Who owns the ship?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Crimson Death

Crimson Death

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

We took the Krayt Fang after we killed the previous owner. It's registered under my character's false name due to me being a human, but I don't have any claim to it honestly. We all are equal owners to it.

Did you keep the Wookie furs on the floor?

Nah our wookie flipped **** and killed the owner when he saw that haha. It was pretty epic.

• UHF likes this

#22 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

We took the Krayt Fang after we killed the previous owner. It's registered under my character's false name due to me being a human, but I don't have any claim to it honestly. We all are equal owners to it.

Did you keep the Wookie furs on the floor?

Nah our wookie flipped **** and killed the owner when he saw that haha. It was pretty epic.

He must be really happy that you got to use the floor plan.  Personally, I'd be like moving my mini on top of that spot on the map.  "Yep, just cleaning my shoes.  That's what this run is good for."

#23 Crimson Death

Crimson Death

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

I asked him if they were a relative haha.

#24 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

Bloodtooh,

In regards to your specific situation, I'd say take a page from the source material.

How much did Han Solo (owner and captain of the Millennium Falcon) charge Leia to ferry her away from Hoth?  Or to let Lando fly the Falcon during the second Death Star battle?  In the EU, what rates does Han charge Luke or Leia or Lando to have the Falcon fly them from one point to the next?

Simple answer is: that he doesn't.  He only charged Ben and Luke for the trip to Alderaan in ANH because he needed the money and these two were complete strangers.  At that point, he figured he'd drop them off, get paid, and probably never see them again.  Once he got tied up in the Rebel Alliance, he certainly wasn't charging for his time (apart from getting Alliance techs to help with the occasional repairs and restocking the Falcon's consumables).

In the case of your group, while the Smuggler might own the ship, he really shouldn't be charging fares from the rest of the party, particularly if they are truly working as a group.

• Col. Orange, copperbell, kaosoe and 2 others like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#25 Liberiton

Liberiton

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:40 AM

Just have a round table discussion to discuss it. If you stole the ship than having a legitimate seeming face is preferable to "Your registration does not match any known owner. Prepare to be boarded."

Your payment to the pilot could be to maintain the ship before giving him an equal cut. That way he technically gets more because it's "his" ship but he has to keep you around because he can't fund its maintenance on his own or solo pilot very well. The rest of the party gets a fair amount based on the quality of the jobs - for my crew, amongst 8 of us - this typically meant about 300 credits per job on average, the rest going into the party pool to fund larger expenditures (and our face character's freaking robot dog). The pilot owns the ship but the rest of us pretty much have the contacts to get the jobs and more unconventional needs (my connection to the Bothan spynet got an imperial mark removed).

The way my game is run:

The pilot clearly owns the ship, but isn't the leader of the company.

Reward is earned.

Maintenance taken out of total reward for the ship/crew needs before disbursement.

Remainder assessed, even amount given to all crew.

Leftovers from that placed in group fund.

The group fund is the real kicker, since it is typically many times the size of our individual wallets we negotiate with each other on spending it (except for our face player who bought a robot dog last time - we're going to resolve that at some point). Typically we use it to "top off" purchases we can just barely not afford individually, and when we have enough we upgrade the ship, speeders, skiff, etc. The whole system technically keeps us dependent on each other, although at times we've been split up and decided to keep windfalls between the ones that did the job (basically when people don't show for the game). This money strategy has been very useful at keeping our characters from getting too rich and just equipping our way out of having to use good tactics - we can't afford massive repairs and such so we've actually talked our way out of 2/3rds of our potential confrontations in space.

Ironically since we're playing Firefly style, and given that our pilot is great at flying but seems to suck at astrogation, every time we exit hyperspace something goes wrong with the ship and we end up spending more on repairs.

Great solution for that, just replace the robot dog's brain with an astromech's and bingo! Instant let's-not-fly-into-a-star ability. Actually it sounds like you have a great roleplaying group, everybody has their own goals and agendas and something to keep them all strapped for cash. 

"The Orcs let out a victory 'Woot'!"

#26 HiroKedyn

HiroKedyn

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

In our game, we, by which I mean I, renamed the Krayt Fang to the Drunken Mynock. I own and pilot it. Money hasn't been an issue with us but, whatever money we earn goes to the ship first and I keep the rest in a "company" account. I did this so that we wouldn't have to deal with a bunch of people deciding to run off and go shopping and spend an entire session just doing that, which really annoys me and it keeps it simple. Plus, I have this unnatural talent for screwing up the GMs plan and managing to steal, I mean procure, the enemies ship and giving it to a crew member and paying them that way, while simultaneously building crew loyalty and expanding my growing pirate fleet. If anyone needs money, I take it out of the company account and give it to them. In our last game, I unloaded some of our illicit goods and negotiated a better deal to help our bodyguard get some better armor.

The group is rather trusting leaving the pirate captain in charge of the money. I'm not sure why I'm the group leader, out of all the characters, I'm the worst choice, yet I'm the one keeping our ragtag group together.

#27 rhombusleech

rhombusleech

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

I have a scoundrel in my group with a gambling addiction. He won their ship at the beginning of their first session in a game of rock, paper, scissors against me. He had another PC pilot it since they had better ranks, but the group recognizes it as his ship, even allowing him to name it. When docking in Formos, I levied a 30 credit docking fee and he asked the group to help split it and most of them refused. "Hey, that's your ship, not mine.."

It's going to be interesting to see how that dynamic develops as we progress further into the game. I've had another player mention to me outside of the game that he might take advantage of the PCs gambling addiction and try to win the ship away from him.. 

#28 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

We've got a Gand Gadgeteer, Twi'lek Scoundrel, Wookie Marauder, Bothan Thief, and Droid Assassin.

The Gand entered the captains' cabin when we first acquired the ship, flooded it with highly concentrated amonia gas.  The droid can come and go as it pleases but has no dreams of grandeur, no one else bought Rebreathers, so I'd say the guy who made the captain's cabin uninhabitable to everyone else owns the ship.

Just something to consider :P .

I hope that cabin came with an airlock, otherwise the whole ship is uninhabitable.  At best, it now smells like a kitty cat did a number one on the carpet(s).  *sigh* That wasn't the Wookie carpet was it?

(IRL I design sensors for lethal toxic gasses.)

#29 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

The ship belongs to either the pilot, or to whomever the pilot is indebted to. The rest of the PCs are not passengers, or they would have simply been dropped off at the next stop and expected to pay for the ride. They're not necessarily crew, though that's probably where they should be headed. Crew payment is done as Shares, not percentages. What Share a PC/NPC is worth is negotiated, possibly on a job-by-job basis (unless/until they formally become crewmembers, which might be worth a bonus as further incentive). Seniority tends to affect how many Shares someone gets (e.g., a rookie might start with only half a Share, and still be expected to do a ton of work).Shares can be awarded (by the pilot, or by the controller interest/real person owning the ship) spur of the moment as further incentive. Shares are paid out on completion of each job.

UHF and Ghostofman really hit on it. The Ship takes priority over Shares and is Maintained out of Net. Shares, including the Ship's, are paid out of Net. The Ship spends its Shares on Upgrades.

Obviously this can lead to Conflict, and this is A Good Thing. Especially when you consider who actually pays out the Shares. If the PCs are paid by the Controlling Authority then that's that. If the Third Party pays the PCs directly after the job, and the pilot then divvies up Shares, then there's opportunity to stiff not only the PCs (since the Ship has to be Maintained/Repaired), but the Controlling Interest. And what happens when you Dump Cargo? Good times all around, to be sure.

6x X-Wing, 4x Y-Wing, 4x A-Wing, 4x B-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1x Firespray, 10x TIE/Line, 4x TIE/Interceptor, 2x TIE/Bomber, 2x TIE/Advance, 1x Lambda (all official FFG minis)

Plus whatever custom minis I feel like printing on my personal high resolution 3D printer.

#30 Romper

Romper

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

I don't think there should be rules for this situation. This is the kind of thing that makes for great roleplaying. Let the players fight it out and come up with a solution on their own.

#31 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:51 AM

In our game the ship isn't the property of the party. They took it from a politician on Coruscant they blackmailed and who is now blackmailing them in return. "You got dirt on me? Well, I got dirt on you now too!"

Eventually he is going to want his ship and his R2 unit (one of the PC's) back.

#32 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

I don't think there should be rules for this situation. This is the kind of thing that makes for great roleplaying. Let the players fight it out and come up with a solution on their own.

With all due respect, no it doesn't. Quite the opposite. This is the difference between player knowledge and character knowledge. The rest of the party knows that they can mess with the ship-owning player and he'll have to buckle to keep the group together. I would and I have left groups over this. (It's logical for the character to leave, and I'm not rolling up another character, especially when we need a freighter captain, only to have the same thing happen again)

As someone who's actually worked as a commercial operator, let me put it this way: There is no debate. You pay my fees or I'm leaving (actually, I never show up to begin with). Try arguing with a cabbie or moving company some time. Especially try doing it after the fact. I've seen people arrested for it (don't argue with cabbies in the Middle East).

Think it through. The character who owns the ship is either a member of the group or he is not. If he is, you have to pay upkeep on the ship, even though he owns it. You all get the benefits of it being there and it is far and away the most expensive asset the group has. Everyone else gets to spend credits on new toys and increasing their station in life, but the pilot is mired in maintenance, docking and customs fees? I don't think so. Refusing to pay upkeep sends a strong message that the pilot is not part of the group.

There are two outcomes here: Expect to get a bill for room & board, transport fees, etc. Or, and this is what would actually happen, a visit from the local port authority for failure to pay a fare, followed by the pilot leaving, and probably taking your stuff to recoup his losses. Seriously, in a galaxy-spanning environment where it's so easy to make money and the guy has his own transportation, he's not going to stay with a group of aliens without a contrived excuse, get shot at, and get stuck with the bills. Would you? When you say yes, you're thinking as a player trying to keep the gang together, not as a character with bills to pay.

What do you think would happen if the pilot was an NPC you had to keep on retainer? You don't think his fee includes all those costs?

Or the pilot is the leader of the group, in which case it's still not up for debate, because he can always find the crew he needs for a given job and he sets what everyone's share is. I generally wouldn't recommend watching reality TV, but watch Deadliest Catch.

And as for the player that wants to take advantage of the player whose character has a gambling addiction... Discourage him from doing that. To quote Han, Yeah, but who's going to fly it? If you want to play up his gambling addiction and take his ship, you have an NPC do it, then you adventure to get it back. When you let a PC do it those PCs can't ever work together again. You're not friends with your bookie or the guy you just lost your house to or your ride to. Now, if the guys grew up together or have known each other for years, and it's become a running gag that they keep losing the ship back and forth to each other, sure.

Great opportunities for role-playing should not result in PCs drawing down on each other, and that's exactly what would happen in the SW universe, especially out on the Rim.

6x X-Wing, 4x Y-Wing, 4x A-Wing, 4x B-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1x Firespray, 10x TIE/Line, 4x TIE/Interceptor, 2x TIE/Bomber, 2x TIE/Advance, 1x Lambda (all official FFG minis)

Plus whatever custom minis I feel like printing on my personal high resolution 3D printer.

#33 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:31 AM

With all due respect, no it doesn't. The rest of the party knows that they can mess with the ship-owning player and he'll have to buckle to keep the group together. I would and I have left groups over this.

There is no debate. You pay my fees or I'm leaving.

There are two outcomes here.

Or the pilot is the leader of the group, in which case it's still not up for debate

Sorry to just quote some snippets but... Seriously, come on dude.

Isn't it a bit over the top with the whole "my way is the right way and you are wrong to disagree"-attitude?

When I read posts like yours, filled with horrible past experiences, severe and strict rules that Ensure your presence at the table and advocating charging game money to your team mates  then I feel that "your way" would never be necessary in "our game" because I play my games with mutually respectful adults that want the others to enjoy themselves.

#34 Jkilla41

Jkilla41

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

In our new game, kicking off this weekend (I'm excited), technically my Corellian Bounty Hunter owns the ship. BUT! My Bounty Hunter's Obligation is to the Pilot of our group and me and the player agree that the characters see each other as brothers and likewise see the ship as theirs. The Doctor (played by my wife) will have been hired prior to the start of the game, and my Bounty Hunter is on contract with her to be a bodyguard. The last player is a FSE that is stowing away on our ship and we are basically hiding him from the Empire. So the other two players don't mind the deal with the ship and me and the Smuggler have agreed to keep it ours, I like using the expression I am Chewie to his Han.

- J

#35 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

With all due respect, no it doesn't. The rest of the party knows that they can mess with the ship-owning player and he'll have to buckle to keep the group together. I would and I have left groups over this.

There is no debate. You pay my fees or I'm leaving.

There are two outcomes here.

Or the pilot is the leader of the group, in which case it's still not up for debate

Sorry to just quote some snippets but... Seriously, come on dude.

Isn't it a bit over the top with the whole "my way is the right way and you are wrong to disagree"-attitude?

When I read posts like yours, filled with horrible past experiences, severe and strict rules that Ensure your presence at the table and advocating charging game money to your team mates  then I feel that "your way" would never be necessary in "our game" because I play my games with mutually respectful adults that want the others to enjoy themselves.

I've had exactly three bad gaming experiences in almost 30 years of gaming, so I'm pretty comfortable.

Trying to narrow it down to me claiming "my way or the high way" is a gross mis-characterization. I provided reasons, you attacked me. You can keep that. It's not about "ensuring my presence at the table". There are people here advocating how to take advantage of their team mates, but apparently me pointing this out makes me a bad guy? I don't think so. As a player, yeah, I'd be pretty ticked if my teammates conspired to steal my ship. As a character, there would be consequences. What kind depends on my character and what the circumstances were. Regardless, it would result in the characters not working together any more. A co-worker stealing your car doesn't mean you guys go grab a beer.

There's give and take at the table, things you can do and things that you can't. A lot of times stuff that we see and people refer to as "good role-playing" really isn't. Staying in character, those incidents result in the party breaking up. Hey, sometimes it happens, sometimes you have to roll a new character. Sometimes it's a case of the people thinking they can do it because it's a game, though in reality they would never do something like that.

It's interesting that you accuse me of charging PCs, but feel it's perfectly okay for them to do the same. Maybe you could try justifying your reasoning? You think it was okay for the group to tell the captain that he owns the ship, he pays the port fees, even though they're in port because *they* wanted to be there, but it's not okay for him to then charge for room and board? They set the arrangement, not him.

Like I said, if he's part of the group, it should be a non-issue. If he's not part of the group, then don't be surprised when you get the bill. This is *the* difference between having a personal license and a commercial license. On a personal license, you can charge everyone their pro-rated share and nothing more. On a commercial license, you charge whatever you can get.

Step back and look at this from the characters' points of view. A ship captain has bills, plain and simple. The first time he meets the party, he's going to quote a price that covers those operating costs and also includes profit for him. This is what you expect. Realistically he's leaving when the job is done, especially if he's getting shot at. If things transpire where everyone wants him to stay, and he wants to as well, those bills still have to be paid. Making him pay fees and maintenance from his own coffers results in the party being stranded. Again, realistically, he'd just leave.

It's consistent with everyone else's expectations. When someone quotes you for a service you know they have operating costs and you know they're included. It's not like you're buddy giving you a ride to work. (which, incidentally, frequently involves gas money when it becomes recurring)

You know Han was being paid. You see him being paid. ANH and ESB it's not even up for debate. ROTJ it's debatable. He still wasn't a True Believer. After he becomes a General in the NR he's definitely getting paid, they just stopped talking about it. Unless we believe that military commanders and politicians suddenly stopped getting paid?

So, sure, let the players sit down and talk it out, but anything different from some form of the group paying upkeep and fees is really just the players gaming the other player. The *players* might do that, but the *characters* would not.

#36 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

On a personal note, maybe you could quote in context? Because using snippets makes us both look bad. You presented those snippets as me, out of character, saying that, when in point of fact, that would be in character, for any pilot, and that's how I presented it. Again, I've worked as a commercial operator.

#37 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

On a personal note, maybe you could quote in context? Because using snippets makes us both look bad.

Trying to narrow it down to me claiming "my way or the high way" is a gross mis-characterization. I provided reasons, you attacked me.

Dude, I said "I'm sorry to quote some snippets" so I think it would have been pretty obvious to anyone what went on. Also, I figure they will have read it once they got to my post.

I however did not attack you at all, nor did I mean to do that.

I've had exactly three bad gaming experiences in almost 30 years of gaming, so I'm pretty comfortable.

I'm happy to read this. your post had me believing you not only had bad experiences but extremely bad experiences.

There are people here advocating how to take advantage of their team mates, but apparently me pointing this out makes me a bad guy? I don't think so. As a player, yeah, I'd be pretty ticked if my teammates conspired to steal my ship. As a character, there would be consequences. What kind depends on my character and what the circumstances were. Regardless, it would result in the characters not working together any more. A co-worker stealing your car doesn't mean you guys go grab a beer.

I totally agree.

There's give and take at the table, things you can do and things that you can't. A lot of times stuff that we see and people refer to as "good role-playing" really isn't. Staying in character, those incidents result in the party breaking up. Hey, sometimes it happens, sometimes you have to roll a new character. Sometimes it's a case of the people thinking they can do it because it's a game, though in reality they would never do something like that.

Agree.

It's interesting that you accuse me of charging PCs, but feel it's perfectly okay for them to do the same.

How do you reckon that I would feel that would be okay? I don't.

On a personal license, you can charge everyone their pro-rated share and nothing more. On a commercial license, you charge whatever you can get.

I can't imagine anyone playing like that. I just wouldn't welcome it at my table. That is all.

Step back and look at this from the characters' points of view. A ship captain has bills, plain and simple. The first time he meets the party, he's going to quote a price that covers those operating costs and also includes profit for him. This is what you expect. Realistically he's leaving when the job is done, especially if he's getting shot at. If things transpire where everyone wants him to stay, and he wants to as well, those bills still have to be paid. Making him pay fees and maintenance from his own coffers results in the party being stranded. Again, realistically, he'd just leave.

I have never played like this. Ever.

I am not saying you are doing it wrong or telling you to change your way of playing. Enjoy the game all you want. Howver, n this scenario the captain feels like an employee instead of a party member. I like the games where the players form a team that do not pay each other but split the gains and survive together.

You know Han was being paid. You see him being paid.

And I saw him return. Establishing above all that kinship and a cause actually meant something to him and he was more than the designated driver.

So, sure, let the players sit down and talk it out, but anything different from some form of the group paying upkeep and fees is really just the players gaming the other player.

I agree, but could aso never imagine gaming like that either. So while you think you are making perfectly valid arguments towards what others are saying I am saying that neither style of play appeals to me and therefr I did not think it weird to give my opinion. I in no way wanted to attack you or be rude. If it did come across as such then I humbly appologize.

#38 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

I just think it comes down to basic honesty I guess...

Having a pilot "own the ship" doesn't seem to be in keeping with the way the game is laid out in the rules. The game states "the party gets a ship", not "the pilot gets a ship" and thus giving him 120.000 more starting credits because of it. That seems ridiculous in my opinion.

This would not make him just one of the crew, not someone getting his fair share of whatever fortune the players come into, or whatever trouble they encounter.

It would make him a contractor that starts of with 120.000credits more than the rest and then demands pay.

#39 Bloodtooth

Bloodtooth

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

Although Hombre did not put it very well, he does have a point. After all FFG have decided to start their SW franchise by getting us to play the scum of the universe, ie Bounty Hunters, Smugglers, Mercenaries, Scoundrels, Thieves, Hackers, Politicians and probably a few lawyers as well. None of these types are exactly the Leia Orgaana of the local Womans Institute are they? If they wanted that they should have started with Age of Rebellion. Also virtually all the light freighters only need two crew to get by.

#40 Hombre

Hombre

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

Let me try to clarify a little bit. When I said the difference between a personal and commercial license is the ability to charge, I'm talking about the real world. In a gaming context I can easily imagine it being the same.

I'm right there with you in wanting the pilot to be a part of the team, but you have to be realistic about it. If he's the only one that's paying for gas, port fees, registration, maintenance (and even upgrades) then he's going to be unhappy with not having money to spend on fun like everyone else. Even if he's not, the party is going to end up getting stranded because he won't always have enough/make enough to cover upkeep.

Really, imagine the conversations. Heck, have your players sit down and do it. Introduce a brand new pilot. Unless he's completely shirking his responsibility, that is, not even remotely playing in character (and that is bad role-playing), that character is going to be just like Han in ANH: Here's my rate. If things go well and he stays, upkeep has to be dealt with and the only fair way to do it is for everyone to contribute equally. It's not even hard to do it.

Now, if you, as a GM, don't want to worry about finances, that's different. It's like playing D&D and no one ever buys food. Some groups just don't track the piddly stuff and I'm cool with that. But the questions was posed: Who pays for it? So it's important to some people. For those people, there's only one way to do it. It's not about keeping a player at the table, but keeping the character in the group. The characters have to have motivation. Screwing each other over, whether it's stiffing on the tab or conspiring to steal a ship, might be fun for the players, but it absolutely destroys the characters working together.

I'll try to keep these relatively short.

I was playing an old school Ranger in AD&D with a new group. This group was a bunch of power gamers. Tons of high power spells and magic items. Kill one monster after another. Not particularly interesting. I never got to participate in any fighting because they were such a well-oiled machine that the big beastie was always dead before it was my turn. Well, they messed up and I had a chance. I had a bead on a dragon, arrow sighted, called shot to the eyeball. I rolled two natural 20s in a row (the DM required a second one) for the hit, then rolled max damage (complete with absurd bonuses that this group had given me because they felt I was under-powered). Killed the dragon and they were ticked. Shortly after we broke for dinner. The guy who invited me took me aside to let me know that the group felt that I was a power gamer and they didn't want me playing any more. I rolled a grand total of three dice in five hours. I literally laughed out loud and said okay and left.

With another group I was playing a WEG Jedi in ANH era. I asked if it was okay and the GM said sure, no problem. First time I went to use my lightsaber he informed me that it had been stolen. Apparently it happened the day before. Apparently I never noticed being bumped into in a non-busy place. I couldn't find supplies to build a new one even if I had known how (apparently I had forgotten how I did it the first time). The group wouldn't help me find it, either immediately or after the mission. So my character went off on his own to find it, which resulted in him leaving the party.

Same group, I had a WEG tramp freighter captain. Same sort of stuff we've been talking about here. I wasn't saying they had to pay me. I was saying they had to help with costs. They wouldn't and we got stranded on Nal Hutta. That is, I got stranded on Nal Hutta. I was back with the ship trying to get it working and then out of impound while they were off on a mission, and they went off-world. I took what was supposed to be a quick side mission for a little cash and a part and ended up never seeing the party again. A short while later I left the group.

"The party gets a ship" is just a bad rule if that's all there is. Someone has to own it (and it really shouldn't be a 120K ship, it should be 40K used, tops). If it's a benefactor/creditor of some sort that's cool, but it still comes down to one person owning it. I don't know about you guys, but I would never let a player start with a ship free and clear.

Dante, I don't know your gaming experiences, but here's some of mine. Games in high tech environments frequently start off with some players having expensive, high tech gear, including starships. It's generally understood that the character is not just now striking out on his own. Luke may have been 1st Level, but Han sure as heck was not. There's nothing ridiculous about it, and is really just an opportunity for adventure. Looks like you have a nice ship. Too bad you couldn't outrun that customs corvette and had to dump your cargo before they boarded you. Looks like the Hutts have put a bounty on you. Again. Or maybe you did lose the pink slip in a game of sabaac, but you decided to skedaddle before paying up, and now he's after you. There's lots to on out there.

That said, if "the party gets the ship" then "the party pays the upkeep." I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS