66 replies to this topic

#1 Bloodtooth

Bloodtooth

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:47 AM

Interesting situation.

The group consists of:

Technician / Slicer (No Piloting or Astrogation skills, but has Mechanic and Computer)

Colonist / Politico (Has Charm and Negotiation)

Hired Gun / Mercenary Soldier (Has Gunnery)

Smuggler / Pilot (Has the Debt Obligation)

Under the circumstances the YT-1300 was said to owned by the Smuggler. However, how much does he have to pay the others as crew or how much do they have to pay him as passengers? None of this seems to be in the books. Making the others co-owners was going to stretch the games credibility as the Pilot was the only character with the back-story to suggest he owned the ship. All the other PC's have skills that make them useful to the ship in one way or other however, so they can be used as crew.

Any help here would be appreciated.

#2 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

We run our group as an unofficial company.  The ship is one of the company's assets, so we all own a share of it.

Edited by Col. Orange, 11 February 2014 - 07:51 AM.

• Josep Maria likes this

What's written above is meant with love

#3 Bloodtooth

Bloodtooth

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

Unfortunately the player's back-stories made trying to use that idea more or less impossible. What I am trying to find is the costs of paying crew or what passengers pay the owner. Also some regular cargo costs per encumbrance would be really useful.

#4 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:01 AM

I can't help you much with paying the crew; for simplicity's sake I'd say it just so happens to be exactly the same amount as the owner charges for food, a cabin and the air they breathe. ;)

Here are some quick house rules I whipped up for shipping cargo for when the players just want to make some money without it being an integral part of the adventure:

If the PCs are rolling to find a cargo for themselves, use a Negotiation check. The base roll provides them with 30% of their cargo capacity’s worth of cargo. For every s beyond the first they get +10%, and for every f they lose 10%.

Then, calculate price. The base price is typically 20 credits per encumbrance. For every a this goes up by 2 credits, and for every t it decreases by 2 credits.

The PCs are given B and b dice according to their general reputation. Being reliable shippers typically nets them a B, while having a history of failed shipments gives one or more b. If their Obligation is 70 or higher they get one b, and if it’s 30 or lower they receive a B.

When buying and selling their own cargo, use the table below to determine the price of the cargo by type.

Low tech: 44 credits/Enc.

Mid tech: 52 credits/Enc.

High tech: 60 credits/Enc.

Metals: 48 credits/Enc.

Minerals: 40 credits/Enc.

Foodstuff: 48 credits/Enc.

Medicine: 56 credits/Enc.

• copperbell and Kyla like this

#5 jerrypocalypse

jerrypocalypse

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:02 AM

If the pilot views the other members as useful, there's no reason why he can't just be like, "You do your part and we split the profits."

If you really want to divide it up differently, I wouldn't go with set credit amounts to pay the crew. Instead, I'd go with a percentage of whatever they make from the job they happen to be doing based on how useful that crewmember's skills are in realation to that job.

• Col. Orange and Kshatriya like this

#6 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

I would think payment would come from the jobs they take in the form of some percentage, much like other edge groups. Unless they work for some galactic corporation and draw a paycheck.

Edited by mouthymerc, 16 February 2014 - 08:29 AM.

• Ghostofman likes this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#7 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

Smuggler / Pilot (Has the Debt Obligation)

Just an observation, but technically couldn't the Debt Obligation holder own the ship? Just sayin...

On a more serious Note, Mouthy Merc is probably on a good track. The net profits from each run would probably be divided into shares and the shares distributed to the crew based on seniority and job.

So for example just pulling some numbers outta my motivator... Captain gets 3 shares, firstmate/copilot 2, crew chief/loadmaster/engineer 1.5, crew 1, rookie/trainee/greenhorn .5.

So say you make a run with a  ship that has a crew of a captain, a firstmate, a load master and an engineer, three crewers and a rookie. You take the profits, take out the repair/replenishment costs and a percentage to cover ship upgrades, incidentals, company assets, licensing, ect and you are left with 15,000 credits. You your crew total comes out to 11.5 total shares. Soooo 15,000/11.5= 1,304. So Captain gets 3,912, the 1st mate 2608, the load master and engie 1956 each, the crewers 1,304 each, and the n00b gets 652 and a feeling of accomplishment.

Now among your players who gets how many shares is up to them...

Edited by Ghostofman, 11 February 2014 - 09:36 AM.

• Col. Orange and Kyla like this

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#8 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

The ship is owned by an outside Obligation, and the ship gets 1 equal share of any loot the players plunder in their endeavors. 

The ship generally gets first crack at any moneys for repairs... which is frequent, and considerable.  Upgrades have generally come out of the player's pockets.

Other than that I haven't dwelt on the details.

#9 Crimson Death

Crimson Death

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

The human does.

• Col. Orange, UHF, Doc, the Weasel and 3 others like this

#10 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

The human does.

That's species-ist, core world scum!

• UHF, Crimson Death and NatemusMaximus like this

#11 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

The human does.

That's species-ist, core world scum!

This coming from some sort of bird...  :rolleyes:

"Squawk!  That's species-ist!  That's species-ist! Squawk!"

I would remind you that The Empire has brought peace and prosperity to the galaxy.  And we have done so in the most humane way possible.  The last thing The Empire needs is advice from some Egg Laying Nerf Herder!

Lets leave the brain work to those with the brains, shall we?

• Col. Orange, Lotr_Nerd, GrabsGranite and 1 other like this

#12 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

That is all true, I suppose.  And yes, I would love a cracker.

• UHF, Lotr_Nerd, GrabsGranite and 1 other like this

#13 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

A single session of PvP play can give 90% of the answer to this question. Hopefully the "owner" can operate the ship.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#14 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

SOmeone needs a captains license and technically he would be the "owner"

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 9/6/14 'Beyond the Rim: Episode I'

Last Update 9/20/14

#15 OggDude

OggDude

I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

UHF had a good idea, having the smuggler "own" the ship due to a debt obligation that he'll need to pay back.  If the others help him with the obligation, they can become part owners of the ship.

You could also give the smuggler a junker ship and have him give partial ownership to the crew if they help him fix it up and maintain it.

End results the same, with the group owning the ship.

Oggy

Get the latest SW Character Generator and GM Tools (Version 1.3.2.0, Released 9/19/2014) 

Drop BoxManual Install  Web Install     Google DriveManual Install  Web Install

#16 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

I wouldn't assume that the pilot always owns the ship. They could be hired on to fly just as easily as a mechanic is for maintenance. The backstories should determine who (if anyone) holds the pink slip. (There's a Malcom Reynolds comment in here somewhere)

In our group, it's the Doctor. He won it off a guy in a Sabacc game. He usually is the least useful person in either flying or maintaining the ship, but he's the owner.

Edited by Doc, the Weasel, 11 February 2014 - 11:19 PM.

• Col. Orange, Kshatriya and copperbell like this

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#17 CrunchyDemon

CrunchyDemon

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

We've got a Gand Gadgeteer, Twi'lek Scoundrel, Wookie Marauder, Bothan Thief, and Droid Assassin.

The Gand entered the captains' cabin when we first acquired the ship, flooded it with highly concentrated amonia gas.  The droid can come and go as it pleases but has no dreams of grandeur, no one else bought Rebreathers, so I'd say the guy who made the captain's cabin uninhabitable to everyone else owns the ship.

Just something to consider :P .

Edited by CrunchyDemon, 11 February 2014 - 05:01 PM.

• Col. Orange likes this

Proud member of the Gand Anti-Defamation League.

#18 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

I'd say it's entirely up to the group as to who the proper owner of the ship would be in any given campaign.

In an EotE one-shot that I played in back during the Beta, the ship belonged to the Smuggler/Pilot, with the rest of the group "coming together" for a job that likely got us into some hot water with both the local crime syndicate and the Imperials.

For a one-shot adventure that I ran (was supposed to be the launch point for a campaign, but never got past that initial session), the group ship (a second-hand L19 freighter) was mostly owned by the Explorer/Fringer, a Twi'lek free trader that was determined to make her fortune in the space lanes rather than shaking her goods in a skimpy costume for leering spacers, with a doughty Wookiee grease monkey (Tech/Mechanic) as her first mate and having a partial stake in the ship (due to his having done a lot of the repair work).

In the EotE Skype game I was playing in, the group ship was effectively "on loan" from a Mid Rim university as part of doing a recon of a remote Outer Rim site for a possible excavation (turned out we were able to glean most of what there was to glean on our recon trip).  We were allowed to keep the ship in exchange for performing future jobs of that nature, and while my PC was the pilot, he certainly didn't pretend to have any claim to ownership of our beat-up YT-1300.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#19 Crimson Death

Crimson Death

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

We took the Krayt Fang after we killed the previous owner. It's registered under my character's false name due to me being a human, but I don't have any claim to it honestly. We all are equal owners to it.

• Col. Orange likes this

#20 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

We took the Krayt Fang after we killed the previous owner. It's registered under my character's false name due to me being a human, but I don't have any claim to it honestly. We all are equal owners to it.

Did you keep the Wookie furs on the floor?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS