoul

markcsoul

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

Like I said they are educated guesses, I know there's no exact formula for the high end unique pilots.  My guesses are most likely on the low end.  Very good possibility the PS8 Defender could break the 40 point barrier...

REBEL: 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75

IMPERIAL: 1 Advanced, 1 Bomber, 2 Defenders, 3 Fighters, 3 Interceptors, 1 Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Shuttle

SCUM: TBD

#9 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

While not disagreeing with your points, and I think all the generics are spot on, one thing I'll point out regarding the uniques is that we no longer have the precedent that unique = PS bonus +1 point.  

Biggs, Garven, Luke, Wedge, Dutch, Horton, Arvel, Roark, Kyle, Maarek, Vader, "Fel's Wrath", Lorrir, Kanos, Turr, Carnor, Soontir, Yorr, Jendon, Krassis, Kath and Boba all follow this rule.  But there have been several exceptions

+0 points
Night Beast, Winged Gundark, Backstabber, Dark Curse, Mauler Mithel, Howlrunner (based off of the Obsidian + BSP points, seeing as most seem to think the academy should be 11 points, but was bumped to 12 to avoid a swarm of 9), Cowell, Kagi

+2 points
Tycho, Ibtisam, Jonus

+ 3 points
Ten, Jan

+5 points
Rhymer

If you look at wave 1, they're all +0 to +1 points.  Wave 2 is +1, with one +2.  Wave 3 had 6 that were more than +1, 1 that was +0, and then 3 that were +1... Including the first use of +3 and +5 points... and people still use Ten and Jan.
So, I'm predicting that most will be +2-3 points.  I'm a bit surprised that Ebaht's is only +1, it seems like it should be +2 or more since it affects multiple ships, but I suppose converting a hit to a crit doesn't increase damage that much (though it is worth 3 points as an EPT in marksmanship apparently).

I am guessing the point premium on marksmanship has to do with the fact that it also functions similarly to a focus in that it incresses your probability to hit, and works thru the whole round. I would agree that Etahn's ability should cost another point as it is also constant but it does not increase your likelihood to hit. As a buff, you get the most out of it by placing it near a lot of other ships, which costs a lot of points. It is also a new kind of AoE buff that we have not seen before, which may factor into the cost. Then there is the fact that the E wing is already a pricey ship in general with only half as many hits, and it's only six points less than a Bounty Hunter.
Just another stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf-Herder bidding you, Fly Casual.

#10 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

Originally I wasn't excited for E-wings or TIE Defenders specifically because I didn't like the idea of super ships. But really what they do is increase the spread for the total number of ships you could play with. I like the idea that a 2 ship squadron might be viable. The hope, is of course, that they will be viable. They don't have to be super competitive, but as long as the balance is close enough for casual play then I'm cool.
Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#11 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:24 AM

Well, Marksmanship is a focus and not a hit result - so there's more of a damage bump with marksmanship.

This does mean that a proton torpedo, fired with marksmanship at a ship in Etahn's arc could possibly triple crit.

• Engine25 likes this

#12 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:03 AM

Well, Marksmanship is a focus and not a hit result - so there's more of a damage bump with marksmanship.

This does mean that a proton torpedo, fired with marksmanship at a ship in Etahn's arc could possibly triple crit.

I would also try Etahn next to Han+Marksmanship+Gunner+Merc Copilot.  Pending your ability to keep Han at Range 3, on top of how likely Han is to hit every turn, he will consistently be rolling 3 crits.  However, it only leaves 12 points left, so you could give each of them a shield upgrade and Etahn R2D2 or drop a Headhunter for another target.

Edited by Engine25, 12 February 2014 - 08:05 AM.

#13 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

MathWinger

• Members
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

Maybe I missed this in the Wave 4 thread, but I don't think the costs of each ship have been discussed too much.

I started a thread specifically on the TIE Defender, since it currently looks to be overpriced relative to the PS1 TIE Interceptor (which is itself likely already overpriced) - pending of course further reveals about its maneuver dial, and the evade token that is shown in the pack:

http://community.fan...ed/#entry977823

#14 Engine25

Engine25

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

I started a thread specifically on the TIE Defender, since it currently looks to be overpriced relative to the PS1 TIE Interceptor (which is itself likely already overpriced) - pending of course further reveals about its maneuver dial, and the evade token that is shown in the pack:

http://community.fan...ed/#entry977823

I can't see trading 2.5 academies for the PS1 defender being at all justified. It will depend on the pilot abilities of the uniques in the pack.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS