Faith in J.J. - Combining Jendon and Jonus

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gundabad

Gundabad

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

So I am tackling a squad design challenge here. I would really like to combine the abilities of Jendon and Jonus to make an effective 1x Lambda Shuttle and 3x TIE Bomber list.

Here is my base:

Colonel Jendon w/ ST-321 [29]

Captain Jonus [22]

Scimitar Squadron Pilot w/ cluster missiles [20]

That puts me at 91 points.

I really want ST-321 so that I can get both of the Scimitars on target lock before they engage, letting them focus on the turn that I shoot.

I also prefer cluster missiles because Jonus will allow die re-rolls on BOTH of the cluster attacks. The only downside in my mind is the lowered range, but since the focus may be redundant with Jonus's help, the focus may be saved for defense and lower the risk of engaging at close range.

Options for my last 9 points:

Weapons Engineer on Col Jendon [3]

Darth Vader on Col Jendon [3]

Engine Upgrade on Col Jendon [4]

Additional missile on a Scimitar (risky) [4]

Different missile on Capt Jonus (could go concussion for punch, or assault to protect against swarm) [4-5]

Squad Leader on Capt Jonus [2]

Swarm Tactics on Capt Jonus [2]

Upgrade Scimitars to Gammas [2-4]

I would also consider torpedoes or a bomb (especially on Jonus), but I haven't given it enough thought.

So I've got 20 point of potentially good stuff to add in order to make this squad worth trying, but only 9 points to squeeze it in. Help!

Edited by Gundabad, 11 February 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#2 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

I would put an Engine Upgrade and Adv. Sensors on Jendon so he can participate in the fight. I'd also put a Seismic charge on Jonus so he has some value beyond rerolls.

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#3 Rhinoviru3

Rhinoviru3

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

I like Jendon with title and Weapons Engineer, try it out with an engine upgrade too for those cheeky boosts?

Rebels: 4X, 2Y, 2B, 2A, 2Hwk, 2YT, 1GR-75, 2E, 4Z, 1x YT-2400,
(See my Rebels paint thread here!)

Empire: 5x TIE/ln, 3x TIE/sa, 4x TIE/Int, 1x TIE/A, 1x F-31, 1x Lambda, 3x TIE/Pha, 1x TIE/D
(And my Imperial paint thread here!)

#4 Gundabad

Gundabad

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

I definitely need to have a serious flying practice session with the shuttle before I take this list out to play. Giving the shuttle a boost action is the most likely of all the options I have laid out in my OP. Without the boost, he's probably a waste of points after the first 2-3 turns of passing locks off.

Adv Sensors vs Weapons Engineer is a tough call. On one side, the additional flexibility of boosting BEFORE movement is tempting. On the other, 2 locks for the price of 1 action lets me take a focus on the next turn, or be more carefree with red manuevers.

#5 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

This is similar to my main list right now, which uses Jendon and Rhymer, plus a couple of Academy TIEs.

I put Engine Upgrade, Weapons Engineer and ST-321 on Jendon's shuttle. His very first action, he takes two Target Locks on two enemies, and then hands one to Rhymer at the start of the very first combat round. Then his next action, he gets another TL, and hands it to one of the TIE. Sometimes he is able to pass a TL off to the other TIE as well.

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#6 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

Once you get into the fray, your bombers are either going to leave Jendon in the dust (not ever allowing him to pass out target locks again) or hobble themselves to him (completely negating their decent dogfighting ability.) I agree with the above about making Jendon an improved dogfighter with the final 9 points, but I fear what that will mean for your team against swarms. Cluster missiles are supremely ineffective against TIEs, even with Jonus rerolls, so you need some way to break through a TIE's defenses. Buzzsaw shuttle does that. Unfortunately, there are nowhere near enough points to get you all the way there (Gunner + FCS + Engine Upgrade to be able to shoot)

All that being said, here is my suggestion: Gunner (5) and FCS (2) on Jendon, and a Seismic Charge on Jonus. The first two turns see everyone staying right in front of the shuttle, getting their target locks in place. Before the initial engagement, however, distance the TIEs from the shuttle by about a 2-straight maneuver (so that anything engaging the TIEs at r1 should be r3 to Jendon.) Jendon, after completing his initial target locking shenanigans with his title, should rely on being blocked during his 1-straights and using a ton of 0-reds to stay virtually motionless, while using 1-green banks to turn if ever needed. Once he gets past the skirmish, he won't be returning to it any time soon. His job is to annihilate anything trying to kill your bombers. The bombers get their initial target locks and unload their payload at a target of opportunity, then Jonus drops his charge and they K-turn behind the enemy ships. This places your opponent in the position that he has to turn as well to actually fight your bombers, meaning that he won't be trying to go around Jendon. If he DOES decide to target Jendon, then your bombers light up the closest target and Jendon promptly begins running away.

In my personal opinion, Jendon + Title is a lot to be spending to grant a two-missile alpha strike the opportunity to hit. That said, with that requirement in place, the above list is what I would run and how I would run it.

#7 AnsibleTheta

AnsibleTheta

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

Also worth consideration is the new Flechette Torpedo.  If it is actually only 2 points, one on each scimitar bomber would give you a mild range 3 alpha strike to set up your clusters.  Like homing missiles they don't consume their target locks, so you could have both scimitars focus, with Jendon giving them locks by turn 2.  3 dice w/ focus and Jonus reroll, and stressing any non y, non bomber, non large base targets.  You now have locks on stressed targets so you can focus for a cluster attack on turn 3.  They either move predictably to shed the stress or push a white maneuver to try and outfox you losing their action.  Win/Win. 

And that still leaves 5 points for more upgrades.  Engines on shuttle or upgrade to Gammas leaves room for a determination or draw their fire on Jonus. 

#8 cody campbell

cody campbell

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

I wanted to experiment with a similar list.  I've paired Jonus with a Scimitar, but I was thinking instead of pairing a high PS Tie with Swarm tactics to guarantee the bomber shoots fast.  If you stick with your shuttle, you can receive target locks and your bomber can focus. 

On your original list, I would see if you can squeeze in some Concussion missles, so you can fire them at range 3. 

In my personal opinion, Jendon + Title is a lot to be spending to grant a two-missile alpha strike the opportunity to hit.

It is a lot of points to fire two missles.  Once the missles are out, your squad is only going to have average firepower.  I would rather be able to launch a couple volleys, but be able to do it quick.  The long range of concussion missles could reduce the danger to your bombers, or shooting homing missles first can save your TL for a follow up shot.  

I don't have my cards in front of me so some of this might be fuzzy.

#9 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

Well... I got bored and just finished developing a starting lineup and initial maneuvers for this squad... It gets you through the first three rounds, place-able at either the edge of the board or the middle, and gets you about a third of the way up with two target locks on whoever you want and focuses all around.

Set Up: Place one scimitar on the front line just outside of range 1 from the edge, with the edge of the move 2 template against it's side. Set the other scimitar up at the end of the template, also along the front edge. Jonus gets set up so that his front is halfway up the side of the outer scimitar (if against the edge) but at least 2/3 of movement 2 away from the edge, with the edge of a template between him and the scimitar. All TIEs face forward. Set the the range ruler in front of the scimitars, starting on the inner scimitar's inside edge (the one closest to the other two TIEs, and put Jendon down facing the TIEs at the end of range 2 (so he is all in range 3) and with his side against the starting line.

Round 1: Both scimitars go 2 straight, Jonus and Jendon go 1 straight

Round 2: Both scimitars go 1 bank toward the edge, Jonus goes 1 straight, Jendon goes 2 bank toward the TIEs, Jendon passes a TL to a scimitar

Round 3: Both scimitars go 2 bank away from the edge, Jonus goes 3 straight, Jendon goes 2 bank toward the TIEs, Jendon passes a TL to the other scimitar

This leaves you with Jendon nearly touching Jonus and lined up nub to nub, and Jonus nearly touching both Scimitars and between them, all within range 1 of one another. After that, if you set up on an edge, swing your bombers toward the opponent and have Jendon hang back to cover them as I said above; if you set up in the middle, have Jendon stall in the center and the bombers go forward. If you're in the middle, Jendon will probably eat the seismic charge alongside your targets, but 1 damage is naught to the albino space narwhal of targeting.

Yes... I was very bored

Edited by Eruletho, 11 February 2014 - 06:03 PM.

#10 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:31 AM

Id fire Colonel Jendon and ST-321 and go with Omicron

something like...

Captain Jonus + Squad Leader [24]

Omicron + Heavy Laser Cannon + Merc Copilot + Merc Copilot + Engine Upgrade (36)

tight formation early for your alpha strike, then Jonus flies wingman with Omicron for two crits every attack that you score two hits - should be high probability 4 attack dice and 2 rerolls from Jonus.

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber, 12 February 2014 - 01:34 AM.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#11 IvlerIin

IvlerIin

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:27 AM

I highly suggest Equipping your shuttle with a Cannon at the very least. I can't recall it being mentioned as I skimmed over the other posts but Jonus' ability effects All friendly Secondary Weapons within range 1  which means also cannons. not just missiles and torpedoes.

IF you're planning running ST-321 I suggest FCS + Weapons Engineer. That way when your second TL granted from FCS can be any ship on the board.

It's read as "Merlin"... and yes, like Ivlagic...

#12 LegionThree

LegionThree

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:18 AM

Well if I had 9 points left over I would go with the HLC and FCS on Jendon. This allows you to do rerolls when in formation with Jonus and still gives you TL's that you can hand off if you need to.

#13 Gundabad

Gundabad

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for the ideas everyone, and thank to Eruletho for working out some initial moves!

Since having an HLC gets even more use out of Jonus's ability, this is definitely going in, probably with FCS but maybe the seismic charge or Squad Leader on Jonus. I've definitely narrowed the options from my OP, and can test things out now.

I am really tempted by the option of dropping Jendon+ST-321 for an Omicron, as the point differential would allow me to squeeze in an engine upgrade and the advanced sensors, making this a really nimble cannon shuttle, while still getting Jonus help. That still leaves 3 points. Jonus is a big target now, since everyone is feeding off his re-rolls, so he could get a stealth device. Alternatively, since all pilots are lower skill, Squad Leader is more effective, and would leave an additional point. Either roll with 99, or do something like an intelligence agent on the Omicron, since it will be able to boost before movement. However, it's not THAT nimble, so I don't know if peeking at the manuever of a ship in range 2 is going to lead to any grand changes in the shuttle's movement.

Edited by Gundabad, 12 February 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#14 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

My advice based on my experiences with Jendon (with satisfactory results):

I would go with Weapons Engineer, Advanced Sensors and certainly keep the ST-321 but drop the EU and consider either Rebel Captive.

My reasons for the advice: The Advanced Sensors allows you to more efficiently slow play/creep Jendon forward and take actions prior to making the red 2 Turn and thus still have many options.
Engine upgrade is great for trying to get the shuttle turned around if/when you pass your enemy, but I prefer to try avoiding getting in that position and quite often the shuttle doesn't survive til that point of the game if one pushes it forward to soon/fast.
If the points are still available then an Ion cannon might be ok to slow down your opponents. Low agility ships. I say low agility because TIE's and similar 3 Agility ships will (quite) often evade the 3 Ion dice.

But this is all just my opinion. For an example of how I used Jendon in a game please take a look at my Battle Report for "Vader's Fist victory!!" In the Battle Report section ;-)

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#15 Eruletho

Eruletho

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:52 AM

There are two major considerations when dropping Jendon for an Omicron:

1) The scimitars are now going to have a hard time target locking their targets since they have such a low pilot skill

2) Jonus is now hobbled to the shuttle, as to continue recieving the jonus bonus, the shuttle has to be range 1 of Jonus. This also means you can't take advantage of the shuttle's unique 0-stop move

These two points completely change the dynamic of the squad

#16 Gundabad

Gundabad

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

The Advanced Sensors allows you to more efficiently slow play/creep Jendon forward and take actions prior to making the red 2 Turn and thus still have many options.
Engine upgrade is great for trying to get the shuttle turned around if/when you pass your enemy, but I prefer to try avoiding getting in that position and quite often the shuttle doesn't survive til that point of the game if one pushes it forward to soon/fast.
If the points are still available then an Ion cannon might be ok to slow down your opponents. Low agility ships. I say low agility because TIE's and similar 3 Agility ships will (quite) often evade the 3 Ion dice.

OK this is great advice. Don't know how I overthought this, but you are right, the sensors giving you an action BEFORE taking stress can be a big deal in a game, especially when that action is a double-lock to any ships on the board. Letting you go full-stop with less worry makes it easier to never have to pull the U-turn.

In the end, I think this will be what I go with.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS