Smite

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

RAW is not fairly clear, since "creature" actually has many meanings.. ;)

#22 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:44 AM

RAW is clear and it would take higher order rules-lawyering to argue that vehicles or inanimate objects could be targeted.

I will concede that there is a fair likelihood that RAI is different (given that 5E could be used to attack vehicles, theoretically); going with RAW is fine with me here, as far as what is affected goes.

I will include a note in the above post about Smite regarding RAI.

Next up is Astrotelepathy. I would like to reconcile the rules in the Core Rulebook with the rules in the Navis Primer. Question: how would you guys modify the rules therein for Librarians? Librarians are more effective at messaging directly from the battlefield, right?

Alex

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#23 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

I would say it would be quite a **** move from GM to deny Smite from targeting inanimate object.

Why's that? One power should not be the be-all end-all for every combat situation.

#24 Routa-maa

Routa-maa

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

@Kshatriya

I gave my example in my post.

And it is just my opinion.

Muutokselle annamme Elämän, Elämälle annamme Muutoksen.

#25 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:57 AM

Smite has drawn concern before:

http://community.fan...page-3?hl=smite

Maybe it would be better to turn it into a semi- or full-auto attack with ROF 8. That's the TT equivalent as per my conversion rules.

...yeah, I guess it would make more sense as Smite allows you to strike a character model 4 times in the TT. Adjusted the top post.

Alex

PS For reference:

362px-UM_Librarian_combat.png

Edited by ak-73, 18 February 2014 - 04:20 AM.

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#26 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

Goddammit, it is NOT clear. If it were, we would not be having this discussion.

"Seems clear to me" and "is clear" are different things. The fact is that there is no reason, conceptually, based on the description of the power, for it to affect only living things. Moreover, the power that it is supposed to be modelling in TT does affect inanimate objects. Which leads to the strong suspicion that "creature" is simply a flavor term.

If it did, it would logically, say... ignore artificial armour. It would also be written that it does not affect, say, servitors, or daemons, as does every other power that only affects living things.

Edited by bogi_khaosa, 18 February 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#27 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

Well, you're free to come up with your own interpretation of course. Any of my players that would try to make the case that a power that affects creatures also affects by RAW inanimate objects would be in trouble. The term creature leaves no doubt in my mind at least what RAW means.

Anyway, check out the top post, I have already moved on and rewritten the whole thing.

Alex

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS